Beta review- Blocking arc question/ complaint.

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
Over the weekend I had many chances to hit blocking players in the middle of the back, often with a thrusting attack. Why does it still count as a parry? It makes no sense and is extremely frustrating.
On the opposite side, I sometimes only get a block even though my timing is fine, but the person is to the edge of my screen (sometimes not even to the edge, like they are hitting my side not even my back.)

Valoran

May 28, 2020
The reason why you are getting blocked damage instead of parries when it looks like someone is in front of you on your screen, is because he is all the way behind you in his screen.

The current blocking arc is quite large, I think it's at ~270 degrees at the moment. Yet even this is not enough to stop people from abusing the prediction system and getting behind your character when the whole time he is actually in front of you on your screen.

I've mentioned this many times in the discord, but the only reason you are ever able to get behind someone in a 1v1, is due to latency difference between you and your opponent.

If we all had 0 ping to the server, no one would ever be able to get behind someone in a 1v1, as you would be constantly looking at each other the entire time.

Attempting to run around someone's back in a duel is not a viable tactic, and the only reason people are trying to do it is because it was the meta in MO1.

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
The reason why you are getting blocked damage instead of parries when it looks like someone is in front of you on your screen, is because he is all the way behind you in his screen.

The current blocking arc is quite large, I think it's at ~270 degrees at the moment. Yet even this is not enough to stop people from abusing the prediction system and getting behind your character when the whole time he is actually in front of you on your screen.

I've mentioned this many times in the discord, but the only reason you are ever able to get behind someone in a 1v1, is due to latency difference between you and your opponent.

If we all had 0 ping to the server, no one would ever be able to get behind someone in a 1v1, as you would be constantly looking at each other the entire time.

Attempting to run around someone's back in a duel is not a viable tactic, and the only reason people are trying to do it is because it was the meta in MO1.
Wasn't only in duels.
There are precious few tactics against low pingers.
Time to zerg up, I guess.

Bernfred

Sep 12, 2020
there could also be a bug so you get blocked damage when on your screen you parry him at the right angle because it stands in contrast to the fact that he cant hit players in their backs although on his screen their blocks are in front of them.

running behind players back is nerfed by acceleration speed and the collision bubble around the players. i think too that the blocking arc should be lowered a bit together with a lower parry time window + small time penalty after parry renewal if you are still in parry stance before a smooth transition to the blocked damage. this would also make deceleration swings viable.

Last edited:

Valoran

May 28, 2020
this is how it should be but there could also be a bug so you get blocked damage when on your screen you parry him at the right angle because it stands in contrast to the fact that he cant hit players in their backs although on his screen their blocks are in front of them.

running behind players back is nerfed by acceleration speed and the collision bubble around the players. i think too that the blocking arc should be lowered a bit together with a lower parry time window + small time penalty after parry renewal if you are still in parry stance before a smooth transition to the blocked damage.
Lowering the blocking arc simply reintroduces the prediction abuse.

The point of my comment was to state that running around someone is only possible due to latency, and is in no way a fair tactic if it allows you to get free hits when there's nothing the opponent can do to stop you from getting behind them, unless they meta game the prediction system by turning further than they actually need to, which is terrible.

You should only ever have to react to what is actually on your screen, not thinking in the back of your mind how the games netcode is working and playing around that.

Reducing parry window also achieves nothing, as everyone simply resets their parries every 1-2 seconds anyway to maintain a constant parry state.

Bernfred

Sep 12, 2020
Lowering the blocking arc simply reintroduces the prediction abuse.

The point of my comment was to state that running around someone is only possible due to latency, and is in no way a fair tactic if it allows you to get free hits when there's nothing the opponent can do to stop you from getting behind them, unless they meta game the prediction system by turning further than they actually need to, which is terrible.

You should only ever have to react to what is actually on your screen, not thinking in the back of your mind how the games netcode is working and playing around that.

Reducing parry window also achieves nothing, as everyone simply resets their parries every 1-2 seconds anyway to maintain a constant parry state.
yes i corrected this is not how it should work but it is how its works now maybe there is a bug. i think running behind someones back is good if the other guy is stationary or cant turn around fast with his mouse. if you make it client side so you block what you see you can lower the arc also i said you need to give a time penalty for renewing you parry to make it work. this would be one of the best combat fixes. you can play with swing deceleration, charge holding, runing around and feinting in their back to force a longer block hold, so many mechanics missing if you know how to turtle...