Fish encyclopedia

Virin

Nov 20, 2020
It was a requested feature by 2 different people, both who are actually fishermen.
Instead of going ahead I decided to ask and make sure. The poll is pretty close too
Of course it is. People always want the easy way out.

Well here's to fishing. It was fun looks like it will get nerfed into the ground again like it did in mo1.

Daedylus

Sep 8, 2021
It was a requested feature by 2 different people, both who are actually fishermen.
Instead of going ahead I decided to ask and make sure. The poll is pretty close too
As a fisherman, I am requesting that it not be added at all. Part of the appeal of this game is the discovery of things. Guides for builds and how to prepare basic things should be given, but the more secretive parts should not be collected and consolidated. It is much more rewarding to find something, even if others have found it before, than to simply riding to a spot or in this case, without a small amount of trial and error.

Last edited:

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
Because it takes away from the profession as a whole. After every fishing secret is documented and publicly available, it only takes 100pts in fishing (which isn't much even with normal rates) and you're just as good as someone who dedicated weeks or months into it. It all comes down to skill points and you can't be a #1 fisherman (or an alchemist, or whatever) through patience and dedication. Can't be known for being a great fisherman in the same sense you can be known for being great at PvP, and hey wouldn't that be nice?

It also just makes things less interesting. No more the need to explore, just follow the guide and you're golden. And if you choose not to follow the guide, you're gimping yourself because the rest of the playerbase follows it. Curiosity, patience, and desire to find out stuff for yourself isn't rewarded but punished. It's as if outcome of a PvP was dictated only by your gear, your build, and RNG, and not your personal skill (and ping yeah). This is just wrong and i believe that wasn't the developer's intention.
i get that its nice to have discoveries to make but if someone independently makes the discovery and decides to share it, imo they're fully in their rights to do so. also if its a novice who just guessed a random bait/depth/location/etc then likely they wont immediately know how to isolate it in the same way that more advanced players do.

the nature of fishing is such that there will always be unknowns in the mix since the solution space is so loose. rng keeps it from ever being 'solved' so theres likely to be a better way to catch any given fish. most players will likely keep their discoveries to a set of friends or to their guild, but as any of us know, once more than one person knows something, its no longer a 'secret'.

-barcode

Reactions: Favonius Cornelius

Tashka

Dec 4, 2021
i get that its nice to have discoveries to make but if someone independently makes the discovery and decides to share it, imo they're fully in their rights to do so
It's called spoiler, except that in a competitive environment such as a full loot open world PvP MMO i am kind of forced to read it. Unless i don't care about being competitive that is. But i do.

Favonius Cornelius

Jun 4, 2020
The Empire
My issue right now is people keep hinting to streamers or people who want to make videos on this stuff. We didn't really have to worry about this kind of thing in mo1. And I'm not talking about just fishing either. I think mostly because nobody streamed back then. Everybody wants to be internet famous these days, but hey keep throwing out information and fishing and other things will be nerfed into the ground just like what happened in mo1. I really have no problem with people figuring out things for themselves but it's disappointing to me how eager some people can be to give out information.

You need to read the old MO1 forums before pretending like you know what you're talking about. Everything you are saying isn't true of the old days. There were tons of information available, there was crafting simulators, there was crafting guides.

Favonius Cornelius

Jun 4, 2020
The Empire
I guess we are in a new age where people don't understand the wealth of knowledge and everyone wants to be internet famous. It's unfortunate. You would get beaten senseless and priest camped in mo1 for so easily sharing information.

There's also the notion that we are testing a beta version of a game, and if everyone is in the dark then not everything will get tested. Secrets come and secrets go.

Favonius Cornelius

Jun 4, 2020
The Empire
Because it takes away from the profession as a whole. After every fishing secret is documented and publicly available, it only takes 100pts in fishing (which isn't much even with normal rates) and you're just as good as someone who dedicated weeks or months into it. It all comes down to skill points and you can't be a #1 fisherman (or an alchemist, or whatever) through patience and dedication. Can't be known for being a great fisherman in the same sense you can be known for being great at PvP, and hey wouldn't that be nice?

It also just makes things less interesting. No more the need to explore, just follow the guide and you're golden. And if you choose not to follow the guide, you're gimping yourself because the rest of the playerbase follows it. Curiosity, patience, and desire to find out stuff for yourself isn't rewarded but punished. It's as if outcome of a PvP was dictated only by your gear, your build, and RNG, and not your personal skill (and ping yeah). This is just wrong and i believe that wasn't the developer's intention.

Where are the smelting and mining secrets? Where are the lumber secrets? There's secrets in alchemy, but I think you overstate the degree of secrets around here in general.

We know from MO1 that all trades have a somewhat shallow depth, so I think you're reading into the number of secrets available.

Virin

Nov 20, 2020
You need to read the old MO1 forums before pretending like you know what you're talking about. Everything you are saying isn't true of the old days. There were tons of information available, there was crafting simulators, there was crafting guides.
You almost sound as mad as the one time I sieged your 1 man keep down and killed you when you logged in.

A LOT of information was spread in mo1 and yea some people released information out of spite just because they could. Some of my guildies were victims of it (fish oil for instance)

If you think fishing is already nerfed, you know nothing about fishing.

Favonius Cornelius

Jun 4, 2020
The Empire
You almost sound as mad as the one time I sieged your 1 man keep down and killed you when you logged in.

A LOT of information was spread in mo1 and yea some people released information out of spite just because they could. Some of my guildies were victims of it (fish oil for instance)

Oh, when did that happen? How many keeps do you think I've owned? The two keeps I ever owned were ninja sieged when I was not online, so if that's what you are honoring yourself over, pretty sad. LOL

EDIT: Ok technically I did build a third and sold it.

Cddizzym

Aug 28, 2021
I'm with Balvrikk above.

Its a matter of I will give out secrets on a trade-only and its a person I have to trust. (Not many to be honest.)

If its a common ass fish then fuck it I will just give that out because who wants to hoard the secrets of the herbeus.

We shall see if it gets nerfed. It may or may not, not like bitching on this forum will stop that. We had a map in MO1 and a forum with people releasing stuff. Its not gonna change and its gonna happen in MO2 :p

Orzokhan

Nov 8, 2020
So far all catches in MO2 are fish already reported being in MO1
This is the list of known MO1 fish, 32 in total (with twig). I think only scarlett wormster has never been caught (or at least reported)

Black Creft
Black Whiskerfish
Blood Kua
Blue Sorex
Blue Squirt
Boarfish
Brown Clam
Brown Nurook
Calxfish
Canna
Cristula
Cuprum Creft
Dragon Kelp
Giant Gutta
Gutta
Hammer Creft
Herbeus
Laake
Labrum
Lesser Thalassa Snake
Moon cup
Pond Viper
Red Squilla
Sand Ray
Scarlett Wormster
Silk Ray
Skull Kua
Trudis
Twig
Venom Cup
Ventriosus
Water Scorpion
There were 3 more fish added in a cave later in M01
Cavefish
Dark Catfish
Skullhead

Last edited:

Patience556

Dec 24, 2021
Brazil
So far all catches in MO2 are fish already reported being in MO1
This is the list of known MO1 fish, 30 in total. I think only scarlett wormster has never been caught (or at least reported)

Black Creft
Black Whiskerfish
Blood Kua
Blue Sorex
Blue Squirt
Boarfish
Brown Clam
Brown Nurook
Calxfish
Canna
Cristula
Cuprum Creft