Need NA servers

Kokolo

May 3, 2021
so youre telling me, they need 200k for buying the game, then 900k over 1 year to pay for 1 server? youre trippin or dont undestand how much server costs are.

As it stands right now, the game has only had about 100k put into it. Ive saw indie games release cheaper. The cost isnt an issue for me either, the cost constitutes an NA server. I can tell you right now, if there isnt atleast an NA continent, then most people who want to play from NA and SA wont play. Id before having up an NA server then getting rid of one when the playerbase drops. There is no downsides other than henrik willing to put the money we will be paying toward that.
You do realize there is more than a server cost to maintaining an MMO? They have to pay their employees, the company bills, software licenses, hardware upgrades, various office equipment, etc. And all of that in Sweden of all places.

Personally I'm not against the server being located on the east coast of NA (I am EU), but your cost analysis was lacking to say the least.

Kurbb

Sep 13, 2021
You do realize there is more than a server cost to maintaining an MMO? They have to pay their employees, the company bills, software licenses, hardware upgrades, various office equipment, etc. And all of that in Sweden of all places.

Personally I'm not against the server being located on the east coast of NA (I am EU), but your cost analysis was lacking to say the least.
lol take a wild guess how many people work at star vault.

I took the numbers you said, and did the math for you to show the disparity, i even looked up average servers costs. None of the people that work for them make 7k a month. Do you realize how much money that is? I dont think you do. The point is i can tell the EU players are completely against having another server, which would be better for us all.

Kokolo

May 3, 2021
lol take a wild guess how many people work at star vault.

I took the numbers you said, and did the math for you to show the disparity, i even looked up average servers costs. None of the people that work for them make 7k a month. Do you realize how much money that is? I dont think you do. The point is i can tell the EU players are completely against having another server, which would be better for us all.

There is no need to guess. There is financial information on their website. It is in swedish though, which I don't speak.

But again, that is 11 full time employees which doesn't cover external workforce by either freelancers or other software developers. The fur solution (gFur) alone is an external plugin by another company. I believe I heard Mats who made all the lore works as an external consultant now.

I understand some people being frustrated with what they believe to be simple issues, but dude. I run a small business myself. Shit costs way more than you'd think. So yeah, I believe I do realize how much money that is. Not the exact amount but nothing is ever simple and I do realize more than a few factors need to be accounted for.

Last edited:

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
so youre telling me, they need 200k for buying the game, then 900k over 1 year to pay for 1 server? youre trippin or dont undestand how much server costs are.

As it stands right now, the game has only had about 100k put into it. Ive saw indie games release cheaper. The cost isnt an issue for me either, the cost constitutes an NA server. I can tell you right now, if there isnt atleast an NA continent, then most people who want to play from NA and SA wont play. Id be up for having an NA server then getting rid of one when the player base drops. There is no downsides other than henrik willing to put the money we will be paying toward that.

I literally just did a quick search to prove to myself i wasnt retarded

"Simply put, an MMO can cost you anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand per month, depending on how many concurrent players and locations you want to support. For example, a 50k concurrent player base on an MMO may cost you ~$1500 per month, even with a bulk discount. "

Now with 5000 players, they would be making 72k a month off subs alone
Now that being said, a server for 5000 concurrent players would be around 500-800 a month. So there is no reason not to have that.
A server you say. You do realize the current "server" is a cluster of servers? right? Last game had a cluster of about 10-15. Im assuming the one we got now is higher than that.

If all of them are physical, I do not know. Probably not. There is also separate servers for database, then there is the storage for that... and so on and so forth.

Reactions: Kokolo

Rolufe

Jun 1, 2020
thats also wrong, the movement is server side. Everything is server side hence why there is "interpolation".

Making 2 or 3 servers that can house 1000 people is plenty for us. This whole problem would be solved by not being stingy with servers. Im not asking for tons of servers, but 2 or 3 so we can all play effectively. Im open to any suggestions anyone has on this, and im sure Henrik is taking stuff into consideration.
There has been considerations on setting up a American server cluster for another continent. As well as they are signed up for SpaceXs Starlink. But Starlink if i have understood it right will have about 100ping equal to that EU and eastern NA is currently having in game.

Rolufe

Jun 1, 2020
A server you say. You do realize the current "server" is a cluster of servers? right? Last game had a cluster of about 10-15. Im assuming the one we got now is higher than that.

If all of them are physical, I do not know. Probably not. There is also separate servers for database, then there is the storage for that... and so on and so forth.
Currently the map is split into 4 servers. Split is somewhere at sausage lake. Here is the MO1 nodeline map and then we had about 1k max players online at one time

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
Currently the map is split into 4 servers. Split is somewhere at sausage lake. Here is the MO1 nodeline map and then we had about 1k max players online at one time
I thought we had loads more than 4 in mo2, but maybe i'm thinking virtual ones rather than physical? I know Mo1 had tons because of the way nodes worked and didn't really work that great in the end.

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
I was dueling an EU fella (I'm in seattle) that was using a light weapon and my goodness the ping difference was staggering. Death by a thousand unblockable cuts. Really had me wanting to switch to a mage but I've decided to stick with melee and just accept the fact that there are super heroes/villains amongst us. NA server down the road would be nice. I was wondering, are there any advantages for us higher ping individuals? How can we leverage being slower than we think?
Yes there is, same as it was in MO1. Also called exploiting prediction. Use the fastest weapon there is and go all offensive. They will have a hard time blocking because there will be a delay on their end too. Blocking suffers from high ping, but not hitting. This was a workaround that a lot of high ping players had to resort to in MO1. Besically what he was doing to you…

a really dumb playstyle of besically who can hit the most and hardest before having to pull out to stam up. Yet all you can do when you cant block due to ping.

Moored

Mar 24, 2021
Yes there is, same as it was in MO1. Also called exploiting prediction. Use the fastest weapon there is and go all offensive. They will have a hard time blocking because there will be a delay on their end too. Blocking suffers from high ping, but not hitting. This was a workaround that a lot of high ping players had to resort to in MO1. Besically what he was doing to you…

a really dumb playstyle of besically who can hit the most and hardest before having to pull out to stam up. Yet all you can do when you cant block due to ping.
Hmm interesting. I think I will just need to curb my melee Dom fantasy. I'm trying out mauls, if I can hit it will be glorious.

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
Hmm interesting. I think I will just need to curb my melee Dom fantasy. I'm trying out mauls, if I can hit it will be glorious.
Friend did that during stress test, was actually really good if either you managed to "sneak" up on someone in a fight or tried to force a trade of blows. Just gotta make sure to hit and not get a handle hit.

Jhackman

Jun 6, 2020
Playing mo1 from hawaii(240 ping) I found cron 2h swords worked the best with the “just keep swinging technique”. It swings fast, low stam, hits pretty hard and more difficult to block then spears.

Reactions: Najwalaylah

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
Needs to be NA servers, the disparity between EU and NA fights is insane. Anyone who thinks its okay is out of their minds. You can tell right at the start of a fight if a player is NA or EU.

EU players outrun, and out range NA players no matter what. The interpolation is nonsense, EU players have massive advantage against the NA player.
Coming from mordhau with 32 ping and waiting til the last moment to block, doesnt translate here because if you play like you should, by waiting and reading, you will be feinted and unable to block the next attack due to the ping difference.

Of course there are gonna be upset fan boys about valid concerns, but there needs to be an NA server and an EU server. I know many people who would love to play MO2 but refuse because of the massive disparity. The ping is not equalized to everyone, you can tell just by fighting someone from a different region than yourself.
I dont really see the big issue here. After all melee combat is just a secondary fighting minigame within the game. At its core, Mortal Online is a tab target game and low ping is not really needed to play it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Najwalaylah