Year 1 For Mortal Online 2!

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
I love ya ROB, but if you wrote this, this is really, really bad writing in parts:

"As we all know by now, the launches of mmorpgs in recent years have not been without issues. Unfortunately Mortal Online 2 on January 25th was no different, and we experienced a massive surge of players trying to log into the game which far surpassed anything we have had in previous stress tests.
This influx of login attempts revealed some problems in our server structure and code that we sadly were unable to catch with the numbers we tested with in the past, which resulted in extremely long queue times.
Our programmers got to work on it right away, but after several successful hotfixes to increase the main server capacity by a few hundred at a time, we still weren’t supporting the amount of players trying to log in, so we needed to make the call and start working on alternate servers, which we called the Myrland Instances. "

No amount of words is going to explain it away, and its departure from the bullet point format of the other 'when the game was fixed' summaries stands out. What is awful is all of the 'weak/apologetic' clauses and adverbs. There are arguably NOT successful hotfixes, or if they were, they weren't successful in fixing the problem.

"Mortal Online 2 was faced with a launch problem most indie MMOs would envy: too many players! Despite the data we collected during beta stress tests, it proved too much for our servers to handle. Our development team spent many sleepless nights trying to fix this issue, and, in the end, we were forced to settle for temporary alternate servers ( "Myrland instances" ) while we stabilized the main server. This resulted in an unexpected deviation from our original roadmap."

Dunno if you need to go into what a shitshow it was beyond that. THEN touch on TC being pushed back, like NAMELY, pushing back our plans for territory control/siege. Don't wallow in it though. How we got here was uglier than any new player could imagine, and they need not hear it from this summary! Focus on what you've done now. This has to be for NEW players. You're over 1500 atm. Gotta get more in.

Sincerely,

Your writer bro. And yea, prol no one will listen to me, but trust me this once!!!!

Reactions: Hodo

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Another plea to fix, I know the e-mail is already sent, but this is gonna get more viewing than you think. Haha. I mean, it's gonna blow a small/med literary press out of the water. Don't underestimate the value of words, what people see first, engaging people! New PLAYERS.

You don't have to write it like I did just make the first part more potent/concise and in line with the rest, and focus on the positives! Again, nobody cares about other MMOs fails or hotfixes that didn't work. To those of us who were there, it was awful, but a year out, to nubs, I think they can understand the insurmountable problem of server flood. This is a good time. THIS IS YOUR MOMENT.

Mo2 IS DIFFERENT. Ultimately MO2 was no different... even in the context used, NO. Also, I wouldn't let on that your servers still can't support hundreds of players per battle. :eek: It's not lying, but that's a really tall order, and MAY NEVER HAPPEN, probably isn't on people's minds, to lay it out there makes people think it might happen at some point, and YOU DON'T NEED THAT STRESS ( no pun!)

w/e, just going thru... wailing for change.

Peacu.

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
While there's still a lot of stuff missing. The game feels MUCH better now than it was on launch. Which is made obvious by the recent steam reviews being mostly positive instead of being garbage.

Reactions: Xunila

Robmo

Community Manager
Staff member
Dec 9, 2021
I love ya ROB, but if you wrote this, this is really, really bad writing in parts:

"As we all know by now, the launches of mmorpgs in recent years have not been without issues. Unfortunately Mortal Online 2 on January 25th was no different, and we experienced a massive surge of players trying to log into the game which far surpassed anything we have had in previous stress tests.
This influx of login attempts revealed some problems in our server structure and code that we sadly were unable to catch with the numbers we tested with in the past, which resulted in extremely long queue times.
Our programmers got to work on it right away, but after several successful hotfixes to increase the main server capacity by a few hundred at a time, we still weren’t supporting the amount of players trying to log in, so we needed to make the call and start working on alternate servers, which we called the Myrland Instances. "

No amount of words is going to explain it away, and its departure from the bullet point format of the other 'when the game was fixed' summaries stands out. What is awful is all of the 'weak/apologetic' clauses and adverbs. There are arguably NOT successful hotfixes, or if they were, they weren't successful in fixing the problem.

"Mortal Online 2 was faced with a launch problem most indie MMOs would envy: too many players! Despite the data we collected during beta stress tests, it proved too much for our servers to handle. Our development team spent many sleepless nights trying to fix this issue, and, in the end, we were forced to settle for temporary alternate servers ( "Myrland instances" ) while we stabilized the main server. This resulted in an unexpected deviation from our original roadmap."

Dunno if you need to go into what a shitshow it was beyond that. THEN touch on TC being pushed back, like NAMELY, pushing back our plans for territory control/siege. Don't wallow in it though. How we got here was uglier than any new player could imagine, and they need not hear it from this summary! Focus on what you've done now. This has to be for NEW players. You're over 1500 atm. Gotta get more in.

Sincerely,

Your writer bro. And yea, prol no one will listen to me, but trust me this once!!!!
Yeah i didn't do this one

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Yeah i didn't do this one

yeah, either way, help pass on da message haha. No mention of the fact that MO sold 100k copies?? It's not too late. I was right there bitching when it was happening, but looking back, it was a near impossible situation. I don't agree w/ everything like how it was handled, but it can be painted in a more positive light, and it shouldn't be the only 'writing' in the whole thing.

Obviously, getting near the end it's got good info and writing, too, but to start with that... it's whatever, but I just think it's a golden opportunity.