Nights have become ridiculous

a.out

May 28, 2020
I get the whole immersion thing and i do think it being really dark is cool...until you want to do something. If you get in a pvp situation or farming mobs its actually quite annoying seeing as 2h handers are most common and you can't hold a torch...nor can mages since they can't cast with a torch in their hand.

But yeah...that's why it was changed. Maybe the night vision will actually work and it won't be as annoying in MO2.
That's exactly the point though. It is something that hinders you. You have to overcome that problem, either by postponing that activity or using torches .. or a light spell .. or have nightvision .. or whathaveyou. Not every night should be pitch black, but it should be a factor that you wanna be aware of when planning things.

Some might also use nights for their advantage, adding more sand to the box.

Bogler

Jul 6, 2020
Keep dark nights in the game, don't listen to the crying babies who want constant ability to fight and roam when they want. Get a torch, or be a race with night vision. My most memorable moment in MO1 was transporting all of my gear to fabernum, accidentally, heading on kranesh bridge and dying to a invisible bowman when I first started playing. It sucked, but added so many different possible scenarios that could arise from it.

Anyone been in the jungle? Imagine traveling in the dark with torches and being ambushed on one of the roads only to run and hide in a dense bush until the fighting stops. So many possible moments to be had which would be ruined with bright nights. All bright nights bring to the game is allowing players to go fight, farm and travel whenever they please with perfect vision. You can still fight, farm and travel just don't be afraid of the dark.

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
i think with the hard limit on visibility distance they can afford to make the visible bubble a bit brighter since gamma still gives a big advantage for that area. I didnt try it but can you see players with torches out outside of your bubble? in GK some of the fires like the ones from the blast furnace show up outside of this range but they dont illuminate any area, you just see the fire.

-barcode

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
i think with the hard limit on visibility distance they can afford to make the visible bubble a bit brighter since gamma still gives a big advantage for that area. I didnt try it but can you see players with torches out outside of your bubble? in GK some of the fires like the ones from the blast furnace show up outside of this range but they dont illuminate any area, you just see the fire.

-barcode
100% agree

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
I intend to guide players through the wilderness as they transport their resources and whatever else under the cover of darkness, and arrive at their destination by dawn before anyone knows we were there.

Wesley Snipes

May 28, 2020
This is an example of when "hard core" really means how much can we annoy our player base....

No one liked eclipses in LO.

Evelyn

Jan 6, 2021
I would prefer immersion over ease of gameplay in this case.

Keep the dark nights, keep the gamma "fix"
The fix to people cheesing with gamma is fine and I support it. The visibility bubble does look like booty and is about the same range as torchlight, making torches p much just a nice way to tell me where you are so I can thunderlash you from outside your vision.

That being said yes I absolutely will be annoyed that they release this without also releasing night vision or off-hand torches at the same time.

Wesley Snipes

May 28, 2020
So dying and losing all your shit is fine, but a lil bit of darkness is "annoying"?
Whats LO?

Dying and losing your shit is a consequence of the game; I have no problem with that. Having to waddle through pitch black darkness makes the game more of a chore. Is the juice worth the squeeze? Will your customers get tired of having to fuck around in the dark for extended periods of time, or will they log off and do something else and log back on during the day.

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
Bubble should stay but I can agree the area that you can see should be brighter. Not just to prevent people cranking up gamma, but because upping your gamma becomes a thing you have to do to see enough to get around and be competitive and with the bubble its kind of moot to fight the gamma side of things. Put everyone on an equal playing field.

Bicorps

Jun 27, 2020
Let's not forget they made nights brighter in MO1 because there were so many complaints.

People complaints but in reality they dont really know why.

We just need multiple way to light our night ( different light source we can create ... or even just drop a torch on the ground).
I am for very Dark nights, but im against it if we dont have the tools to make light. Even if its just a shield with a torch holder on it.

Last edited:

MolagAmur

Jul 15, 2020
or will they log off and do something else and log back on during the day.
This is what a lot of people did in MO1. A good Smite game was about long enough for the sun to come back up ;). It was nearly impossible to win fights unless you basically made your screen white because your gamma was so high.

People should go look at all the night PvP videos before they changed it. You'll see what I mean. But hey, if you can't do that anymore then great.

Actually I did it for you...

Last edited:

Bernfred

Sep 12, 2020
This is what a lot of people did in MO1. A good Smite game was about long enough for the sun to come back up ;). It was nearly impossible to win fights unless you basically made your screen white because your gamma was so high.

People should go look at all the night PvP videos before they changed it. You'll see what I mean. But hey, if you can't do that anymore then great.

Actually I did it for you...
imo a forced pause is welcomed, it refreshes your mind and holds you back from over exhausting yourself. the night time should be shortened because alot of people will log out at night.

Necromantic

Jun 9, 2020
Nights were even darker in MO at some point. And it's always been the plan to have dark nights.
But tools and features for during the night are still needed.

Reactions: Kuroi

Kuroi

May 28, 2020
Naples, Italy
Nights were even darker in MO at some point. And it's always been the plan to have dark nights.
But tools and features for during the night are still needed.

imho they should just leave nights very dark BUT torches/lanterns should have bigger radius/area of effect, not just a little circle around you.

and of course we need to be able to use torches/lanterns without being in combat mode.

this way people should have no problem playing in dark nights plus torches won't be useful just for dungeons

Last edited:
Reactions: Zbuciorn

a.out

May 28, 2020
Dying and losing your shit is a consequence of the game; I have no problem with that. Having to waddle through pitch black darkness makes the game more of a chore. Is the juice worth the squeeze? Will your customers get tired of having to fuck around in the dark for extended periods of time, or will they log off and do something else and log back on during the day.
You don't "have to" waddle through the dark night, but it is a hinderence the game world might present to you at certain times - just like it might present you with a blood thirsty zerg. You can gauge when you might get a dark night, you never really know when you get ganked, so I really do not see the issue you are having. If you can't cope with the darkness, then stay home in your room - or as mentioned about 9000 times already use the tools the game provides to overcome the darkness.

I don't think every night should be 8 hours pitch black and I highly doubt that this will be the case. Having a potential pitch blackness every now and then only adds to the game for most people, except for you - and even that only happens in your head. Wait and see you might just embrace it.

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
You don't "have to" waddle through the dark night, but it is a hinderence the game world might present to you at certain times - just like it might present you with a blood thirsty zerg. You can gauge when you might get a dark night, you never really know when you get ganked, so I really do not see the issue you are having. If you can't cope with the darkness, then stay home in your room - or as mentioned about 9000 times already use the tools the game provides to overcome the darkness.

I don't think every night should be 8 hours pitch black and I highly doubt that this will be the case. Having a potential pitch blackness every now and then only adds to the game for most people, except for you - and even that only happens in your head. Wait and see you might just embrace it.
around 25% of a day is dark. Thats not a long time, people whining are probably pvp psychos that should stick to games like mordhau :p

Reactions: a.out

Wesley Snipes

May 28, 2020
around 25% of a day is dark. Thats not a long time, people whining are probably pvp psychos that should stick to games like mordhau :p

The fear should be that's it's obnoxious enough that everyone just won't go play mordhau leaving the game with a struggling population. There's already other obstacles for this game, this is just one more thing that will probably annoy people.