Why fat mage?

Midas

Feb 25, 2022
Again.. brawling is just that. Have you ever punched someone with a helmet on? I have on the football field, it was a VERY bad idea.
yah but have you ever magicly punched someone with a helmet on. your posts are detractive from the topic. you want to skew this into realism now for the benfit of your argument/opinion to dilute my motive of balance in a fantasy game.

Midas

Feb 25, 2022
Again.. brawling is just that. Have you ever punched someone with a helmet on? I have on the football field, it was a VERY bad idea.
your analogy is garbo no offense. were talking about a fantasy game and balance IN reality its survivle of the fittest. your argument to realism is detractive and no where near where you should be thinking to provide a valuable solution. if your goal is to dead end the conversation and became a block in a developmental idea then you have not succeeded.

Hodo

Mar 7, 2022
your analogy is garbo no offense. were talking about a fantasy game and balance IN reality its survivle of the fittest. your argument to realism is detractive and no where near where you should be thinking to provide a valuable solution. if your goal is to dead end the conversation and became a block in a developmental idea then you have not succeeded.

Seeing as the game does borrow heavily from realism, we can gather that the developers do want some realism in the game.

Otherwise we would have people sprinting around firing longbows that can hit 8 people at once with a single arrow or have a magical sword fight for the mage who cast it.

Midas

Feb 25, 2022
the game doesnt borrow heavily from realism WTF are you playing at? there is some realism where its needed for sure. but to say heavily is an overstatement. this will be my last reponse in this post as it doesnt actually pertain to the topic at hand.

BlackSwan

Mar 21, 2022
As an option, cast spells while moving, but for a shield to make a requirement, you need a str like a weapon. As a result, the mage chooses to run fast and be vulnerable to bows, or slow but with a shield.
The mage also has a problem with mana regen and mana cost per spell. When will skills for protection and control appear, the magician will have enough mana for only one opponent. As a result, magicians will remain healers.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021

That's why you slap the fuck out of them. Does more dmg, too, LOL. Or push their face mask up. SITUATIONAL AWARENESS. Nah I'm not a football player, but that's what I would do! Grab that face mask like it's hair and give someone a by the neck slam, or twist it then push them down. But if it's JUST a helmet, def slapping. I bet you could hurt someone if you slapped their steel plate helmet, too, at least make their ears ring. Would hurt your hand, too, tho.

The way the game is, magi won't be able to do PvE until they get something similar to parry. It could be a dodge, it could be a magic weapon, and by dodge I mean if you time it right, you don't get hit. Not a physical dodge because we know hit range on monsters is dumm. Then they need spammy dmg. The problem is pvp it would make them OP. The theory is IF they get to you... but PvE always gets to you.

Other games fix this by dash kites/teleports (lol at that in MO,) AoE spells that lower hit rate, spells with heavy knock back, but they need at the very least a bnb spam attack. There really should be staves/rods. That would pretty much fix everything, assuming they had some touch level dmg spells, but it would also make them op in pvp, or they would need to be extremely recalibrated. And if yall want more MP, staves could, instead of having dmg, give MP! WOW. Or you could choose raw MP or boosted regen (more than the boosted MP would give you.)

Sucks that you have more chance w/ a short bow vs mobs than you do as a mage tho. It's def not something that can be fixed easily. The best way, I suppose, would be to make some mobs that were heavily resistant to phys/pierce and weak to magic that DIDN'T close gaps, like create new mage solo content? I guess that's what they were trying to do w/ spiritism?

They also need to get shields the fuck out of there (for magi.) I'm sorry haha. It works and yeah there is def skill involved, but it's just another memey thing.

Take any portrayal of a mage, they might even have a weapon other than a staff, but I can promise you they don't have a shield.

So many bandaid fixes.

Hodo

Mar 7, 2022
That's why you slap the fuck out of them. Does more dmg, too, LOL. Or push their face mask up. SITUATIONAL AWARENESS. Nah I'm not a football player, but that's what I would do! Grab that face mask like it's hair and give someone a by the neck slam, or twist it then push them down. But if it's JUST a helmet, def slapping. I bet you could hurt someone if you slapped their steel plate helmet, too, at least make their ears ring. Would hurt your hand, too, tho.

The way the game is, magi won't be able to do PvE until they get something similar to parry. It could be a dodge, it could be a magic weapon, and by dodge I mean if you time it right, you don't get hit. Not a physical dodge because we know hit range on monsters is dumm. Then they need spammy dmg. The problem is pvp it would make them OP. The theory is IF they get to you... but PvE always gets to you.

Other games fix this by dash kites/teleports (lol at that in MO,) AoE spells that lower hit rate, spells with heavy knock back, but they need at the very least a bnb spam attack. There really should be staves/rods. That would pretty much fix everything, assuming they had some touch level dmg spells, but it would also make them op in pvp, or they would need to be extremely recalibrated. And if yall want more MP, staves could, instead of having dmg, give MP! WOW. Or you could choose raw MP or boosted regen (more than the boosted MP would give you.)

Sucks that you have more chance w/ a short bow vs mobs than you do as a mage tho. It's def not something that can be fixed easily. The best way, I suppose, would be to make some mobs that were heavily resistant to phys/pierce and weak to magic that DIDN'T close gaps, like create new mage solo content? I guess that's what they were trying to do w/ spiritism?

They also need to get shields the fuck out of there (for magi.) I'm sorry haha. It works and yeah there is def skill involved, but it's just another memey thing.

Take any portrayal of a mage, they might even have a weapon other than a staff, but I can promise you they don't have a shield.

So many bandaid fixes.
Slapping a helmet does nothing.. both on the football field and in plate armor. My stainless steel 12g (2.6mm) thick helm that I fight in does not ring when hit. That is part of the padding in it and the way it is made.

And yes it is sad that a person in rags with a short bow and some vendor arrows has a better chance vs mobs.

And yeah shields should go. But mages need something till they find a better way.. which I doubt anytime soon.

Midas

Feb 25, 2022
lol yah they just need a spell that allows them to augment brawling. without making it another spell school. one for offense and one for defense.

doing this in the ecumenical school makes the most sense.

(reactive armour) - gives the ability to block *magicly* with brawling

(harm*touch spell*) - gives the ability to add intelligence/psych damage to the casters punch non negated by armor. some of the damage would still be physical through brawling and dex that is negated by armor to keep it from being too op.

then you would just need to adjust the reagents needed to cast the spell. it cant be cheap but it cant be too expensive.

the spell should have a timer on it similar to magic reflect so it doesnt need to be recast every swing or block as that wouldnt be fun at all.

Last edited:

Serverus

May 28, 2020
Moh’ki
Fat Mages should be able to do something defensive when dismounted on foot other than die in 2 hits.

1.) 10 sec invulnerability globe (which allows them to be protected in a bubble until reinforcements arrive. Traditional sorcerer spell)

Or…

2.) 10 sec invisibility spell (shadow magic that allows the mage the ability to disappear and lose their opponent)

Contorto

Feb 18, 2022
Seeing as the game does borrow heavily from realism, we can gather that the developers do want some realism in the game.

Otherwise we would have people sprinting around firing longbows that can hit 8 people at once with a single arrow or have a magical sword fight for the mage who cast it.
If they want realism they shouldn't have magic to begin with, or mystical beast like Minos and giant bug monsters. The game design is more about how they want to game to play and less about making it realistic. They want to encourage people to play in groups that be kinda hard if I could spin around like a beyblade and do AOE dmg to anything around me or fire arrows out of my bow like it a shotgun.

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
Fat Mages should be able to do something defensive when dismounted on foot other than die in 2 hits.

1.) 10 sec invulnerability globe (which allows them to be protected in a bubble until reinforcements arrive. Traditional sorcerer spell)

Or…

2.) 10 sec invisibility spell (shadow magic that allows the mage the ability to disappear and lose their opponent)
I disagree. And by the way they can do something defensive. They can pull out a weapon and parry. If you are good you can last a lot longer than 10 seconds. There is no need for additional mechanics to help them stay alive.

Fat mages dont need any buffs. They are exactly as they should be: a glass cannon. They can 3 shot almost anyone but they are easily killed if focused. Its a fair trade.

Multiple fat mages are one scary sight by the way.

Dex mages have the survivability at the cost of spell damage. If you want more survivability then go dex mage. Cant have it all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Contorto

Dalamarius

Dec 20, 2022
There are a few “flaws” in some of these responses:

Comparing a fantasy game to real life is laughable, however, that being said there is some merit in the point being made. Obviously the devs are working towards some level of realistic physical combat aspects considering the effort put into the physical damage system and body/armor parts having their own hit boxes etc… So to want a “realistic” solution I think is better described as a “logical” solution… logic within the fiction is totally possible. Logically speaking: punching someone even in bone tissue armor isn’t going to do much damage, so without fist weapons the only option would be magical enhancement of your fists which is more along the lines of a whole new magical school like summoning magical shields or weapons…

Sometimes logic has to be ignored for balance: kind of like a 176kg fat Mage riding a small desert horse at the same speed as a 55kg skinny Mage would ride… there is a reason why race horse jockeys are usually smaller lighter people IRL… but for balance they ignore that logic in game…

Also: everyone wants everything totally balanced, and personally I hate that mentality. Every build shouldn’t be equally effective against every other build. Every build SHOULD have strengths and weaknesses… some better at killing mages, some better at killing footies, some better at killing archers, some better at pvp and some better at pve, some better at solo and some better at groups… that “rock paper scissors” style along with limiting action points so you have to CHOOSE a build or choose your strengths and weaknesses is exactly what makes Mortal unique and fun.

Hodo

Mar 7, 2022
If they want realism they shouldn't have magic to begin with, or mystical beast like Minos and giant bug monsters. The game design is more about how they want to game to play and less about making it realistic. They want to encourage people to play in groups that be kinda hard if I could spin around like a beyblade and do AOE dmg to anything around me or fire arrows out of my bow like it a shotgun.

I can tell reading comprehension is not your strong suit.

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
Why do you have to be fat to have high intelligence, is it really impossible to change this system?
The devs havent heard about balance. Nor realism in fantasy worlds.
They think big bellies equals smart people even though they where not smart enough to not get fat :ROFLMAO:

Fat people are also the first to die out in the case of catastrophes like the Conflux or the Irruption. The fact that they are so prevalent in Myrland is beyond laughable.
2 out of 3 of the humanoids on Myrland got killed off or STARVED to death, but still a large amount of the survivors where aparantly fat humanoids who ate all the food so all around them would die off or get flamestruck alive while watching their killer feast upon their children...

Fat mages should in turn be hunted down and purified by fire for their sacrilege and transgressions towards all civilized humanoids of Nave!

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
:ROFLMAO:

Fat people are also the first to die out in the case of catastrophes like the Conflux or the Irruption. The fact that they are so prevalent in Myrland is beyond laughable.

I'm reporting this hate speech!!! But, yeah, the to the level of morbid obesity. Well, to be fair, it's like a meme. You are a god tier Wizard and you are basically immobile and fat.

They just need a floating platform or something, haha. In this game, they have horses.

I should say that I, to the depths of me, believe in the idea of a sheev bonymage. It would be so potent and so hard to hit. It could potentially get nuked, but that's about it. If you played it right, I think you could pull it off. The only downside would be that, like I said about moving casting, you could shuffle cast and end up taking hits but not just get totally swamped, and a bony mage would not be able to do that. Other than that, they would shine. It would def be worth to have one. A little nuker, w/ how hard stuff is to hit with arrows in this game. Would also be a ridic grief char.

Attachments

• black-wizard-borgan-lunar-2-eternal-blue-complete-12.7.jpg
    black-wizard-borgan-lunar-2-eternal-blue-complete-12.7.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 0

Calcal

Dec 11, 2021
I remember someone from the Staff saying that they were going to look into weight classes because the lower weight classes were much more worse than their higher weight counterparts and that they wanted to change it so they would be more viable… that was a year ago.
You can go skeletal now which has the same int bonus as bulging and high dex. You have really low hp though.