Will thievery be in the game?

Zbuciorn

Jun 3, 2020
I think that thievery will need to be added to the game after reputation/city guards systems are working as intended.
If we have thievery now in beta when everyone can reroll often it would be huge troll festival.

Reactions: Najwalaylah

LordScum

Nov 19, 2021
I'm not fussed if its in now or not, I just want to know if it will be in the game at some point. I played MO some time ago and carved out a very small niche as a donkey seller/thief operating out of the main city, I'm just hoping that sort of thing will still be possible.

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
Not on release. Everything will be in the game eventually (TM) though. All the magic schools, all the continents, flying, riding your bro, dual-wielding crossbows, etc. So I'd take it with a grain of salt until it's actually in-game. The real reason I'm guessing is because they know that they need to add more content and fix more bugs before adding more ways to 'grief' - 'Buh iz not griefing iz content' -- alright, call it whatever you want, As hardcore as most players on this forum are the average steam player that starts playing, struggles to learn the game mechanics, gets killed several times in town, and then gets robbed is probably going to quit. And yes contrary to popular belief making casual players quit is bad for the game since most people aren't super hardcore and play MO all day. So long story short I'm glad they're delaying it until the player base stabilizes and the game is more polished

Reactions: Zbuciorn

LordScum

Nov 19, 2021
From memory pickpocketing some one in MO 1 was somewhat difficult what with the guards laying down the law and kicking the shit out of you if you didn't manage to run away fast enough hence why I supplemented it with donkey taming and selling.

So its confirmed that MO2 is aiming to include all the features of MO1? I'm just having a hard time finding that info, cheers.

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
37.76655478735988, -122.48572468757628
From memory pickpocketing some one in MO 1 was somewhat difficult what with the guards laying down the law and kicking the shit out of you if you didn't manage to run away fast enough hence why I supplemented it with donkey taming and selling.

So its confirmed that MO2 is aiming to include all the features of MO1? I'm just having a hard time finding that info, cheers.
Easiest for you to find out about what is planned sooner, or later — aside from the Road Map — would be the Stream Summaries in this thread by @Speznat :

Last edited:

Gulith

Apr 5, 2021
pickpocketing was easy just because you didn't need anything to do it : you were basically naked all the time, risking nothing.

Reactions: ArcaneConsular

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
pickpocketing was easy just because you didn't need anything to do it : you were basically naked all the time, risking nothing.

Brainlets will always respond with 'but they're risking their time!'. But as the defender you can't do anything with said time

Backyard Employee

Oct 30, 2021
Think the two above me definitely got picked on by thieves to the point of tears.

But in all seriousness they probably will add some soulless version of Thievery back (or just not at all) because it deters from a more casualized crowd.

Gulith

Apr 5, 2021
Think the two above me definitely got picked on by thieves to the point of tears.

But in all seriousness they probably will add some soulless version of Thievery back (or just not at all) because it deters from a more casualized crowd.
or their first character was actually a thief ... who knows?

Turbizzler

May 28, 2020
Fabernum
Brainlets will always respond with 'but they're risking their time!'. But as the defender you can't do anything with said time
Put gold into silver, and expensive items all into bag and thieves rarely achieve stealing off you. Thief chars are found out quickly by everyone, and all you have to do is push them every time you see them, since most thieves spend their time either hidden criminal - or waiting for crim flag to expire so they can spawn at priest. While the risk is quite low, the reward for most thieves is 1g or 2g coins off some noob who just turned their GY heads in or some semi expensive book. Unless you go the full Grayfox rout of deception and trickery to pull off regular large yield pickpockets and heists.

The big money was and always will be lockpicking out of the thievery skills, which is even less time investment and risk involved, but much larger profits.

Gulith

Apr 5, 2021
Put gold into silver, and expensive items all into bag and thieves rarely achieve stealing off you. Thief chars are found out quickly by everyone, and all you have to do is push them every time you see them, since most thieves spend their time either hidden criminal - or waiting for crim flag to expire so they can spawn at priest. While the risk is quite low, the reward for most thieves is 1g or 2g coins off some noob who just turned their GY heads in or some semi expensive book. Unless you go the full Grayfox rout of deception and trickery to pull off regular large yield pickpockets and heists.

The big money was and always will be lockpicking out of the thievery skills, which is even less time investment and risk involved, but much larger profits.
1g or 2g ... or 20 gold ... or that steel sword ... or that 50g book at the veredari ... or that house deed ...
and yes ofc bad thieves were bad.

Reactions: ArcaneConsular

Turbizzler

May 28, 2020
Fabernum
1g or 2g ... or 20 gold ... or that steel sword ... or that 50g book at the veredari ... or that house deed ...
and yes ofc bad thieves were bad.
Yeh you could get a somewhat decent item or two in a day from thieving, and little bits of gold over a day that add up. But the time investment for the profit was low compared lockpicking. Only thing pilfering was worth, was combat thievery stealing enemy potions and bandages. Unless you went full GrayFox

Could make more doing a simple chest rout in Tindrem in much less time. 100g - 200g in coins almost every run. And an extra 50g - 100g+ in items - Scrolls, House deeds, Siege engine deeds, Topaz, Amethyst, Lion shields etc. That was 20 - 30 minutes work for a good lockpicker, who could breeze through high pin count chests. This excludes Sewers/Dungeons in Tindrem and Fab, which you could add more to your tally.

Gulith

Apr 5, 2021
Could make more doing a simple chest rout in Tindrem in much less time. 100g - 200g in coins almost every run. And an extra 50g - 100g+ in items - Scrolls, House deeds, Siege engine deeds, Topaz, Amethyst, Lion shields etc. That was 20 - 30 minutes work for a good lockpicker, who could breeze through high pin count chests. This excludes Sewers/Dungeons in Tindrem and Fab, which you could add more to your tally.
that's when you are alone lockpicking in tindrem ... when it's got decent population, you get get ZERO stuff from chest routes ... i tried.
however, when population is full : pilfering profit skyrocket!
pilfering was just way more skillful, it was way harder.

Kavu

Jun 21, 2020
USA
Thievery was hands down the most unique feature of MO1. No other game ever let me stick my fingers in some unsuspecting schmucks pockets and pull out their wallet while whispering sweet nothings into their ear. It was a form of pvp that was based around creeping around and sizing up targets, or social engineering your way into people letting their guard down. It was a competition that relied on a different set of skills than normal combat. How well did you know the town? How good are you at jumping puzzles? How tightly can you turn corners or change your plan when other people enter the chase? It felt far more rewarding than wandering the wasteland for several hours hoping to find somebody in transit or standing outside their palisade so you could slap them around with a pole sword. Especially when those hours ended up wasted because you didn't find anybody.

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
I remember seeing a naked thief one time back in MO1 jumping across the rooftop and running off.

His victim who was decked out in full plate armour and armed to the teeth was left in frustration and defeat after trying to chase him down, but to no avail.

To paraphrase, he said something to the effect of "At least give me a chance! This is too much for me."

PVP may be one of the hardcore features of this game, but thievery was something else.

And yes, thievery will be in the game at a later stage post-launch on 25th January 2022.

Last edited:

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
37.76655478735988, -122.48572468757628
while whispering sweet nothings into their ear
Spare us the tale of your excesses, please.

Otherwise, you are quite correct.
PVP may be one of the hardcore features of this game, but thievery was something else.

And yes, thievery will be in the game at a later stage post-launch on 25th January 2022.
I wonder what it's going to be like, this time. Perhaps you can arrange to get yourself pick-pocketed and record all that happens as you try to stop the thief?

Kavu

Jun 21, 2020
USA
Spare us the tale of your excesses, please.

Oh, don't act like you don't like it. ;)

Perhaps you can arrange to get yourself pick-pocketed and record all that happens as you try to stop the thief?

I have had the thought that arranging a thief competition between some of the better thieves of MO history (Greyfox, Lashaniqua, etc.) would be a fun little event. Give a book or something to a designated mark, and they must compete to steal the book first with the mark being fully aware of the attempts to be made. See how creative people can get.

Unfortunately, I think most recordings of thievery from the victim's perspective would likely be 1 minute of getting looped around a stable and then the thief disappearing into the night, so it'd have to be pretty involved to be interesting.