A Longer Ranger build

Enerzeal

Jan 3, 2022
Hi all need some help!

I want to make a loner ranger build.

Able to -

Ride, use a bow, use perhaps a short sword or dagger, maybe a 1h spear.

I'd also like to be able to manage in the wild for a solid amount of time, hunting, cooking meat, small bit of alchemy.

I don't want to min maxed, not looking for the best of the best. It's more a thematic build for thst loner ranger lifestyle.

Can anyone help?

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
mounded archer, Oghmir. For solo pve, solo mounted pvp, best bow damage and mitigation, melee damage and tankiness its hard to beat them.

otherwise go MA human for the extra skill points. You can fit more skills but wont have the top end bows, hp, stam, damage mitigation and self healing of Oghmirs. Humans are more versatile but not as strong as Oghmirs.

Last edited:

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Minus alchemy, that's basically what I spec as. The thing is that you are going to have to craft your own armor and bows if you going that route. You can do butcher (table optional), cook (adv/tools optional), botany, animal materials, the lore of whatever creatures you are gonna be chopping up (which in an immersion sense doesn't matter as much as you might think, if you're just going for meat), then you can get light armor crafting which I think takes 200 points and bowyery which, I dunno how many points it would take, depending on what bow you wanted to make. Dunno if you can fit in alchemy because I don't think there is a 'lite alchemy' like there is cooking. And then make weps out of bone and wood, too.

As I tell everyone, if you are looking for a self sufficient build, def take at least enough taming to pick up horses. Your whole build would be fine on the 'action' side, I think, but producing all of those things is gonna be tough, but you might be able to do it if you use strictly animal materials and wood, but it'll be tight. Then you wanna think about clade gifts. There aren't really any bow crafting gifts afaik, which is WEIRD. Humans get lore and extra prof points, but elves get +25 to botany and archery. Humans get +15(+15) to Mounted if you go MA, tho. Elves also get the extra spec on butchery.

The only thing I'm not able to fit in, in my mind, is alchemy, but I kind of wonder why you want alchemy. If you used only animal materials and botanical stuff (the bases are botanical, but they aren't really stuff you are gonna find in the wild everywhere for good potz.) I was pretty salted at how limited alchemy is, it's so base based. Where as in cooking you could like multibase. That never worked for me w/ alchemy, well prol because there aren't as many strong bases as there are strong bases in cooking.

You def want your armor to be max quality and light armor really isn't that bad IMO. Weapon crafting is something I am unsure of how many points it would take, but I can tell you pretty positively that it's not going to matter if you do 1h or 2h, dagger or spear. It's prolly gonna take at least 200 points as well, though. So, primaries

Botany
Animal Materials
Weapon crafting
Head crafting (pretty sure w/ risar stuff you can do without primary handle points)
Armor crafting
light armor
SCALE LORE if you want scale armor, somehow scales is a primary haha. They can also be used for weps.
Bow crafting
+200 maybe? I forgot if it's 300 or 400 to make short bows. I think it's bow (entry spec), short bow, long bow, assym bow.

then you can have points to play with for butcher table, individual lores, alchemy and reg pot making (if you wanna go that route?), advanced cooking or advanced cooking tools. Cooking in general is a secondary and getting animal materials and botany should be enough for 'ok cooking.' Not enough for us elitists, but enough for plebs!

Your weps are gonna be meh, your bows can be almost as good as any bows (unless some bows use advanced dendrology), your armor is gonna be good light armor, your pots are probably gonna be utter dog____ but maybe you can figure out some secret. Def would not be wasting salvia oil on that, but sea dew leaves maybe. Oh and you can take extractions to get mats like ore extraction for press and grinder or botany appliances for herbolo. There's a lot to play with and what you end up with will be... your choice, I guess. It's def possible. I think you'd be a lot safer to forget about alchemy but I am ALCHEMY BIASED.

Oh, and more than likely you are gonna want 200 pts to make pet bags.

Edit: but legit, w/ light farmed armor and MA on a just tamed horse, even without horse armor, you are gonna get smushed by most hard spec mounted builds, but you'd be surprised the amount of chaos you can cause certain ground builds or even some people just riding on horses w/ o attack skills. You could def come up off some people with that kind of stuff, but yea you'd get scraped vs a real squad... otoh, it'd be super easy to get back into the swing of things haha. Low investment and potential to squeak out some Ws.

Last edited:

Enerzeal

Jan 3, 2022
Minus alchemy, that's basically what I spec as. The thing is that you are going to have to craft your own armor and bows if you going that route. You can do butcher (table optional), cook (adv/tools optional), botany, animal materials, the lore of whatever creatures you are gonna be chopping up (which in an immersion sense doesn't matter as much as you might think, if you're just going for meat), then you can get light armor crafting which I think takes 200 points and bowyery which, I dunno how many points it would take, depending on what bow you wanted to make. Dunno if you can fit in alchemy because I don't think there is a 'lite alchemy' like there is cooking. And then make weps out of bone and wood, too.

As I tell everyone, if you are looking for a self sufficient build, def take at least enough taming to pick up horses. Your whole build would be fine on the 'action' side, I think, but producing all of those things is gonna be tough, but you might be able to do it if you use strictly animal materials and wood, but it'll be tight. Then you wanna think about clade gifts. There aren't really any bow crafting gifts afaik, which is WEIRD. Humans get lore and extra prof points, but elves get +25 to botany and archery. Humans get +15(+15) to Mounted if you go MA, tho. Elves also get the extra spec on butchery.

The only thing I'm not able to fit in, in my mind, is alchemy, but I kind of wonder why you want alchemy. If you used only animal materials and botanical stuff (the bases are botanical, but they aren't really stuff you are gonna find in the wild everywhere for good potz.) I was pretty salted at how limited alchemy is, it's so base based. Where as in cooking you could like multibase. That never worked for me w/ alchemy, well prol because there aren't as many strong bases as there are strong bases in cooking.

You def want your armor to be max quality and light armor really isn't that bad IMO. Weapon crafting is something I am unsure of how many points it would take, but I can tell you pretty positively that it's not going to matter if you do 1h or 2h, dagger or spear. It's prolly gonna take at least 200 points as well, though. So, primaries

Botany
Animal Materials
Weapon crafting
Head crafting (pretty sure w/ risar stuff you can do without primary handle points)
Armor crafting
light armor
SCALE LORE if you want scale armor, somehow scales is a primary haha. They can also be used for weps.
Bow crafting
+200 maybe? I forgot if it's 300 or 400 to make short bows. I think it's bow (entry spec), short bow, long bow, assym bow.

then you can have points to play with for butcher table, individual lores, alchemy and reg pot making (if you wanna go that route?), advanced cooking or advanced cooking tools. Cooking in general is a secondary and getting animal materials and botany should be enough for 'ok cooking.' Not enough for us elitists, but enough for plebs!

Your weps are gonna be meh, your bows can be almost as good as any bows (unless some bows use advanced dendrology), your armor is gonna be good light armor, your pots are probably gonna be utter dog____ but maybe you can figure out some secret. Def would not be wasting salvia oil on that, but sea dew leaves maybe. Oh and you can take extractions to get mats like ore extraction for press and grinder or botany appliances for herbolo. There's a lot to play with and what you end up with will be... your choice, I guess. It's def possible. I think you'd be a lot safer to forget about alchemy but I am ALCHEMY BIASED.

Oh, and more than likely you are gonna want 200 pts to make pet bags.

Edit: but legit, w/ light farmed armor and MA on a just tamed horse, even without horse armor, you are gonna get smushed by most hard spec mounted builds, but you'd be surprised the amount of chaos you can cause certain ground builds or even some people just riding on horses w/ o attack skills. You could def come up off some people with that kind of stuff, but yea you'd get scraped vs a real squad... otoh, it'd be super easy to get back into the swing of things haha. Low investment and potential to squeak out some Ws.

Brilliant reply, exactly what I was looking for.

So I can achieve this build but dropping alchemy might be the best bet?

I am okay with dropping it to be honest some people have suggested light magic use as a better option for healing up. I suppose and as cliche as it is - I am looking at Aragorn as a template for my character - light interactions in towns - I'm not a Xenophobe - but I'd rather keep myself to myself. I want to be the guy people ask for directions.

Could you possibly direct me in the way of base stats? I am talking height etc - Alvarin or Human - as much as Ogmir might be a good choice they look awful.

Nefnate

Jun 23, 2021
My Mind

I am okay with dropping it to be honest some people have suggested light magic use as a better option for healing up. I suppose and as cliche as it is - I am looking at Aragorn as a template for my character - light interactions in towns - I'm not a Xenophobe - but I'd rather keep myself to myself. I want to be the guy people ask for directions.

Could you possibly direct me in the way of base stats? I am talking height etc - Alvarin or Human - as much as Ogmir might be a good choice they look awful.
Human or Alvarin. Human for max spread on points, Alvarin for foot mobility and small bonuses to alch + skinning.

Reactions: Najwalaylah

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021

I dunno. I don't wanna? haha. I feel like with what you are doing it's a bad look to give you advice. Feels like it's something you should choose yourself. I would say that bows are based on strength as Jack said, but good short bows are low enough strength that you can use them with just about any character. I really dunno what you are trying to do in game.

I can say a few things that might be interesting tho!

Height does give you more HP, more melee dmg, but not bow damage. It makes your hitbox bigger, but up to a point if you are short you are gonna be going in on people's torsos. 180~ (which is like veela height) maybe because I'm used to it, seems like the perfect height to hit people in the head.

Elves are fast, but humans get a base of more points. +50, but it matters... MOST human builds, in terms of archer strength, can be made up for with the elf clade gift that gives +10 str (x2) for bows.

If you build a human, you can kind of trick the system for racial appearance. Like say you wanted to make a character that is 1/2 of one race and 1/4, 1/4 of two other races. You can build all of these combos to get various stats. There is something you can google like mortal online 2 character builder and mess with it if you want to go w/ that for the numbers. Anyway, if you go raw Race 1 race 1, race 2, race 3, you are going to look like race 1, but if you do race 2, race 1, race 3, race 1, you will look like whichever race comes first. I dunno if that makes sense, but you can 'hide' the dominant race (up to 1/2) in the 2nd and 4th slots and the 1st and 3rd (assuming they are different) will be like 'the dominant,' and the first will be what race your character will come out as. For instance, my human is half sidonian, and I think their hairstyles are super wack. Not gonna get into what I feel like is KINDA SKETCHY by SV in terms of race design, but, for that reason, I did not want my char to appear (I almost always make female chars ha) as a sid. So I did Sard/Sid Khur/Sid and it made my character appear sard. If I had put Khur first, it would have done khur, and you can do it any way, up to 1/2, so it will give you plenty of options.

Even though I did end up getting a 2nd acct because I just love elf speed too much, when it comes to being self sufficient, I do think human is getting close to the only choice because of their bonuses. I also hope they buff them a bit more because combat-wise, they are inferior. But, I mean, it's up to you to spec your char! At least you should be able to make it appear as you want to since it seems that matters to you (and does to me, too.) But otoh, once you've experienced the feeling of an elf running... it's hard to go back.

You sound like someone I might want in my guild due to you personality type haha. I kinda know how you feel tho, regardless.

Enjoy.

Reactions: Icegoten

nazgo

May 29, 2020
definately drop alchemy, that requires an entire character. Skinning and cooking as a combo can work, and skinning(/butchering) is usually really good for money. Melee skills + archery is possible, combining that with low CC horses is possible. You are not gonna be a proper MA, so no pvp on horse, but still good enough to pve on your mount, and pvp on feet.

Race wise, veelas are more fun on foot, but humans are better on horses, so which ever you prefer.

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
definately drop alchemy, that requires an entire character. Skinning and cooking as a combo can work, and skinning(/butchering) is usually really good for money. Melee skills + archery is possible, combining that with low CC horses is possible. You are not gonna be a proper MA, so no pvp on horse, but still good enough to pve on your mount, and pvp on feet.

Race wise, veelas are more fun on foot, but humans are better on horses, so which ever you prefer.

Yeah once you get past the initial phase of discovery and 'muh secret potion' you realize alchemy isn't really a great profession to be in unless you want to treat it as a second job where you network and get clients

Reactions: Culinary

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Yeah once you get past the initial phase of discovery and 'muh secret potion' you realize alchemy isn't really a great profession to be in unless you want to treat it as a second job where you network and get clients

yepppp, I was like "I'm gonna do alchemy," at some point after I was bored doing everything else, but once I realized it was all about gathering (or buying) massive sea dew leaves or salvia oil, I was like NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Cooking was much more flexible, and I tried some of the trix I used with cooking, and they didn't seem to work with alchemy. It's basically like old MC when TM axes were a necessity, super richman profession. The buy in/investment was too high, even for testing. It's kinda shameful that alchemy was what it was when it could have been a deep, interesting system like cooking. There should def be ways to stretch pots w/o watering them. It should be about more than just xtra multiplying bases.

Nomad

Mar 2, 2022
Problem is we still can't build a camp fire in teh wild so yo have to haul food no matter what or make stops in town