An ideia about how to implement the new clade reroll and why removing the surname/family name was a HUGE mistake

Marchioro

Mar 25, 2024
With the upcoming reroll token we finally will be able to reroll our character without sacrificing all our time invested in its development. However it is is still unclear if it only will be one-time per character since henrik said "it will be an one time fee". Furtherome, according to https://www.mortalonline2.com/into-the-vault-143-new-roadmap-reveal/ we won't be able to rename our characters, which in my point of view it is not a good idea.

I can understand that Henrik wants a certain kind of commitment with our clades and changing our names (identities) would prevent people from suffering the consequences of their actions. Hence, I would like to highlight some situations that justify why the proposed mechanic is not ideal and how to fix it without violating such concepts.

Firstly, since Mortal is a project that will always be in development, there will always be times when new mechanics will be added to the game. Nowadays, when we create a character, we always keep in mind the playstyle planned within the game's existing mechanics. However, let's imagine a scenario where, for example, psych-based magic schools are launched. It would not be an exaggeration to say that the majority of characters ever created would not be able to make use of these mechanics since their clade limits the amount of psyche ideal for such use. This reasoning can be applied to all mechanics that SV decides to implement in MO2, so a clade reroll makes sense.

It is interesting to note that there is no right way to play MO2, as it encompasses a series of playstyles, including roleplaying. Some people like to create their character names based on archetypes, such as wizards, warriors, assassins... Or even in gender. Therefore, a clade change without a name change would not provide a pleasant experience for those who care about it.

To resolve this, without violating MO2's concepts, the solution itself is simple:
  • Clade reroll with a cooldown, somewhere around 1-2 years, as this seems to be the estimated time for the release of new disruptive mechanics in the game;
  • Bring back Surname/family name. This way, the name on the account common to both characters would be the Surname. By doing this, it would be possible to allow different individuals to use the same name on their characters, since it would no longer be their Id in MO2;
To implement such a solution, without harming the identity of current players, it would be necessary to initially make the Surname of the entire player base the same as the first name of the character in slot 1 of each account. When logging in for the first time after the change, the player can keep the same name or choose a new one, which can never be changed. Furthermore, the character's name and surname must be displayed when targeting another player, giving prominence to the Surname, as this will be their true identifier in the game. It must be remembered that with only 1 Id, banks and veredaris must be shared by both characters on the account, thus fulfilling yet another request from a large part of the player base. It is interest to note that with a single Surname, people will always recognize your actions, regardless of which character you are logged into, as long as both characters are on the same account.

Last edited:
Reactions: VanaheiimTTV

Sally

Dec 2, 2023
In a game where you can mess your build up from the character creator, the idea they didn't make a way to reroll your clade sooner is ridiculous. It also applies to just changing the appearance of the character.. Again, why did it take so long to implement something so obvious?

They should just break it into different tokens.

1. One to just change your entire appearance within your clade.
2. One to change your name.
3. One to change your clade. This would be more expensive as it would come with the benefit of also changing appearance.

4. A barber shop that just lets you change superficial appearance, not bone structure. So hairstyle, tattoos etc.. This would not cost real money, but ingame gold.

This is a similar system to what WoW has, and many many other MMOs for that matter, and it works fine there, aside from the extortionate blizzard pricing.

Reactions: Rahz

Midas

Feb 25, 2022
Hell no , first names are unique. i dont wanna see 25 bobs running around ruining pvp callouts. "everyone attack bob" - "wich one?"

personaly im not a fan of the clade reroll. i dont mind the clade level reroll but to change your whole charecter seems a bit much and large groups of people will abuse this mark my words. you will see a full minheight oghmir guild level everyone.

BArber shop tho should have been in the game from the launch , even if it just had the same hairstyles as character creation.

BTW does orange hair not exist in the eu?

Marchioro

Mar 25, 2024
I'm pretty sure you're not the only "Midas" in the world. I just said to make surname as unique ID, not first name... For calls, you just need to call for the unique ID. If people don't know how to perform a decent call, the only answer for that is git good.

Yes, sweatlords always will do whatever they can in order to be in meta no matter what. This is why I proposed a clade reroll with cd.