Spell book Charging - Mage cost balance.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
Simply no way to punish a naked mage who runs out with a couple of silver worth of regs to fight you over and over again.
The reserve system has not really ever solved the issue of nakeds spawning at priest either.

My solution to make dying have a attached cost for mages is to require them to spend gold or other items into their self/book inorder to have effective magic. As a example idea, If you have 0 charges it would be like having 0 mental offense. 1 charge is 50% and 2 is 100%. The cost could be exponential where 1g for the first charge, end charge is 2g, 3rd is 3g. Could go up to 20 charges as the cap for 20g.

The charges could be through a spell that uses gold and provide a great gold sink. Could also have a different version of the spell for other schools like using heads instead of gold for necro, and spirits for spiritism.

Not that you have to use heads for necro but any version of the charging spell will work for schools.

This would create a great gold sink and gameplay loop for mages allowing us a purpose to go out and farm.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
Bow = dead naked mage. Just do it already.
So unture. As coming from both a ex archer main and now a mage main you can easily just not get hit and if they do hit you it requires multiple arrows which you can easily just heal up from.

I spend most of my time with out armor or a shield fighting and doing just fine against archers. The best archers can only just stale mate against a mage that will just heal past all damage by moving behind cover. Jump casting and timing the shots work as well too. If you are dying to archers as a mage then look internally for the issue of your problems.

Bows are cheap but they you actually have to make them, and they arent nearly as effective in fights as a mage is with under 1g of regs. A naked archer is ignorable most of the time while a mage has endgame weapons for a couple of silver from the town.

AssassinOTL

Mar 23, 2021
a naked mage is so much less of a threat than a Melee with a Worn Shortie that has 0g investment and will kill any resing mage before he gets to his bank
Make Melee pay double if mage has to pay

Reactions: Belegar