Why Thievery Should be Exempt from the Vote and Prioritized

Sally

Dec 2, 2023
Look at literally everything on the list.

Nothing on that list largely negatively impacts how another player may play the game in any significant way that other skills don't already do.

You look at all the magic schools, and nothing there is really any different from what mages can already do, more or less.. Just different ways of doing damage or defending oneself.

Thievery however? Thievery makes a BIG change to the way people have to play. Now, the area people thought was safe is no longer as safe.

Now, most people are selfish.

Do you think people will vote to make the game MORE difficult for themselves if they never intend to play thief???

EVERYONE who does not want to play as a thief has a vested interest in making sure thievery is NOT in the game.

Why?

Because that makes the game more difficult for them.

This is why thievery HAS to be exempted from the vote.

It is the ONLY thing on the list that people who will never play thief will actively vote against because it will make their time in the game more difficult.

You have to understand PEOPLE ARE SELFISH. They DO NOT CARE what is good for the game. They just want it to be easier for themselves. Put Thievery at the front of the queue, it needs to be in your game. Do not let these soft annoying people soil your game with these selfish opinions that do not think outside of themselves. The game is better with the thief dynamic. Your game literally has NO rogue class, a key archtype in medieval fantasy. You need to put this playstyle in the game, or it just feels incomplete and limited.

There are genres built on this style of play, that means it is in high demand. You are missing out on a HUGE audience by not implementing a style of play that relies on subterfuge.

Last edited:

Xenom

Feb 23, 2022
I would say quite objectively that they shouldn't waste any dev time on something only a handful of ppl want until more important stuff is added. It's just a niche in the niche if you are honest.

Because either they make this a pve only sneak around playstyle so you can have the experience like in ESO as an example and they can do this quick and dirty without messing with the majority that would only be pissed if it would be another half baked griefing mechanic in town.

If they involve player stealing this has be be rock solid which I doubt it will be in the first place and take way more dev time as it adds to the game.

Sally

Dec 2, 2023
I would say quite objectively that they shouldn't waste any dev time on something only a handful of ppl want until more important stuff is added. It's just a niche in the niche if you are honest.

Because either they make this a pve only sneak around playstyle so you can have the experience like in ESO as an example and they can do this quick and dirty without messing with the majority that would only be pissed if it would be another half baked griefing mechanic in town.

If they involve player stealing this has be be rock solid which I doubt it will be in the first place and take way more dev time as it adds to the game.
A handful??

It is literally a key archtype to the medieval fantasy? It is astounding it isn't in the game already tbh.

How many people play rogues on world of warcraft? How many stealth games exist? This is NOT niche at all, there are games and genres BUILT on mechanics like this.

Xenom

Feb 23, 2022
yeah solid reference to playing rogues in WoW ^^ at best it would be compareable with the sneaking/stealing in ESO tho still totally different game type also there it's still not the main game for most. in MO2 it would even more be a niche and there just doesn't justify to take away precious dev time from more important things no matter how much you would like it.

i am not saying it shouldn't be added as surely it adds something but with so many other way more mandatory things missing that really effect way more ppl it just would be a bad call to waste time on it atm.

and in regards to a handfull...depends on who you ask. i for one hardly know anyone that would care for content like this *shrug*

Sally

Dec 2, 2023
yeah solid reference to playing rogues in WoW ^^ at best it would be compareable with the sneaking/stealing in ESO tho still totally different game type also there it's still not the main game for most. in MO2 it would even more be a niche and there just doesn't justify to take away precious dev time from more important things no matter how much you would like it.

i am not saying it shouldn't be added as surely it adds something but with so many other way more mandatory things missing that really effect way more ppl it just would be a bad call to waste time on it atm.

and in regards to a handfull...depends on who you ask. i for one hardly know anyone that would care for content like this *shrug*
"more important things"

Like new armor? A new creature or dungeon? lol

Just because it isn't important to you, does not mean it isn't important to a lot of people.

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
There are also those of us who have never played a thief and never intend to. But we loved the invisible arms race and escalation that we had to wage against the thieves.

Life in town in MO2 is pretty boring right now without thievery to be honest. I had heaps of fun battling thieves in MO1 in Tindrem, and the thieves had fun trying to catch me off guard.

One of them got me when I was in the middle of logging off, made off with a few units of calamine. Another time a thief stole a book while I was trying to write in it. The guy tore the page I was writing on out of the book and gave it back to me.

I got pretty good at defending myself eventually that one of the most well-known thieves complained to me that I had nothing in my backpack for them to steal. There was another time I followed a thief by pretending to be doing something else, waited for the right moment and pushed him. The lictors descended on him and he was dead before he could even turn and run.

This is what I mean when I say we need thievery. It's not just the thieves that want it, but non-thieves as well.

KebekLorde

Jan 27, 2022
As much as I would like to see thievery coming soon, it is quite likely going to be a bit more nieche then the things that are top 10 of the current vote, last roadmaps focused on a lot of mage content so footies (which are major part of the playerbase) are starved for footie content and the vote reflects that heavily.

Hopefully once all these footie features are added, people will want to see something new and unique such as thievery, I really wanted to know where on the list it was considering staff magic was 11th.

Highlander

Oct 27, 2021
they wasted time with ue5, thievery is a whole new class with multiple skills and new mechanics new tools.. they need 2 years for it ahah

CherryKush

Jan 25, 2022
I would say quite objectively that they shouldn't waste any dev time on something only a handful of ppl want until more important stuff is added.
I agree but disagree on "only a handful of people" So I purpose they copy paste the MO1 system into the game now, and then if they want to make Thievery into a more elaborate system later "when they have time" then so be it. But at least it would be in game now so those of us that play that playstyle could actually hop in the game and play. win/win 🌟

Xenom

Feb 23, 2022
"more important things"

Like new armor? A new creature or dungeon? lol

Just because it isn't important to you, does not mean it isn't important to a lot of people.

the roadmap has some odd things for sure never said otherwise and we can only hope it's somewhat a short term roadmap or 2024 is gonna get a boring mo2 year. for me personally i would love to have some decent small group PvE sites where you could like go for farming or pvp hotspots that are no ride through POI's and something like this hasn't even been on the list. this is way more fundamental than thievery and they apparantly do not even think of it. still there is way more impacting things that we could vote on than thievery that would benefit more players, like the veteran system, getting rid of afk pet leveling with breeding and stuff like that.

again never said thievery shouldn't come but i bet that way more ppl would appreciate other things before thievery overall, that's all i am saying and you act like thievery is the no1 that should be added when so many basic things are missing or need a rework.

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
Thieving was a core part of the first game. It should have been in game long before now.

Thieving can even potentially lead to less random killings do to players having the ability to snoop someone.

I don't know how many times I was snooped in the wild in the first game and only chatted with after.

With out that ability players are more likely to just kill me to see what I have.

manure

May 7, 2022
EVERYONE who does not want to play as a thief has a vested interest in making sure thievery is NOT in the game.
Thats exactly what I stated on the other thread.
Its more than obvious Thievery will never succeed on a votation poll.

Its just like putting the possibility to murder and dry loot someone on votation...
If it wasnt live in game already, who in the nine hells would vote for that, besides the few players who roleplay assassins ?

Its OBVIOUS that any evil game style will never win any poll.

Its unbelievable how these devs cant understand this !

I say we make a poll to change the game designers !!

1) vote to keep current dev team
2) vote to hire new devs

What do you think will be the result ?

Reactions: Sally

Sally

Dec 2, 2023
the roadmap has some odd things for sure never said otherwise and we can only hope it's somewhat a short term roadmap or 2024 is gonna get a boring mo2 year. for me personally i would love to have some decent small group PvE sites where you could like go for farming or pvp hotspots that are no ride through POI's and something like this hasn't even been on the list. this is way more fundamental than thievery and they apparantly do not even think of it. still there is way more impacting things that we could vote on than thievery that would benefit more players, like the veteran system, getting rid of afk pet leveling with breeding and stuff like that.

again never said thievery shouldn't come but i bet that way more ppl would appreciate other things before thievery overall, that's all i am saying and you act like thievery is the no1 that should be added when so many basic things are missing or need a rework.
I think it is more important than you think it is.

It is not a niche playstyle at all. In basically all RPGs, in a fantasy setting, i've most often seen some way of playing a rogue type class. You have game series that are based on thievery. You have lots of games based around stealth, and a lot of games that include subterfuge as an option of play.

By not tapping into thievery, they're missing out out a HUGE audience. Just go to google and type in "stealth games", and you'll see not only countless mainstream titles with stealth style mechanics. When even mainstream games are including this type of playstyle, who have teams dedicated to tuning into what is popular and building around it, it is a pretty safe bet that it is exceptionally popular.

Just to list some games from google :

Splinter cell (Many games)
Metal Gear Solid (Many games)
Hitman (Many games)
Thief (Many games)
Assassin's Creed (Many games)
Elder Scrolls (Many games)
World of Warcraft
The last of us
Deus Ex
Alien Isolation
Batman Arkham Asylum
Literally every ubisoft game ever made..
Basically every MMORPG ever made.

Of course, the list goes on, these are just a handful of games, some of these games we've all heard of and are built around stealth. Some of them just feature stealth. This is not just some side piece to the game, this is a whole audience. A big audience too, because mainstream AAA games build around maximising profits, they build to what is popular, these games are proof of that.

Some of the games listed above are listed as franchises that are part of some of the most popular games of all time.

You say there are more important things.. The only thing on that entire list that i'd say deserves a spot close to thievery, it is the deva system. Everything else is below thievery. Aside from that? Polish. They cannot afford to keep skipping on this audience.

Last edited:

CherryKush

Jan 25, 2022
@Henrik @SV Let's do another poll (y)

This time we are going to vote on where the community thinks we should put the Multiverse Spiritism Book. Here's our choices.

1. Let's keep it a rare prize and keep it in the dungeon making it hard to get so prices stay at or go higher than 20k gold for the book.
or
2. Lets put it up for sale at every magic vendor for 20 gold so its easy and accessible for everyone even new players.

How do you think the players are going to vote? Of course they are going to vote for choice 2 so it's easier for them to acquire. They are always going to vote the path of least resistance for themselves. So as Sally said above, it should not even be up for a vote because of this fact alone.

Mortal has always prided itself on being a "Hardcore MMO" and Thievery has always been a mechanic that made this game stand out from the rest (I know that's how I found it). That mechanic alone made it one of the best games on the market for those of us that like to play the Thief/Rogue/Assassins role.

Just throw the towel in and copy and paste the MO1 system you already have into the game until you have time to work on it if its really going to take over 2 years. Let Mortal live up to its "Hardcore" reputation and let us play the role we want to play so we can finally jump back into your game. 🙏

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com

This time we are going to vote on where the community thinks we should put the Multiverse Spiritism Book. Here's our choices.

1. Let's keep it a rare prize and keep it in the dungeon making it hard to get so prices stay at or go higher than 20k gold for the book.
or
2. Lets put it up for sale at every magic vendor for 20 gold so its easy and accessible for everyone even new players.

How do you think the players are going to vote? Of course they are going to vote for choice 2 so it's easier for them to acquire. They are always going to vote the path of least resistance for themselves. So as Sally said above, it should not even be up for a vote because of this fact alone.

Mortal has always prided itself on being a "Hardcore MMO" and Thievery has always been a mechanic that made this game stand out from the rest (I know that's how I found it). That mechanic alone made it one of the best games on the market for those of us that like to play the Thief/Rogue/Assassins role.

Just throw the towel in and copy and paste the MO1 system you already have into the game until you have time to work on it if its really going to take over 2 years. Let Mortal live up to its "Hardcore" reputation and let us play the role we want to play so we can finally jump back into your game. 🙏
I hope the next feature poll will be done in-game instead of on Google forms open to any Gmail account.

Xenom

Feb 23, 2022
Thieving was a core part of the first game. It should have been in game long before now.

Thieving can even potentially lead to less random killings do to players having the ability to snoop someone.

I don't know how many times I was snooped in the wild in the first game and only chatted with after.

With out that ability players are more likely to just kill me to see what I have.
Sure this is nice but right now there is so many things that need improvement first on the basic level because such things still are more a thing of happens here and there maybe.

They are apparently quite slow with adding meaningful new things and before there is no decent pvp Hotspots be it group pve areas or these meteors.

mortal is a riding simulator first. Which leads to the stupid pet leveling which effects every player and they only want to add to stables with breeding odd enough, so breeding should be first also.

The world also is empty as hell and even darkfall back in its days had mob scaling with ppl in the area... I don't know about you but these mini spawns with 4 mobs here and there are just bad. In darkfall every decent mob spawn was a good way to farm, defend and pvp there and added tons of content. Should also be changed first.

Dunno there is just so many things way more important than thievery, when these are done sure but stop putting it in a way like this is the content the game needs the most when it just isn't overall.

Sally

Dec 2, 2023
Sure this is nice but right now there is so many things that need improvement first on the basic level because such things still are more a thing of happens here and there maybe.

They are apparently quite slow with adding meaningful new things and before there is no decent pvp Hotspots be it group pve areas or these meteors.

mortal is a riding simulator first. Which leads to the stupid pet leveling which effects every player and they only want to add to stables with breeding odd enough, so breeding should be first also.

The world also is empty as hell and even darkfall back in its days had mob scaling with ppl in the area... I don't know about you but these mini spawns with 4 mobs here and there are just bad. In darkfall every decent mob spawn was a good way to farm, defend and pvp there and added tons of content. Should also be changed first.

Dunno there is just so many things way more important than thievery, when these are done sure but stop putting it in a way like this is the content the game needs the most when it just isn't overall.
See, those things you mention are just more of what is already there, or slight alterations, improvements and polish.

They're not really adding anything massively significant.

Yes, we all agree the game could be polished, that is a given, and they do take time to do that.

Beyond that, when it is time to add a new system, i think there is none better than thievery in terms of the dimension it brings to the game, and the huge audience it taps into.

Xenom

Feb 23, 2022
See, those things you mention are just more of what is already there, or slight alterations, improvements and polish.

They're not really adding anything massively significant.

Yes, we all agree the game could be polished, that is a given, and they do take time to do that.

Beyond that, when it is time to add a new system, i think there is none better than thievery in terms of the dimension it brings to the game, and the huge audience it taps into.
That's true but as these are basic things effecting everyone and not even those are where they should be. Just look at how lackluster SV is with following up on fixing or improving things they added, like still waiting on permanent ritual tables, TC is a mess partly tbh, BM is a joke, ele is so many useless things and will be ages before being finished yet again.

That's why I am highly favoring the core first. Besides making core things better generally attract more players as more are effected.
thievery would get my vote when I would have to decide between a new mage school or thievery but everything else there was to be voted on would add more to the game if you ask me.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021

or

It should actually be like that, tho, haha. That would bring a bunch more players, too. Imagine all the players who see Henrik on stream like woahwoahWOAH and then look at what they have to do to get said magic.

Maybe not 20g, tho, but y'know 200g? Even at a hermit vendor.

RE: thievery, I also enjoyed the content tho I did not thieve. Sure, I had bags with water haha. I still got got a couple times and a lot of times I could have gotten got. There was still a window. I was doing massive pet ticket swap, someone got me once. When I was just starting to breed OP molvas (fuk da bs I started that shit rofl, nah but I was in there) someone grabbed like the first or second black molva breed pop I got. I was like noooo. I chased that dude all over MK.

No one ever snooped me to see my soph ingredients, either, luckily. I lived with that fear, too. Good thing people aren't nearly as imaginative as you'd think.

I do really think they have to make the combat faster, tho. Yea it's high skill cap but I promise you more people are looking forward to thievery than this sort of combat.
Even if it's like SSS+ tier skill. Not immersive or fun looking imo. Then, make more content accessible and add core mo features like thievery, lock picking...

The game is missing a lot of role playing elements. As I like to remind people, they are role playing whenever they log in.

I think people had to be there and see MO 'working as intended,' and since I came in p late, I doubt I saw the full glory, but there were some moments. Anyone just looking at player count is missing the magic.