Thunderlash vs Fulmination

Ajido

Nov 26, 2020
The wiki, which might be from MO1 and not MO2, says the following about Fulmination:

A medium ranged single target spell. It is sub-par to Thunderlash in almost every way shape and form. After being cast on an enemy it takes about 2 seconds to actually detonate. The only true advantage of this spell is that you can buy both the reagents from the vendor, unlike the other hard hitting damage spells.

The numbers in MO2 though seem to favor Fulmination, so is the delayed damage really that bad where Thunderlash is the preferred spell for mages?

Fulmination

Damage: 30-40
Mana: 30
Range: 2200
Cast Time: 2.6s

Thunderlash

Damage: 25-33
Mana: 30
Range: 2000
Cast Time: 2.7s

Can you cast Fulmination on a target that it's already been cast on while waiting for the explosion to go off? Like cast twice and there will be two delayed explosions?

Last edited:

Rhias

May 28, 2020
Can you cast Fulmination on a target that it's already been cast on while waiting for the explosion to go off? Like cast twice and there will be two delayed explosions?
No. And I think it's more than 2 seconds. Maybe 5? Or even more?

The major disadvantage of fulminate isn't even mentioned. A mage (or any other character with 20 ecu spells) can cast a purify and remove the buff, resulting in no damage at all.

Thunderslash can only be countered by a magic reflect, which takes longer to cast than a purify, and also costs a lot more mana.

Ajido

Nov 26, 2020
No. And I think it's more than 2 seconds. Maybe 5? Or even more?

The major disadvantage of fulminate isn't even mentioned. A mage (or any other character with 20 ecu spells) can cast a purify and remove the buff, resulting in no damage at all.

Thunderslash can only be countered by a magic reflect, which takes longer to cast than a purify, and also costs a lot more mana.

Yeah the site I was looking at was definitely MO1, I was watching a video and timed Fulmination's delay and it seems to be 8 seconds. So Thunderlash is still the best PvP spell overall for damage or is anything more efficient/better?

Can you cast reflect after Fulmination is cast on you to reflect the damage after the delay? Or it needs to be applied before the Fulmination cast to reflect it?

Rhias

May 28, 2020
Can you cast reflect after Fulmination is cast on you to reflect the damage after the delay? Or it needs to be applied before the Fulmination cast to reflect it?
Before.

I think flamestrike got even more damage, but it got really low range.

Reactions: Najwalaylah

WolfAchilles

Jan 4, 2021
TL is a powerful, reliable nuke. I actually think outburst is a better spell because of its range and mana cost. TL is a quarter of a fighters hp bar. Fulm is a much bigger dice roll. It is still a higher damage spell overall than thunderlash, but it has a bigger range of damage, can be purified, and costs more mana. Fulm can hit like a TL on the low end or a flame strike on the high end. It has less range than TL and more than fulm.

Ajido

Nov 26, 2020
If a target has both Corrupt and Fulmination on them, does one Purify remove both or does Purify need to be cast twice?