Changes that MUST be made considering long-term development of MO2 (Part 2/5) – Armors

Marchioro

Mar 25, 2024
I must point out that this post is just one part of an even larger post. In this way, even if for now it is possible to provide some insights into the proposed changes, given the holistic nature of MO2, I ask you to read the other posts before formulating your conclusions. Preferably, discuss about it in the last post (Final Considerations)

All mortal players at this point in the game probably already know that there are no real reasons for anyone to wear light armor, with the exception of RP. Basically, the objective is to be able to carry the greatest weight possible, which almost 100% of the time, will also be the armor with the best defenses. Such rule applies to everyone, including mages, who are only limited by mana regeneration. This is of course assuming he doesn't want to play in plate armor with na one mana bar build. Consequently, although the game currently has a total of 13 armor designs, in practice we only find around 4 - 5 types, sometimes mixed, on the battlefield.

Starvault has been claiming that "someday" they will introduce mechanics that enable the use of other types of armor, such as the assassination skills, magical schools based on body weight and armor weight, environments with adverse living conditions (high thermal range), and the enchantment system (which takes into account the material and type of armor). However, I believe there are more elegant ways to encourage the use of light armor based on what we already have in game.

Assuming you read post 1, it should be noted that one of the proposed changes would allow any fighter with a decent build to be able to outspeed a mage, as it doesn't make sense for a mage with his biotype to come be faster than a trained athlete/figher. However, we must not deny that despite the peak of plate armor in its time of use, they reached around 26 - 28kg, although they do not restrict movement as much as some games make it seem, they did in fact exert a certain influence on the wearer's mobility.

Another important fact to be highlighted is that only Alvarins are capable of making builds based on weakspot, i.e., na “assassin” archetype. Currently, there is no feasibility for Humans, Thursars and Oghmir to attempt a functional weakspot build.

Since I have no way of testing the impact of the proposed values, keep in mind that they are certainly subject to possible corrections. The important thing here is to reflect about the idea.

Therefore, I would like to propose the next changes:
  • Movement speed reduction according to armor weight. Each kilogram above 8kg will reduce your base movement speed by 0.2%;
  • Introduce a limited field of vision according to the type of helmet used in the case of heavy armor;
  • Minor buffs such as magic power, weak spot chance, buff/debuff duration and magic deffense according to the armor piece, as well as a set bônus;
The value of 8kg is not as arbitrary as it seems. Such weight, in addition to being plausible as something that does not restrict your movements when evenly distributed across the body, also makes it possible to wear Ranger armor and Rustic Garments that are relatively good within their capabilities without being penalized.

The addition of the field of vision mechanic aims to provide a trade off with defenses, thus making the choice of other heavy helmets, or even medium and light ones, more interesting.

When it comes to armor bonuses, of course I'm not going to propose a bonus for each type of armor, but I'm going to at least use one as an example. Let's imagine a world where each piece of ranger armor grants a 4% weakspot chance bonus. With it in mind, it will be possible to enable a viable "assassin" archetype for builds like Human and Thursar Khurite for example, since they will be able to make use of weakspot and will be faster than mages and heavy armored fighters.

These changes alone already enable the existence of other builds based on weakspot that do not depend exclusively on the Alvarin clade. Don't get it wrong, I don't hope to destroy alvarin, it's more than clear that he will be always the king of movement speed and weakspot, but this is only valid when compared to other clades in similar situations. What I mean, is that there will be a threshold for an Alvarin in heavy armor (with his 2.5% movement speed passive) to be faster than another fighter (Human, Thursar or oghmir) in light armor

What I hope with these changes is to provide the viability for more builds to rely on the use of light armor, since it doesn't make sense for everyone to use heavy armor without any significant trade off. We might even see some “berserker” builds such as Thursar Kallards with light armor. Can you imagine the terror of being forced to fight against it if you are in heavy armor, or are a mage? However, keep in mind that he is giving up a lot of defenses in exchange for this speed.

Some people may imagine that the game's meta will change and everyone will only use light armor, but there will always be scenarios like TC and large scale battles where heavy armor is mandatory for frontline, even in some minor clashes we need frontline fighters. At the end of the day, it's going to be a choice of playstyle.

When it comes to mages, I believe there will still be builds based on heavy armor and that's okay. Even such bonuses alone are not sufficient reason to wear light armor. I believe that some mechanics can already be introduced in the rework of magic schools, which require 100% mana regeneration. I prefer to follow this line based on mana regeneration instead of Body weight/Armor Weight for 2 reasons:
  • Humans have the Cleric Gift ( Adds 4kg to armor weight before being penalized);
  • There is a spell called Benumb Mind which will serve as a counterplay to these mechanics;
However, this is the subject of another series of posts that I intend to do in a not too distant future.​

Last edited:
Reactions: VanaheiimTTV