Where are servers located?

lddiamond

Mar 22, 2021
Thank you, I am very interested in this game but I'll do a wait and see approach.

The PVP interests me a lot, we need more full pvp mmo type games. But the lag I'll get from London Server would make it much too difficult I'd say.

Darthus

Dec 1, 2020
Thank you, I am very interested in this game but I'll do a wait and see approach.

The PVP interests me a lot, we need more full pvp mmo type games. But the lag I'll get from London Server would make it much too difficult I'd say.

Where are you located? If you look through the forums you'll see this is a topic that has been debated countless times. It is in their game design that the combat (Even PvP) is relatively ping independent and is tuned so that people with a 50 ping are on a relatively even playing field with those with 200 ping.

Read this:

This post should be stickied in here btw.

lddiamond

Mar 22, 2021
Where are you located? If you look through the forums you'll see this is a topic that has been debated countless times. It is in their game design that the combat (Even PvP) is relatively ping independent and is tuned so that people with a 50 ping are on a relatively even playing field with those with 200 ping.

Read this:

Wow thank you for that, definitly an interesting read.

And it should be stickied. I think many, like me, won't dive in to a pvp game if we know we are going to have horrible pings.

Kuroi

May 28, 2020
Naples, Italy
where are you from? :) there was a streamer yesterday playing from new york and he had no issues, he even fought a bunch of german guys

WilliamXIVII

May 3, 2021

Read this:

I would really honestly have to disagree that Combat would ever be Independent of location. I played Life is Feudal, and there too, they made the absurd decision to have one server reside in EU. But on Life is Feudal, they actually did have an NA Server at first. The move to kill the NA Server, and force all to play from that 1 EU server, absolutely 100% murdered that game. It just hemorrhaged players immediately and the game died entirely very soon after. It is actually dead now, you cant even login to play Life is Feudal anymore. Ironically, this same exact subject was brought up on their Forums as well countless times. But the Devs didn't listen, and look what happened. I made posts on the forum myself calling that the game would die many months in advance if they didn't add the NA Server back. And it certainly did. Combat was impossible, even with their "Lag Compensation Feature"(Sounds familiar right?). In short; There just has to be 2 servers, especially in any PvP directed game. It just will not work, people will leave, NA Players will be far & few, and those that remain will end up leaving as well. NA is a massive market, but this one thing certainly is a primary problem. Its pretty imperative that there needs to be an NA Server. At least if they really care about hitting the NA Market and keeping players from there, which would certainly mean longevity for any mmo. Any PvP oriented game simply needs to have decent ping in order for combat to be taken halfway seriously. And ESPECIALLY if we're expected to pay a Subscription, that makes it even that much more imperative. Mortal Online 2 is also marketed as a "Hardcore PvP Game". PvP simply can't be played in any hardcore manner with bad ping, certainly not from any real competitive, serious, enjoyable standpoint. And this game certainly is catered to the hardcore, serious niche of players as well. It seems rather counter-intuitive. It is also the one thing keeping me from buying this game, and Im sure Im not the only one. Hopefully they add an NA Server so I, and so many like me, can buy MO2 and enjoy it. Because it looks great, but I cant do bad ping no matter how good a game is, and certainly not for a monthly sub-fee.

I hope they seriously reconsider this. NA deserves a good mmo, have for a long time.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
I entirely disagree with the idea of multiple servers as in separate instances of the same world, but what I would really like to see is different continents hosted on different servers around the world. Based on population I would say Myrland should be NA, Continent 2 should be EU, and Continent 3 should be Oceanic.

If the game DOES stay on a single server it should be based on what is going to result in the lowest overall pings for the greatest numbers of players. My prediction is that would be east coast NA, not EU.

People who say ping doesn't matter are huffing something though. I may not be the best melee but my combat style is get in your face and spam attacks. I can tell the difference between fighting NA and EU players. My combat style allows me to beat many NA players on my melee builds and as much as people claim anyone can flawless parry without effort most NA players take quite a bit of damage if I come at them and go berserk. Even the ones who can beat me every time. Most EU players can flawless me. Night and day difference between fighting NA and EU guys.

How do you explain that if ping doesn't matter?

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
I would really honestly have to disagree that Combat would ever be Independent of location. I played Life is Feudal, and there too, they made the absurd decision to have one server reside in EU. But on Life is Feudal, they actually did have an NA Server at first. The move to kill the NA Server, and force all to play from that 1 EU server, absolutely 100% murdered that game. It just hemorrhaged players immediately and the game died entirely very soon after. It is actually dead now, you cant even login to play Life is Feudal anymore. Ironically, this same exact subject was brought up on their Forums as well countless times. But the Devs didn't listen, and look what happened. I made posts on the forum myself calling that the game would die many months in advance if they didn't add the NA Server back. And it certainly did. Combat was impossible, even with their "Lag Compensation Feature"(Sounds familiar right?). In short; There just has to be 2 servers, especially in any PvP directed game. It just will not work, people will leave, NA Players will be far & few, and those that remain will end up leaving as well. NA is a massive market, but this one thing certainly is a primary problem. Its pretty imperative that there needs to be an NA Server. At least if they really care about hitting the NA Market and keeping players from there, which would certainly mean longevity for any mmo. Any PvP oriented game simply needs to have decent ping in order for combat to be taken halfway seriously. And ESPECIALLY if we're expected to pay a Subscription, that makes it even that much more imperative. Mortal Online 2 is also marketed as a "Hardcore PvP Game". PvP simply can't be played in any hardcore manner with bad ping, certainly not from any real competitive, serious, enjoyable standpoint. And this game certainly is catered to the hardcore, serious niche of players as well. It seems rather counter-intuitive. It is also the one thing keeping me from buying this game, and Im sure Im not the only one. Hopefully they add an NA Server so I, and so many like me, can buy MO2 and enjoy it. Because it looks great, but I cant do bad ping no matter how good a game is, and certainly not for a monthly sub-fee.

I hope they seriously reconsider this. NA deserves a good mmo, have for a long time.
They will never add regional servers. Henrik thinks that because his game is a mmo, the network solution is somehow not affected by ping. 1620020854155.png
1620020980801.png
1620021107791.png
1620021150461.png

Darthus

Dec 1, 2020
They will never add regional servers. Henrik thinks that because his game is a mmo, the network solution is somehow not affected by ping. View attachment 1776
View attachment 1777
View attachment 1778
View attachment 1779
That was a conversation from over a year ago, before there was really a game (and the fact that you like saved and screenshotted an argument between you and him is... interesting). That was (and I think is) his vision, but he has said multiple times since then that he would definitely be open to creating servers in other regions for other continents. The purpose of a single server game is to not split the player base, so there is only one "version" of the world.

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
That was a conversation from over a year ago, before there was really a game (and the fact that you like saved and screenshotted an argument between you and him is... interesting). That was (and I think is) his vision, but he has said multiple times since then that he would definitely be open to creating servers in other regions for other continents. The purpose of a single server game is to not split the player base, so there is only one "version" of the world.
If he wanted a single server game he should have gone with tab target, its just not possible with realtime combat. I'm not really saying anything about his vision tho, but giving a bs excuse that the game is an mmo and thus not affected by ping is really insulting to anyone with half a brain.

Darthus

Dec 1, 2020
If he wanted a single server game he should have gone with tab target, its just not possible with realtime combat. I'm not really saying anything about his vision tho, but giving a bs excuse that the game is an mmo and thus not affected by ping is really insulting to anyone with half a brain.

Hear ya, but I don't know if his argument is as simple as "it's an MMO so ping doesn't matter". Someone was saying "Mordhau is heavily affected by ping" and thus would need regional servers, and I read his response as "Yes, that's why we're not doing Mordhau's combat. We are not Mordhau, we are an MMO, thus have to create a combat system that works with variable ping".

The fact of the matter is that if you don't want to argue with his vision, then probably worth realizing he would rather make the combat even more slow and sluggish to accommodate a single server than go to regional servers. The combat system is aspirational. It will not be as 100% twitch player skill based as Mordhau, ever, but obviously they looked at a variety of combat systems for an action focused first person fantasy sword combat game and settled on what they have.

Tab target doesn't even make sense, that's like saying "Why didn't Planetside just go with tab targeted lock on shooting?"

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
This regional servers issue has been brought up countless times ever since MO1 launch. It’s painfully obvious to anyone that doesn’t live in Europe how shitty and frustrating combat desync is. But nothing will ever change here.

It’s pretty simple. Henrik only wants one server, and he wants it in Europe close to where he lives. That’s all he cares about. He doesn’t care about the majority of players, or subscription money, popularity of the game, or anything else.

it’s why MO has never become popular and probably never will. No serious gamer will pay a sub fee for a full loot game that has desync and lag issues. It’s just laughable.

Reactions: Rorry

Kebek

Jan 11, 2021
UK and that's great.
If people don't like it, maybe the game isn't for them.

LivingshadeNL

Mar 23, 2021
Game is just to niche for multiple servers, its to big of a risk for henrik to try and divide the server. Dont be angry at henrik. I would do the same , risk is just to high

Darthus

Dec 1, 2020
He doesn’t care about the majority of players, or subscription money, popularity of the game, or anything else.

it’s why MO has never become popular

Just noting these two comments here and that they're almost surely factually false. Saying Henrik wants a regional server close to him rather than having the game be successful is kinda ridiculous. Dude has been working on this game for 15 years, sold his car to keep it going and lost a lung. I doubt he prioritizes a good ping for himself so he can teabag on you more than the success of the game.

And if you think lack of regional servers is the primary reason why MO1 wasn't successful, I don't know what to say...

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
To Nightshade and Darthus. The game is too niche BECAUSE of the single server. anyone outside of Europe can’t have a decent combat experience. How hard is that to understand? If the game plays well, more people stay and get their friends to join. If the game plays like a bag of garbage people leave. Take a good look at theMO1 graph and tell me which has been happening for the last 10 years?

and the 3 EU players left keep shouting that the community is too small to be fractured. Yet you have no fix for making the community grow....just adding more broke stuff. Didn’t work. People came and saw how bad the core fighting mechanics were, and left. I myself can’t recommend the game to any of my friends because I know that when they try fighting they will laugh at how ridiculous the desync can be. Even the thought of having to explain to them the desync is embarrassing especially after telling them it’s a premium sub game.

And I’m not hating on Henrik. I’m just saying that he just keep shooting him self in the foot, that’s all. Everything they have tried hasn’t worked. And still, he is unwilling to try what ALL other games have done to fix this issues: regional servers. It’s mind boggling.

Last edited:

Wesley Snipes

May 28, 2020
And if you think lack of regional servers is the primary reason why MO1 wasn't successful, I don't know what to say...

It wasn' the sole reason for MO1 dying, but it was definitely a contributing factor . That with the janky prediction code and rampant prediction abuse. If the majority of MO1 players were EU, why didn't they show up to keep the game alive? I'd be willing to bet real life money that there are more NA players open to the possibility of a full loot open world pvp game than there are european players interested in it. A lot of the decisions and results for the current state of the game that veterans hate are because of the decisions henrik has made when it comes to the server.

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
Hear ya, but I don't know if his argument is as simple as "it's an MMO so ping doesn't matter". Someone was saying "Mordhau is heavily affected by ping" and thus would need regional servers, and I read his response as "Yes, that's why we're not doing Mordhau's combat. We are not Mordhau, we are an MMO, thus have to create a combat system that works with variable ping".

The fact of the matter is that if you don't want to argue with his vision, then probably worth realizing he would rather make the combat even more slow and sluggish to accommodate a single server than go to regional servers. The combat system is aspirational. It will not be as 100% twitch player skill based as Mordhau, ever, but obviously they looked at a variety of combat systems for an action focused first person fantasy sword combat game and settled on what they have.

Tab target doesn't even make sense, that's like saying "Why didn't Planetside just go with tab targeted lock on shooting?"
It is that simple actually, he claims nothing would change with regional servers as its a mmo network.

1620160828800.png

1620160864125.png

Planetside has regional servers. Have you tried playing it with 200+ ping? Doesnt work too well.

Even with all their ping normalization and slowing down ppl are still getting hit from far away, theres ghost swings, hits through blocks, etc. The technology just isnt there for an action based 1 world server game, thus if thats his core vision he should've gone with tab target.

LivingshadeNL

Mar 23, 2021
To Nightshade and Darthus. The game is too niche BECAUSE of the single server. anyone outside of Europe can’t have a decent combat experience. How hard is that to understand? If the game plays well, more people stay and get their friends to join. If the game plays like a bag of garbage people leave. Take a good look at theMO1 graph and tell me which has been happening for the last 10 years?

and the 3 EU players left keep shouting that the community is too small to be fractured. Yet you have no fix for making the community grow....just adding more broke stuff. Didn’t work. People came and saw how bad the core fighting mechanics were, and left. I myself can’t recommend the game to any of my friends because I know that when they try fighting they will laugh at how ridiculous the desync can be. Even the thought of having to explain to them the desync is embarrassing especially after telling them it’s a premium sub game.

And I’m not hating on Henrik. I’m just saying that he just keep shooting him self in the foot, that’s all. Everything they have tried hasn’t worked. And still, he is unwilling to try what ALL other games have done to fix this issues: regional servers. It’s mind boggling.
Not true, full loot without baby hand holding is extremely niche, denying this and saying its because of a server is not entirely fair. Im pretty sure making an regional server would just divide an allready low player base. Face it mortal is never gonna become mainstream, nor are many people ready for a dangerous full loot no handholding mmo (with alot of bugs) P.S why you comparing an FPS shooter with a melee mmo....