Help on mage builds

Kiki

Dec 2, 2021
Hey,
i have a really fun time just theorycrafting different mage builds. However, I find it hard gathering the neccesary data for making my decisions.

I am developing a build for Oghmir - huergar which currently looks like this:

60 years, 195% bulging, min height.

I get 128 int with 225 hp, 85 psyche and 25 points into dex

(this is on mortaldata.com, I currently cannot test these exact stats ingame)

Now the advantage of oghmir is the tankiness: more hp, passive and active dmg reduction, crack pipe and also the armor weight! I can equip some heavy amor pieces without suffering mana reg and from then can chose if i want more armor in trade off with mana. It seems easy to change armor mid-fight (especially on horse), and this allows me to go to 100% mana regen if needed.
(also im only 154cm, I can maybe leave out the pants, since people will hit mostly my upper body?)

I am trying to compare this build to a dex mage build, but its hard to really get a sense of how worth it the extra int and armor are (vs the movespeed)

So my questions are:

- Ive seen alot of different int curves (it got changed a few times). Does anyone know how the INT curve currently looks like? I want to know how much better 128 int is compared to 110-115
- Is heavy armor actually worth it? I feel like leather actually comes close to the armor values of heavy... Is heavy maybe only really better against archers? Is there some data detailing how different armor types/values work for different damage types?

and lastly please leave your feedback/opinion on this build. What problems could I face with this? My plan is full mage with quite the points in taming skills aswell (this can of course change a bit with the release of necromancy or other mage-related skills).

Thank you very much!
Kiki

Bulge

Dec 9, 2021
I know that mounted fat mage just got nerfed, with the addition of the Mounted Magery skill in todays patch. though I don't know to what extent. Also, mounted acceleration and turn rate are affected by dexterity now.

Kiki

Dec 2, 2021
oh where did you find that its a nerf though? I feel like its a huge buff:

• Added a new primary skill ‘Mounted Magery’ which increases effectiveness with magic while on a mount. Similar to Mounted Combat and Mounted Archery, you will be less effective than on foot without this skill.
doesnt that mean that I will be as effective as on foot with this skill?

I will have to test how important dex is now for riding though. Will be glad for first impressions from someone who tested it!

EDIT: seems like without mounted magery, you just do 50% of the damage. the casting time is unchanged. So this is in fact a nerf

Last edited:

Komodor

Jul 11, 2020
Why not obese if u want to be a mounted fat mage? U get far more int/psy benefits

Kiki

Dec 2, 2021
Why not obese if u want to be a mounted fat mage? U get far more int/psy benefits

yes the build is not focused on mounted fatmage. its more of a general fat mage with the option of riding.

this build will change to have more dex in future. Not sure how I will achieve it yet, will probably have only around 210 hp and 115 int after that (with around 70 dex)

Komodor

Jul 11, 2020
If u want fat mage that is semi-viable on foot, Alvarin is way to go in my opinion. You can achieve around 420 speed at 195%.

Armors are not balanced yet. You can make cheap leather armor with comparable stats to heavy. And Human is better for armored mages/paladins, since he can wear more armor without mana penalty.

About int curves, afaik last changes were boosting both ends of the curve, so I'd try to get as many int possible

Last edited:

Kiki

Dec 2, 2021
If u want fat mage that is semi-viable on foot, Alvarin is way to go in my opinion. You can achieve around 420 speed at 195%.

Armors are not balanced yet. You can make cheap leather armor with comparable stats to heavy. And Human is better for armored mages/paladins, since he can wear more armor without mana penalty.

About int curves, afaik last changes were boosting both ends of the curve, so I'd try to get as many int possible

Ok i see, thank you! The info about armor is very helpful. An assumption for my build to be (somewhat) good is, that heavy armor does give you quite the advantage vs light or medium armor. I will have to see how starvault balances these things.

Two more things:

The normal mana-regen-weight should be 2 right? Somehow on my oghmir this changed to 4 when heaving an increased armor weight. Is this a bug or does mana-regen-weight increase with additional armor weight?

Regarding the int curve: I feel like getting alot of int got a lot harder now that you also need dex. On sheevra 195% I only get about 115 int. Oghmir 195% with 72 dex gets 120 int but only 55 Psyche.

Thanks again for the information. Lets see what changes until release.

Edit: Playing around with human, I can see a high int build working. However this will leave me with around 46 DEX and 134 INT. Not sure if that DEX is enough for mounted combat

Last edited: