Ping normalization? Getting hit through blocks/parrys constantly

Murder

Dec 13, 2022
So how do you turn on the ping normalization of this game? I have currently 200 ping to the server and with ExitLag I can lower it to around 170-180. But I'm constantly getting hit even though I have my parry up in time, is melee combat just not worth it with high ping?

Heres an example of what I'm talking about.

00:19
00:39
00:43
01:27

Like half of the counter hits go straight through my parry. Its pretty much a coin flip if I'll be able to parry or not. Why is this game still missing regional servers?

Opux

Apr 2, 2021
Ping normalization does not apply to parries. People with lower ping get more time to react. This has been known for a long time, and any time you bring up the issue with SV they will straight up ignore it.

Considering the melee game is based entirely around parries, it's a pretty big issue.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Ping normalization does not apply to parries. People with lower ping get more time to react. This has been known for a long time, and any time you bring up the issue with SV they will straight up ignore it.

Considering the melee game is based entirely around parries, it's a pretty big issue.

heh yeahhh, what's the deal with the 'hit then parry' animation? Where people get nicked, bleed, and then it comes up parry?

Also IMHO @ OP, I think you are also lagging pretty hard due to GPU settings. There are some hitches, but there is also real slowing lag that could cause the issues you are speaking about.

I've got 150-160 ping and I don't think I've ever missed a parry by lag. Many other reasons haha, or not parrying at all, but I don't recall people getting thru, well, I guess I dueled oykd but he's from latvia. It took me a sec to get the rhythm of his daggers to parry.

I would def lower my settings if you are gonna be doing real deel dueling esp in town, but that's just me.

peace. :)

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
The only thing you can do is move closer to the server.
Otherwise you are stuck with being handicapped when it comes to parrying. Anything over 100 ping starts to have issues with blocking and especially parrying.
You can learn to “deal with it”, but that pretty much means being forced to be super offensive and hope your enemy doesnt get a bunch of counters on you. Pretty stupid.

There are many other threads about this. Short answer is, if you dont live in Europe you are handicapped.

Murder

Dec 13, 2022
heh yeahhh, what's the deal with the 'hit then parry' animation? Where people get nicked, bleed, and then it comes up parry?

Also IMHO @ OP, I think you are also lagging pretty hard due to GPU settings. There are some hitches, but there is also real slowing lag that could cause the issues you are speaking about.

I've got 150-160 ping and I don't think I've ever missed a parry by lag. Many other reasons haha, or not parrying at all, but I don't recall people getting thru, well, I guess I dueled oykd but he's from latvia. It took me a sec to get the rhythm of his daggers to parry.

I would def lower my settings if you are gonna be doing real deel dueling esp in town, but that's just me.

peace. :)
So you never experienced the issue from the video? I doubt 20-30 ping would make that much difference. You think this issue is caused by low fps rather than ping? I have everything set on low but still get shitty FPS in town, only thing left to do would be to remove shadows but cant seem to find the option anywhere. I do get better FPS in the wild as long as there arent too many players at once on my screen, hard to get duels out there to test this though, or any sort of foot fight for that matter.

Also that hit then parry is another issue that is very annoying. I saw another thread that claims high ping player attacks have an added delay, if thats true then idk why this game is even marketed to players outside Europe? So EU players can use us as loot pinatas? Sadly I dont think steam will give me a refund now...

The only thing you can do is move closer to the server.
Otherwise you are stuck with being handicapped when it comes to parrying. Anything over 100 ping starts to have issues with blocking and especially parrying.
You can learn to “deal with it”, but that pretty much means being forced to be super offensive and hope your enemy doesnt get a bunch of counters on you. Pretty stupid.

There are many other threads about this. Short answer is, if you dont live in Europe you are handicapped.

I usually fight more offensively but its more of a gamble playstyle, at some point you will run out of stam and be forced to parry. Plus whoever I'm fighting usually cries Im flakestone spamming, it seems most duelers prefer taking turns at parrying and doing spinning counter feints.

Lol so where does it apply? Parrying is the most ping based mechanic in the game, would be pretty useless to have ping normalization anywhere but parrying. Starting to think this is just some marketing BS that the CEO Henrik invented out of his ass at this point. Theres a reason pretty much every major game has regional servers...

Gnidex

Feb 2, 2022
Mortal is just special. You see it's not about making a good MMO with inevitable regional servers and etc.

Oh no, it's about Henrik's private game playground where he gets to be the boss to the detriment of the actual game.

That is why the population is not reaching even half the numbers of an UO private server some dude hosts in his garage.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
So you never experienced the issue from the video? I doubt 20-30 ping would make that much difference. You think this issue is caused by low fps rather than ping? I have everything set on low but still get shitty FPS in town, only thing left to do would be to remove shadows but cant seem to find the option anywhere. I do get better FPS in the wild as long as there arent too many players at once on my screen, hard to get duels out there to test this though, or any sort of foot fight for that matter.

You gotta lower the res hard. I can tell your res is too high, looks too good plus in city. And yea the game runs like shit. We all know this. I'm not playing MO for gfx, but that's just me.

I honestly don't think I've ever been hit like that. I don't parry that much tho. I've gotten a few 'far away' hits, but that's arguably not even the same type of lag. I can tell by watching that your shit is lagging tho (or it seems,) like I said before I played myself the whole of MO1... 200 ping from shit server + lag from gfx settings being too high. You and dude had a nice lil fight going on there ( esp like dude who decided to butcher his carc right in the middle) but I'm pretty sure it's due to fps lag that it is performing poorly. Not saying you'll never get hit like that, but some of the warps and shifts indicate to me that your fps is unsteady.

I also think 150 ping is enough to parry and play relatively well. The thing is that people who are v lo ping are just seeing the game completely differently. Relative to what you see on the screen, if that's what is actually happening, if you react to that, you should be OK IMO. But like I said I did get hit with some weird time parries by a friend w/ a dagger, but he and I were on opposite ends of the world (he was on the E laggy side,) and I wasn't PLANNING to parry at all. It was just when he started sticking my ass for 40 weak spots that I was like wew. I adjusted within the fight tho.

Not saying when you add in feints and stuff, the way they appear and all, that it doesn't make it a lot harder to parry and such with higher ping, but just catching a glance parry nah I'm not an extensive in-town dueler but I've had AI go thru parries but not really people.

Last edited: