Poll - Should Spear / Polearm Animations be adjusted?

Do you believe the current state of hiding animations with spears and polearms is a problem?

• Yes - I would like the animations to be less abusable / more readable

Votes: 32 76.2%
  • No - I like the ability to hide the animations

Votes: 10 23.8%

• Total voters

Valoran

May 28, 2020
This is a simple poll to gather community feedback and opinion.

The topical question:

Do you believe the current state of hiding animations with spears and polearms is a problem?

Currently the thrust and right swing animations on spears and pole weapons can be interchanged quite easily, especially when moving around, attacking quickly and manipulating the camera in certain ways at certain times to trick ones opponent into blocking the wrong way. I'm sure most of you have experienced this already in game, or at least seen videos of it happening.

Please vote on whether you believe this is a problem and would like it changed, or if you like it being in the game.
When voting, please vote based on this topic alone and its relevance to the health of the game overall, isolated from how you expect the balance of the game might shift based on your choice, or how your personal playstyle might change.

Any relevant discussion is welcome, although the main event here is the poll.

When interpreting the results of the poll, remember that the answers are only a reflection of both the current closed beta community opinion, likely restricted to those few who either actively use these forums or click links in the Mortal Online 2 discord.

You might also interpret the poll results as a representation of those likely in favor of animation hiding in general, and those against.

D

Deleted member 44

I think the bigger issue is how character models move in general. You look up or down and your entire body moves in that direction. This doesn't make sense. I don't make my head perpendicular to the ground when I look up or down, and when I do look down//up my arms don't follow my head like some type of doll.

The other issue with combat is that there is no hard limit to turn speed. We got players turning in helicopters during fights to try and bug out the system. Without relying on some type of cheese we have no way to parry break or generate advantage during a fight.

Reactions: Speznat

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
I think the bigger issue is how character models move in general. You look up or down and your entire body moves in that direction. This doesn't make sense. I don't make my head perpendicular to the ground when I look up or down, and when I do look down//up my arms don't follow my head like some type of doll.

The other issue with combat is that there is no hard limit to turn speed. We got players turning in helicopters during fights to try and bug out the system. Without relying on some type of cheese we have no way to parry break or generate advantage during a fight.
What’s the alternative. Turn based combat, parry return online.

sure the up swings can be “fixed” but it’s so easy to parry so I don’t see why it’s an issue

D

Deleted member 44

What’s the alternative. Turn based combat, parry return online.

sure the up swings can be “fixed” but it’s so easy to parry so I don’t see why it’s an issue

Make the ring flash actually do something.

Player 1 - Charge to ring flash.
Player 2 - Parries. Swing staggered induced.
Player 1 - Charges and swings less than ring flash.
Player 2 - Has to block/parry again or will take damage.

Remove parry after swing. It's insane that I can swing a weapon with huge amounts of momentum and then easily pull it back to my body like nothing. This should be even more punishing with mass heavy objects.

Drastically increase the miss penalty. If you miss I want a 1-2 sec delay of action. Mispenalty was a great addition but if the player misses I cannot charge and attack (2h flakestone sword) and close ground before they are able to parry/block the attack.

Add shield bash. Creates no swing (1 sec) no parry (.5) seconds on reciever. Uses large amount of stamina from user.

Reactions: ValhallaRider

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
I am afraid to vote yes, because I am afraid of what they might do to "fix" it. I don't like fighting animation breaks as it feels like a complete guessing game, at the same time I don't like being parried 100% of the time either.

Slyy

May 28, 2020
Scotland
www.mortalonlinemap.info
I think the main issue is that the weapons were not balanced with how easy the swings are to hide in mind. Spear was always easier to hide so now poleaxe is too. Spear was really just great for stab but poleaxe can do all directions just fine. Almost like it has inbuilt animation hiding whilst other weapons take time to learn and master the art and angles to do that.

Not checked in a while but its all I saw people using for duels around Meduli for a long time. That alone shows its strength, 200 pts or not

Slyy

May 28, 2020
Scotland
www.mortalonlinemap.info

Indeed. There is a turn cap and when it was too high, it felt disgusting. Sadly some form of animation hiding from spins or angles is required because we don't have things like jab or kick to break a block. In MO1 it was also pretty easy to go behind a block due to desync, not anymore. All this makes parry king and it would be a mistake to make it even stronger.

Bernfred

Sep 12, 2020
if you cant make the combat work without broken animations and spins like the invisible 2H short-handle spear stab or the 2H sword overhead/right swing, then you better dont release it on steam.

Reactions: Speznat

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
Yeah lets remove all skill based things from the game. Maybe we could also have those giant arrows that turn green when you parry the correct direction like in Gloria Victis? Then nobody would ever misparry again, wouldnt that be awesome?

Reactions: Teknique

KermyWormy

May 29, 2020
California
I voted yes for no other reason than that SV needs to stop bandaid fixing things and do it right. Giving poleaxe the spear animations was a bandaid and done with no regard other than...people seem ok with these spear animations and that's an easy swap, so let's do that...but it's bad because it just created another problem because of the inherent dmg type differences between a spear and a poleaxe.

Short cuts nearly always lead to subpar results.

Poleaxe animations were bad, they should have been reworked and made good.

I don't personally like the weird animation manipulation...like I understand the perspective of people who make the point that having it atm it exists as a means of demonstrating some kind of a skill, but i see it as a workaround we do because of having poorly implemented animations and a stodgy parry/counter/parry counter loop that is not fun or rewarding on its own...but that is the problem at the core...promised additions to this shallow combat system/loop have not yet been realized, and Henrik's vagueness about what will be added points to them not knowing wtf to do about it.

Parry/counter has been trash since the day it was implemented in MO1 imo, and I just want something better.

D

Deleted member 44

I agree with what Bernfred and KermyWormy said. If SV doesn't improve the animation before release to the general public it will drive people from the game. Having a low population is going to result in the same experience we had in MO1; a dead game.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
It should be changed but if it is changed poles, and spears might not be viable. So they have to do some in exchange for it.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
Polearms are fine as they are but if they are given ANY utility against mounted combatants in the slightest other melee weapons don't have then they are ABSOLUTELY busted. Nobody will ever run anything else. They will just be the go to melee weapon.

Well actually not because mounted combat is complete trash against anyone in good armor even if horses were invincible. But if they actually make mounted combat good then they would be considered a must have.

So I'd say revert the animations on any polearm given any bonuses against mounts. Keep some of them the way it is if we want anti-infantry polearms but those ones get zero bonuses against mounts.

orbital

Apr 22, 2021
if they are going to change any weapon animations the number 1 priority should be axe & hammer thrust attack. please make them something usable like an uppercut instead of a 0 dmg poke. it would make these weapons an actual option to use

MyrmexThraxvágr

May 28, 2020
France
discord.gg
Yeah lets remove all skill based things from the game. Maybe we could also have those giant arrows that turn green when you parry the correct direction like in Gloria Victis? Then nobody would ever misparry again, wouldnt that be awesome?

Say that again. Skill based thing? So you mean to say that the spear animation is a skill of yours?
It is fuc**ng easy to produce it anybody who just started the game can do it no skill involved look at the poleaxe! But a two hander hidden swing? Try that.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
It is a skill and skill based but when you get the skill down it becomes RNG for even skilled fighters to see what it is. Its not like the animation situation doesnt take work to learn and get right.

strycio

Apr 1, 2021
Say that again. Skill based thing? So you mean to say that the spear animation is a skill of yours?
It is fuc**ng easy to produce it anybody who just started the game can do it no skill involved look at the poleaxe! But a two hander hidden swing? Try that.

2hsw hidden swing is just spin to win friend, but yeah it’s slightly harder to achieve, ill give u that. On the other side landing a swing with 2hsw is far easier than with poleaxes and swords imo.

Slyy

May 28, 2020
Scotland
www.mortalonlinemap.info
It is a skill and skill based but when you get the skill down it becomes RNG for even skilled fighters to see what it is. Its not like the animation situation doesnt take work to learn and get right.

I totally agree. Incidentally the animation hiding angles / timing provides a decent amount of skill and something to practice in fighting. The issue is that its far easier to do with poleaxe than any other weapon - feels like the animations come almost hidden inbuilt. Then you combine the fact that none of the weapons have been balanced with animation hiding in mind.

Nobody is saying remove animation hiding completely, I just think all weapons should have roughly the same difficulty to do so.

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
Nobody is saying remove animation hiding completely, I just think all weapons should have roughly the same difficulty to do so.
There's mad people saying that actually.

No limits to this community.