A Year Later This Game Still Has Potential

Gorr

Apr 11, 2022
Pennsylvania
Just wanted to join in the forum discussions and talk about the game. Question: If you could have just one content update what would you like to see added? Anyways about the same time last year was the first time I discovered MO2, and although it was kinda rough at first I remembered enjoying it and feeling a sense of mystery and nostalgia. I took a break from gaming to focus on buying a house and work, but now that things are slowing down and I’m settled I decided to give this game another go. Some things I wanted a year ago like campfires which have been added and I’m very happy to see that, although I was hoping they’d be craft able from cutting down trees. Content has made its way which is a good sign and overall I’m really enjoying the game. I’d like to be able to converse with NPCs but I haven’t seen or heard anything like that coming.

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
Territory control with sieging.

Its the only thing everyone on the server is waiting for. The only thing that will make pvp mean something. Everything else is just fluff.

Its a bit comical talking about “potential” when this game has been out for 13 years and still cant count more than a few thousand players. Unrealized potential is pretty much synonymous with Mortal Online.

Last edited:

Gorr

Apr 11, 2022
Pennsylvania
Well I’m glad to amuse you, I haven’t been aware for 13 years so I can’t understand the frustration. As for whether anything else is just fluff, well that’s possible but it would add great value.

KebekLorde

Jan 27, 2022
I want diva system to explore more builds without needing to reroll.

Campfires are craftable from trees. In your action skill menu you now have combine tool which can be used to combine 100 units of both granum and any wood to create a campfire anywhere.

Talking with NPCs I think is supposed to be a part of the citizen behaviour update that is the last step on current roadmap so basically 2 major updates away from now (aprox in the next +/- 6 months).

Jybwee

May 28, 2020
I agree with Jack D. that Territory control is probably the most universally wanted/anticipated. And with just fundamental mechanics would give levels of depth to the game.

But i am equally excited for the citizen behavior, table games, and thievery. I love the patches that contribute to that sense of a real breathing/nuanced world.

I would also love more survival game type of systems. Crafting extremely basic equip in the wild typa stuff. Even while understanding all the potential grieving that may accompany it.

Reactions: Amadman and Gorr

Gorr

Apr 11, 2022
Pennsylvania
I want diva system to explore more builds without needing to reroll.

Campfires are craftable from trees. In your action skill menu you now have combine tool which can be used to combine 100 units of both granum and any wood to create a campfire anywhere.

Talking with NPCs I think is supposed to be a part of the citizen behaviour update that is the last step on current roadmap so basically 2 major updates away from now (aprox in the next +/- 6 months).
Wow thats awesome thank you so much! I was wondering what that combine tool did. This is all very exciting news :) And I’m with you on the rerolling because as of right now I’m just considering having an alt account.

Reactions: Amadman

Gorr

Apr 11, 2022
Pennsylvania
I’m very excited for table games too, perhaps down the road more crafting will become available by using the combine tool. It probably already has many uses I’m unaware of.

CherryKush

Jan 25, 2022
TC & Sieging since everyone wants that and then Thievery should be next because its just not Mortal if you don't have to keep an eye out for those dirty city thieves that would steal the clothes off your back if they could... ;)

Reactions: Amadman and Gorr

Bladeer01

Aug 1, 2021
i do want thieving , but i feel like it will again be guild content , thieving was sorta a tiny bit tricky to get in mo1 , i fear they will gate it behind something akin to group content , hope i'm wrong ...

TruthGlass

Mar 24, 2023
I like the idea of being able to pickpocket, but I don't like the idea of everything in the sandbox being on rails which has seemed like their goal so far. Which I believe has done more to hinder game play and freedom than anything else. So how does the gameplay loop turn out? You pickpocket and success or failure ends the interaction then you are either free or smoked by a lictor. This doesn't seem like it adds much to the game.

CherryKush

Jan 25, 2022
I like the idea of being able to pickpocket, but I don't like the idea of everything in the sandbox being on rails which has seemed like their goal so far. Which I believe has done more to hinder game play and freedom than anything else. So how does the gameplay loop turn out? You pickpocket and success or failure ends the interaction then you are either free or smoked by a lictor. This doesn't seem like it adds much to the game.
Another really cool thing you could do in MO1 with thievery was in battles you could steal an enemy mages reagents and end their reign of healing or damage dealing right then and there, was fun times 😂 So there can be more uses for Thievery if you get creative with it 👍

Reactions: TruthGlass

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
thieving was changed a couple of time in MO1 but the final one worked like this. A thief could snoop legally and look in peoples inventory. Then if he decided to take something (there was a pretty strict item weight limit) he would immediately go local grey to the victim. the victim would get a notification that he was stollen from. The victim then had to push or hit the thief to turn him criminal grey. At that point the guards would get involved. So thieves had to be sneaky and then run very fast to avoid getting hit.

The thing was that if you were careful and only carried large stacks in your inventory, nobody could steal from you. Couldnt even steel 100 silver because it was too heavy. Most thieves would steal bows, or regs or deeds and scrolls at most.

Last edited:

Grudge Bringer

May 28, 2020
they need to add helmets that dont cover your whole face. The merc helmet visor should be openable. In pvp everyone looks the same, bone merc plate. I hate that helmet.

• Haha
Reactions: Piet and Gorr

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
Intelligence played a heavy role in passive thief defense too.

TruthGlass

Mar 24, 2023
That sounds slightly better than what I imagined, but not by much. A chase without lictors sounds much more fun.

manure

May 7, 2022
That sounds slightly better than what I imagined, but not by much. A chase without lictors sounds much more fun.
It was pretty exciting in MO1.
I also hope that lictor guards wont ruin the fun in MO2. The way it is now, when you get insta killed by guards that shoot ultra powerful arrows and kill you with 1 or 2 hits, wouldnt work very well with thieving.

Imagine this situation : You steal someone, then he manages to push you... you go criminal... you die in 1 seconds by a lictor guard. No running, no chasing, no excitement, no nothing... its just an insta kill.
They need to change the criminal system, or the guards behavior toward thieves...

Reactions: Jybwee

Jybwee

May 28, 2020
It was pretty exciting in MO1.
I also hope that lictor guards wont ruin the fun in MO2. The way it is now, when you get insta killed by guards that shoot ultra powerful arrows and kill you with 1 or 2 hits, wouldnt work very well with thieving.

Imagine this situation : You steal someone, then he manages to push you... you go criminal... you die in 1 seconds by a lictor guard. No running, no chasing, no excitement, no nothing... its just an insta kill.
They need to change the criminal system, or the guards behavior toward thieves...
I'd like to see more depth, advanced pathing in town for the 1 to 5 lictors depending on town size. So if the thief doesn't pay attention they could be behind 'em and 2-3 shot em. Some sort of increased 'awareness' in banks for guards... could be done with int checks and line of sight... idk.
Personal taste: i'd love just text and no real ui feedback. Depending on int difference (or whatever metric) and a secondary skill<?>- it ranges from "There's a tug on your belt" "your purse feels lighter" "MagentaFox is looking through your pockets" "TurquioseFox has your House Deed". Would be obvious to players actively paying attention. Less so to semi-afkers.. and there goes your mortgage...
Then lets rethink the push mechanic! Altho it did invite a chase (and an immersive learning of the topography by an adept thief). It left out any build but max dex. And max /shout.
emote pointing and "/s guard" was a fun addition. But i'd like it so you have to focus on the thief while calling. Having a button to call out a thief would be nice. Dependent on having to keep your cursor over them while they run away. And a common sense rework of the guard system.
And with the new AI additions in upcoming patches, as with "citizen behavior" - I think there could be a nice niche for thievery.

If needed - maybe a primary (probably) or secondary skill to alter the int/awareness checks. idk, on either side? thief or other.

idk, so hard to imagine a system that won't be abused one way or another.

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
My dream for this game is for it to have a true living, breathing world where the creatures and environment have a life of their own independent of the players.

This was the holy grail of virtual ecology that Ultima Online originally had in mind, they even built a functioning living, breathing world where grass grew, sheep ate the grass, wolves ate the sheep, and the dragons ate the wolves. Not enough of wolves, and the dragon would start attacking towns. Sadly, it was pulled from the game prior to its launch.

If SV succeeds in creating something similar to, or even surpasses it, they will have cemented their name in the entire video game industry as the only game developer - indie even - to have created a virtual ecology and made it work in a mmorpg where UO failed to do so.

• Love
Reactions: Lako Urban

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
TC & Sieging since everyone wants that and then Thievery should be next because its just not Mortal if you don't have to keep an eye out for those dirty city thieves that would steal the clothes off your back if they could... ;)
MO1's thievign system will be dead content in mo2 because standing. Nobody wants to lose a standing snooping on a guy and getting pushed. So you can wait like an hour to go blue prob cuz this is MO2 and everything takes longer lol.

buffalo

Dec 3, 2022
Just wanted to join in the forum discussions and talk about the game. Question: If you could have just one content update what would you like to see added? Anyways about the same time last year was the first time I discovered MO2, and although it was kinda rough at first I remembered enjoying it and feeling a sense of mystery and nostalgia. I took a break from gaming to focus on buying a house and work, but now that things are slowing down and I’m settled I decided to give this game another go. Some things I wanted a year ago like campfires which have been added and I’m very happy to see that, although I was hoping they’d be craft able from cutting down trees. Content has made its way which is a good sign and overall I’m really enjoying the game. I’d like to be able to converse with NPCs but I haven’t seen or heard anything like that coming.
I would definitely argue the undoing of the combat system changes and associated timer changes because of the so called toxicity of mo1. Which would roll in Jatix point. Npc talking like engaging with vendors and having outcomes would make towns a bit more lively and I was thinking about it myself but that seems to be standing on the other side of like an arduous system that goes to my next question is what is the essence of toxicity of mo1 and mo2? if newbie death is the undisputed state of toxicity I don't see that it's a forward move. If not being able to get loot back is also bad I would say yeah these timers etc are frustrating. The theif also could be pushed out of towns and shoved into grey continuously that made them basically move to another city or re roll becuase everyone knew they where a thief. I think removing certain timers and also just going easier on these penalties will let us get onto the better content when the game is stagnated regardless.

When Starvault gets authoritarian it can be a good thing but mainly and strongly I argue it isn't best when it's reactionary. It's not my view that the strict takes from Starvault aren't what made MO very very good. I do agree there.

Last edited: