Performance/Stuttering/FPS drop issues FIXED

Papamoose

Jan 30, 2023
Hello all,

I just wanted to share the fix that I found for the severe stuttering and FPS drops I was having in MO2 on my desktop. The game runs great on my laptop with a 20 series RTX card, but on my Desktop with a RTX 3070 the game was performing so bad sometimes that it was unplayable. I noticed that every time I started the game my steam chat would change to "Papamoose playing Mortal Online 2" with VR. I uninstalled Steam VR and now I get a steady 120 fps in game at all times. I'm assuming I was rendering the game twice, once on my monitor and another in Steam VR. I know it's stupid that I didn't realize this sooner but I wanted to share my experience in case others might be having the same issue.

Papamoose

Jan 30, 2023
Uninstalling Steam VR alone wasn't what fixed the issue, I had to go into the Steam>steamapps>common>Mortal Online 2>Engine>Binaries>3rd Party folder and change the name of "OpenXR" to something else. That way when I start MO2 via steam, it doesn't try to run another instance in VR.

Doom and Gloom

Mar 12, 2022
Uninstalling Steam VR alone wasn't what fixed the issue, I had to go into the Steam>steamapps>common>Mortal Online 2>Engine>Binaries>3rd Party folder and change the name of "OpenXR" to something else. That way when I start MO2 via steam, it doesn't try to run another instance in VR.
That's super weird, as it's not a VR game why would steamVR open on its own for it, or did you just forget it open?

Tested opening a non-VR game with SteamVR On, first time just let me open it and it read on friends that i'm playing it in VR, although the VR view was just showing some steam settings looking page, think the headset was asleep at that moment too, although it was connected all the time. Next I had headset on and then got prompted with a warning that the game will render on the headset using the SteamVR theater, and that definitely will take computing power if you had that going on in the background.

Now the questions are, is the game turning SteamVR on by itself, even after you have made sure you killed the steamVR process from task manager (sometimes this is required, the damn thing doesn't wanna stay dead .d), and also did you get any prompts about it when launching, and did you have a VR headset connected during the gameplay?

I'm a VR dev, so if this is just MO2 random issue it's just probably SV having their future VR dreams already in the binaries somehow, although can't say this has ever happened to me, but this might also be a steamVR issue, what version are you using of it btw? In any case, uninstalling steamVR cannot be the only solution for you to be able to play MO2 without the VR mode, something is off somewhere. Sounds like your second step might be the more likely fix, did you try reinstalling the steamVR after removing the OpenXR runtime setting? I think it's safe to remove it altogether as the game isn't using OpenXR for anything afaik, renaming it will just make it try to use a runtime which can't be found, or potentially lead to other issues. Not at home now but I will check if I got a folder about OpenXR in my MO2, would be surprised

Doom and Gloom

Mar 12, 2022
Yes there seems to be an OpenXR folder... and also Oculus with OpenVR plugin in it.. Truly strange, why would they contain these.

Checked for fun some other larger non-VR games and haven't seen those in their third party folder in the same location (which would have been weird ofc). I bet removing them could only increase the performance lol, must be some future proofing thing or for their VR tests