Blaine, Heugar, Sheevra and Veela.

Hodo

Mar 7, 2022
So The Heugar live underground the Blaine live above ground... The Heugar are addicted to ichor, but the Blaine get the same buffs if they choose to use it? Hmm.. sorry a little odd but ok.

Sheevra live below ground mostly yet have dark skin, and Veela live above ground and are fair skinned... again a bit confusing but ok.

Reactions: ArcaneConsular

Raknor

Sep 14, 2021
Hyllspeia
So The Heugar live underground the Blaine live above ground... The Heugar are addicted to ichor, but the Blaine get the same buffs if they choose to use it? Hmm.. sorry a little odd but ok.

99.99% of the Huerghar you see do not live underground and haven't lived undergound for generations ever since at least the conflux (pre-MO1 timeline). The Blain seem to be just a separate evolutionary line of the Oghmir that had to adapt to Nordveld when they became stuck there (as others theorize, due to the Sundering separating the Huerghar that were in Nordveld from the ones in Myrland). We don't know much about this but I suspect that although the Blainn do have some immunity to Ichor within them that they would not go as far as the underground Huerghar who are rumored to bathe in Ichor.

I think this question however arises from a "lore questionable" clade tree. You are basically asking: "why can the Blain use Ichor pipes, lore suggests that maybe it should have been restricted to Huerghar" and maybe you are right and maybe you are wrong - I can see it both ways in this case.

What I can't see is why Blain don't have a clade that gives them cold resistance or why a Kallard can have both cold and heat resistance, simultaneously to make things worse. It has been suggested many times that although it is fine that a clade shares many gifts at a high level that each specific "sub-clade" should have its own specific gifts but unfortunately as far as I am aware no one at SV ever commented if this is something they don't really care about or if it is something they intend to do eventually but just not a priority right now.

Sheevra live below ground mostly yet have dark skin, and Veela live above ground and are fair skinned... again a bit confusing but ok.

It has been a while since character creation time but I do seem to remember you can create a pale Sheevra and a dark skinned Veela

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
99.99% of the Huerghar you see do not live underground and haven't lived undergound for generations ever since at least the conflux (pre-MO1 timeline). The Blain seem to be just a separate evolutionary line of the Oghmir that had to adapt to Nordveld when they became stuck there (as others theorize, due to the Sundering separating the Huerghar that were in Nordveld from the ones in Myrland). We don't know much about this but I suspect that although the Blainn do have some immunity to Ichor within them that they would not go as far as the underground Huerghar who are rumored to bathe in Ichor.

I think this question however arises from a "lore questionable" clade tree. You are basically asking: "why can the Blain use Ichor pipes, lore suggests that maybe it should have been restricted to Huerghar" and maybe you are right and maybe you are wrong - I can see it both ways in this case.

What I can't see is why Blain don't have a clade that gives them cold resistance or why a Kallard can have both cold and heat resistance, simultaneously to make things worse. It has been suggested many times that although it is fine that a clade shares many gifts at a high level that each specific "sub-clade" should have its own specific gifts but unfortunately as far as I am aware no one at SV ever commented if this is something they don't really care about or if it is something they intend to do eventually but just not a priority right now.

It has been a while since character creation time but I do seem to remember you can create a pale Sheevra and a dark skinned Veela

Pale sheevra is basically just gray. But yeah it is funny now that you mention it that the underground race is dark skinned for some reason

Reactions: gavroche3

gavroche3

Apr 27, 2021
Pale sheevra is basically just gray. But yeah it is funny now that you mention it that the underground race is dark skinned for some reason

This is something I thought about too. Back in the day someone had questioned the Huergar's skin tone and other characteristics, and how it didn't make sense for an underground race. Mats' response at the time indicated that he had thought deeply about those choices and there were pretty accurate reasons for them (something to do with hydrargyria).

Obviously this still leaves the question of the dark-skinned Sheevra, but if the Huergar example is any indication, there must be an explanation for it other than "it's just fantasy." At least that's my belief. And it's up to us to speculate and try to come up with possible explanations, and then submit those to whatever evidence we can find in the world as presented to us.

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
This is something I thought about too. Back in the day someone had questioned the Huergar's skin tone and other characteristics, and how it didn't make sense for an underground race. Mats' response at the time indicated that he had thought deeply about those choices and there were pretty accurate reasons for them (something to do with hydrargyria).

Obviously this still leaves the question of the dark-skinned Sheevra, but if the Huergar example is any indication, there must be an explanation for it other than "it's just fantasy." At least that's my belief. And it's up to us to speculate and try to come up with possible explanations, and then submit those to whatever evidence we can find in the world as presented to us.

I think huegar makes sense since they're supposed to be made of rocks

gavroche3

Apr 27, 2021
I think huegar makes sense since they're supposed to be made of rocks

Are they, though? I haven't found any reference to this, but I'm not familiar with all the pieces of lore spread out throughout the various official MO sites/forums.

Given that they're probably descendants of Humans (see https://discord.com/channels/345493247931711488/817931904628162610/827284440317165619 ), and that they suffer from similar skin diseases/conditions as we have in the real world, I just thought that their cracked skin was just that, cracked human-like skin, as opposed to rocks.

Nisse

Jun 17, 2021
My interpretation has always been that the red skin and lack of hair is caused by the cultural factor of ichor use. If you were to take a Huegar infant and raise it in Blainn society it would end up looking very much like a Blainn and vice versa. There may be some genetic drift over time due to the tribes being separated but nothing as significant as the superficial appearance would indicate. This would explain Blainn being just as able to benefit from ichor as Huegar. Smoking ichor occasionally in battle wouldn’t cause the same effects as bathing and being exposed to it all the time. The effects could also potentially be passed on in the womb or milk, if the mother is using ichor. So perhaps it would take two generations for Oghs to convert to the appearance of their society.

Regarding the Alvarin, I think this is related to the tree/roots animist structure of Alvarin beliefs somehow being tied to their biology. They seem to be affected at a very deep level by this. The darkness in Sheevra skin doesn’t seem to be melanin as they can be grey. So it may have nothing to do with sunlight adaption at all hence why it’s not relevant to them being underground.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thumos