Accessibility changes @Robmo

fartbox

Apr 29, 2023
Robmo I tagged you in this thread because I see you are active on Reddit, but I do not like using Reddit.

Accessibility is often overlooked from a developers POV but it is extremely important to the lower end of the gaming bell curve; which can make or break your game, the ability to recruit fresh blood into your game is what separates the MMO's that died and the ones that survived.

What is the state of accessibility in Mortal 2? Poor

What do we mean about accessibility? Average time to return to task (ATRT), Travel time, downtime. ATRT is measured by how long it takes you to return to your corpse geared if you die.

We expect players to die in a game about dying, should we also expect them to spend more time traveling then dying? No, unironically we want them to spend more time dying because if they're doing that then that means they're still fighting, which is a good thing.

Right now ATRT is moderate for established guilds but extreme for new players, solo players, casual players, seasonal players. This an area I think Mortal could improve upon and I am confident it will result in a higher player retention rate if improved upon.

The changes:
1. Fast travel as ghost(Blue players only) - We just have to accept that items that are soulbound will move around the map freely, we shouldn't concern ourselves with people moving items as a ghost, a separate economy for capes/trinkets/and other fungible ghost items like starter sword exist for that reason.
*A blue player can speak to any priest while as a ghost and teleport to any major city priest .
Incentivizes murder in wilderness, and restraint in non-wilderness areas.

2. Faction Hubs: Tindremic,Risar,Khurite,whatever
nine Faction hubs added to the game: 3 Risar/Rest whatever
Strategically located near hotzones, have red priest, have market, have full crafting amenities but no refining amenities, have bank, have 2 guards. Risar hub has 3 guards. Guards are Risar commander strength with a 100m leash range. and will pull out bows if their target isn't engaging in melee with them. Randomly change aggro. Guards drop nothing when killed and award 45clade. Guards have a 5minute respawn.

Regular guards work on reputation or criminal flags/Risar guards work on reputation only, you can criminal flag freely in front of them and they wont interfere in fights between risar positive individuals, they attack anyone not reputable with Risar, Risar reputation decays at a rate of 1 per 24hours.(Max +rep 20) Only way to get Risar reputation is killing hub guards, hub guards penalize reputation from their faction if killed. New thursar clade replacing old risar reptuation: Gain double reputation from killing faction hub guards.

Doesn't this devalue strongholds or houses? Minimally, eventually you will get ganked in one of these hubs, and you will lose your items. You assume a risk by crafting, buying or trading in these hubs, they offer only moderate protections and no doors to close.

Footnote: Risar hubs should not be in areas where there are risars, because killing risars lowers your reputation. Think of of hubs as forward expeditions for their factions. So a Khurite hub near tindrem or fab and a risar hub west of undercroft in the meduli valley for example.

Attachments

• bg,f8f8f8-flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg
    bg,f8f8f8-flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Reactions: Rahz and Robmo

Robmo

Community Manager
Staff member
Dec 9, 2021
I dont thin tags work in titles but I did see it!

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Summoning Henrik to the thread. Send your energy.

lol, I know it's not only cuz of me, but it was funny to throw that in a post. I didn't do it a lot, but I did use it for effect. Apparently, they cut the cord on that. Which is even funnier. O well, man. Nothing to see here.

fartbox

Apr 29, 2023
Its time for a new age in Mortal. There's no reason to gatekeep spawning and gearing. The only argument against it is that naked griefing can be easier if there are more accessible spawning and gearing options. But those type of people are currently griefing horses in towns naked regardless. The current ruleset hasn't prevented naked griefing and its also bad for the game, therefore it must go.

With fast travel as long as you are blue, if you are being "griefed" you can simply move to another area and never be found again by your assailants. This update will greatly improve the quality of life and quality of play for most players.

Lets give people the tools they need to play the game at a basic level even if they are not a member of an established guild. Spawning and gearing.