1 NA server, 1 EU server, same vision

BurnMySack

Jan 30, 2022
Hi Mortal community,

OCE player here who would like to chime in on the current server debates going on.

To put it short and sweet many NA players want their own server, the amazing team at Star Vault believe this would clash with their vision and have been arguing against an NA server for Myrland.

Personally I just can’t see any negatives to creating an NA server for Myrland. The NA / OCE player base would play there, and the EU player base would play on the EU server, it would be 2 Myrlands, but I believe it would still adhere to the same vision, some of the pros:
  • There is suffficient enough player numbers to populate both servers.
  • Back in beta, even when their was only 600 players online the world still felt very alive (though it would likely be much higher number than this per server),
  • It would cut a large portion of the player bases pings massively
  • I would imagine this would help a lot with the queue times and distribution of players (queue comment is speculative)
  • Your rep still matters by locking your character to the initial region you join unless you character reset (I am no game designer, but this is how I’d imagine a system like this would have to work to maintain the vision)
  • The game would pull in many of the NA players on the fence due to EU only server

That being said I question how long a new regional server would take to implement. This would be the only negative that comes to mind, as the current architecture was built around a single region.

So I ask, Star vault, if a change like this is possible without months of work, please consider it in the short term, as a huge fan of the game and your team, I personally believe this is the right step for the game.

Would love to get the communities input on the matter, maybe you can elaborate on the pros and cons of creating a Myland NA server, let’s do our best to be constructive, and kind to each other.

Final note, some of the OCE players amoung us might wonder why I did not suggest an OCE server, unfortunately we just don’t have the player numbers. Down the track is we get to New world play numbers then sure, spin up and OCE server, I would love that more then anyone, but right now we just don’t have enough players to sustain a server.

Reactions: Tzone

Alocrin

Jan 29, 2022
The land of Eh?
Once the current issues are solved I would actually like to see this looked into. Maybe the devs already have but perhaps its worth looking at again with current population

Reactions: BurnMySack
Jan 28, 2022
I think it's too early for 2 servers. If the biggest problems are solved - like the queues and low server capacity, and the server population could reach like 10k online players and not just people in the queue then you might have a reasonable population for 2 servers but not yet.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
I think it's too early for 2 servers. If the biggest problems are solved - like the queues and low server capacity, and the server population could reach like 10k online players and not just people in the queue then you might have a reasonable population for 2 servers but not yet.
They haven't even advertise outside of a couple of facebook post and already are almost 10k concurrent with over 100k copies sold.

Clearly need more servers.

ilyth

Jan 31, 2022
i wanna play this game so much, but from brazil we have 300ping on EU servers, no way at all.. if they ever annouce NA server someone tell me c:

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
I do not think the current situation gives us a true picture of how many will pay to play.

Most likely only a small amount that try the game will actually stick around and pay a sub.

Even if things would have went smoothly.

The traffic coming from steam will shut off nearly as quick as it turned on.

And no other traffic will ever compare to it in the future.

Hopefully enough of the people that are getting to play will be enough to keep things rolling a bit.

And the trickle that comes from steam and other promotions are enough to keep the game alive and growing.

Reactions: Raknor and Alocrin

Tzone

May 16, 2021
88k are trying to play per day. I was estimating 50k-33k trying to play the first week and buying the game. People are really thirsty for MMOs in this day and age because all the failures of big AAA studios.

Doesnt matter how bad a game is people are thirsty and there is nothing else being sold.

juneau54

Jan 31, 2022
The traffic coming from steam will shut off nearly as quick as it turned on.
I should think it would be considerably less if 90,000 out of the 100,000 people that purchased the game, according to Heinrick in the last Q&A, didn't have the experience of waking up at 7 am, logging into the queue, and never getting into the game by bedtime at 10 pm, for day after day after day. That has been my experience for 4 days in a row. That's a rather unscrupulous business plan. Shady... I work from home and turn on this computer at the same time as my work computer. Every day, same experience. I'm hoping very much it changes, but this is borderline fraudulent. If they received 100,000 purchases while expecting 10,000, that would signal investment in infrastructure that could support what is sold. Waiting until people quit out of frustration, and keeping the extra profit, is a dirty business dealing.

Last edited:

Finnley

Jul 8, 2020
88k are trying to play per day. I was estimating 50k-33k trying to play the first week and buying the game. People are really thirsty for MMOs in this day and age because all the failures of big AAA studios.

Doesnt matter how bad a game is people are thirsty and there is nothing else being sold.
Unbenannt.JPG
88k players ... you got a zero too much there buddy... its only between 5-10k trying to play at once

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
There is not suffficient enough player numbers to populate both servers

and yet there are too many people for the current one, hence the queue for days. It really seems to be a insurmountable conundrum. How will we ever find a solution to this cosmic mystery?

Finnley

Jul 8, 2020
and yet there are too many people for the current one, hence the queue for days. It really seems to be a insurmountable conundrum. How will we ever find a solution to this cosmic mystery?
Their servers do not work correctly and they are working their asses of to fix them.
Their community manager stated this in MO discord, this is why there is a queue even at these relatively low player numbers.
Sepperating a small player base and making a copy of a not properly working server sounds like a really bad idea in the long run.

Reactions: KermyWormy

Tzone

May 16, 2021
View attachment 3436
88k players ... you got a zero too much there buddy... its only between 5-10k trying to play at once
Do you not understand the difference between concurrent and active players? Concurrent is at the same time. Total is the amount that have played.
88k is a total player base, not every one logs in at the same time to play. 9k peak was a concurrent player population number. Meaning that 9k people had the game launched at the same time.

Most people do not play the game at the same time, steamcharts/db show you the concurrent not the total population.