Performance mode and MIDI support for the coming music instruments.

What do you think about adding such a mechanic?

• Yes, would use it myself

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Yes, would appreciate it

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Meh.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Oh god, no!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Snasen

May 28, 2020
Having technology in this game similar to the "performance mode" you have in Final Fantasy XIV would be such a great addition to the game when instruments gets implemented. It would open up for alot of fun content from the players themselves and I think it fits the environment in MO2 perfectly.

Imagine relaxing at the inn, going to an event or festival and have people playing live music through their character.

In FFXIV you would have to use extra software to map your MIDI keyboard to the buttons ingame. A support for MIDI controller would make this much easier and would not mess with the already advanced keybinding people have ingame.

Example on the controls (wish i could find better example...) :

Players having actual concerts ingame:

A few thoughts on the topic:

- Have the sound from the music instrument be synched with the players VOIP, this way a bard could perform with both voice and instrument simultaneously, either by playing live or using already recorded/programmed midi accompaniment.

- In FFXIV the sound from your performing is delayed in your client (probably reacting to inputs serverside). There are workarounds for this, but it would be so much easier to perform and better immersion if there was an instant response from your client (clientside).

- An option to mute a player would also probably be needed with this... We are all familiar with our lovely playerbase :D

- Extra: In FFXIV you can also synch players connection where you can follow a metronome in your own client that takes the ping of the different players in consideration. This way multiple bards from around the world can perform together at least to some extent.

- ExtraExtra: There is also a "helper" in FFXIV that gives you cues like in Guitar hero when to push what button. I could see this potentially being a thing that players could compose "sheet music" ingame and publish it in the library for other players to buy and use to perform whatever song or melody that was written. This requires a system for players to either record their inputs which then is put on "sheet music" or some way to write it down in a simple matter. Then the players that aquire the sheet music will then get the visual cues in their client how to perform song that was made by the composer.
Basically record their inputs in a way which plays out visually for another player.

PS: If someone from SV reads this and would by any chance like some help to get in contact with people in music production, I do know several competent people in the industry within Scandinavia both on the programming and sound engineering. Just say the word =)

Last edited:

Nisse

Jun 17, 2021
Having heard RoleplayingAMinstrels wonderful guitar music during the AC Festival, I would support anything that helps people make music in Nave. It adds a lot to the atmosphere and feeling of community. Between this and Dwarflords painting suggestion, people would be able to express themselves in unique ways and create something special to share.