Whats Your History With Computers?

Avenoma

Jan 14, 2021
I'll go first. Age 5. 1985 . Apple Macintosh . (I Forget why they named it apple, so bodies daughter about somethin.
Use to play a game called mission impossible @5. I loved the sound of the avatar falling into the pit. So Id run him into the pit over and over and over.
He'd respawn right next it :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Edit: Ouch... Some bodies daughter about something.

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
My first PC was in 1988, beige desktop box, CRT monitor, trackball mouse and mechanical keyboard. No LED lighting whatsoever, except a few small round lights on the desktop for showing power, drive activity, and the like.

It had the option of either 2 or 4 colours (Monochrome or CGA) for video display, internal speaker that beeps to emulate what the music or sound would be as best as it could. Two 5.25 inch low-density floppy disk drives to boot up into DOS prompt, then swap out another disk to run whatever program I wanted. No hard drive. I think it had 4MB of RAM, or even less. CPU was probably sub-100Mhz.

I remember playing a lot of Sierra adventure games on that, and thought it was a marvel of modern technology. Good times.

Avenoma

Jan 14, 2021
Please anyone help me. I use to play a game called "Great Balls Of Fire" It had to be on the Apple Macintosh. Ive looked and looked. I cant even find a mention of it. I remember it clearly. Ive been looking for it for 20 years if anyone knows wtf im talking about.

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
Please anyone help me. I use to play a game called "Great Balls Of Fire" It had to be on the Apple Macintosh. Ive looked and looked. I cant even find a mention of it. I remember it clearly. Ive been looking for it for 20 years if anyone knows wtf im talking about.
This is what you're looking for?

Avenoma

Jan 14, 2021
Naw, lower rez. Stationary screen, just separate levels, no scrolling. Mixes of fire ballz shoot from all latitudes, left and right. Mostly grey (representing metal) with grating in some places. The fire balls where many many shapes & shades. I bet it was billed as educational software and thats why its extinct. FUCK...
I might have played the game at a friends house or something. Im questioning if it even existed now. It could have been a friends computer for all I know and his father made the program. Interesting. Theres just no mention of it and its so vivid.

Last edited:

bemalmbe

Mar 28, 2021
Earliest Computer:

Custom built 486 turbo PC running MS-DOS 4.01

Next Computer:

Intel Pentium 90Mhz PC running Windows 95

Next:

Intel Pentium III 1.1Ghz PC, with 3dfx Voodoo 3, running Windows 98

Next:

Intel Pentium 4E 3.0 Ghz PC, with GeForce 6800, running Windows XP SP2

Next:

Dell Optiplex gx620 running Windows XP SP2 (First college PC)

Next:

Intel Core 2 Duo 3.00 Ghz, 8GB RAM, GeForce 8800 GTX, running Windows XP SP2 (First PC I bought and built myself)

Last edited:

Treibholz

Nov 30, 2020
My first console was the good old NES with games like Snake Rattle & Roll (very underrated!), Mario 1-3, Mega Man 3, Duck Tales, Little Nemo, Zelda 1+2, Double Dragon 2, The Adventures of Bayou Billy (which sucked), Adventures of LOLO...
Then - I think it was 1995 or 96 - I got my first personal computer: An Intel 486 DX-2 with around 60MHZ and 4MB RAM (which I soon updated to 8MB). Harddisk was 600MB (!). It also had a 3.5 floppy disc and a CD-ROM drive. And NO connetion to the internet!

I then started tinkering around with different operating systems and switched from Win95 to 3.11, then to MS DOS (only), I even tried OS/2 Warp for some time and Linux (which was pretty hard to install back then, at least for me). I finally bought a copy of the new Windows98, which got my favorite one beside of OS/2!

My first games: Some kind of MS-DOS strip poker (?), Many discs with Shareware, Shovelware and Demos, the Phantom of the opera adventure game (Shareware), Junglebook, Pitfall the Mayan Adventure, Sim City 2000, Settler 2, the Commander Keen series, Jill of the Jungle, Doom, Heretic (which both ran rather slow on my machine) and very soon - oh surprise - I fell in love with all the Lucasarts (tm) adventure games <3

What a great, exciting time back then! :sneaky:
Miss my screensavers and my red eyes after a long playing session on the CTR : /

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
The first computer I had access to was in elementary school that would give out math problems.

Not sure what the program was or why I was chosen to be part of it.

But at scheduled times I had to go by myself and do basic math problems on it.

There was no monitor on the computer and the output device was just a printer.

It was basically like a text command line type of thing.

I remember going in and before it started giving me math problems i would tell it who I was (log in). It would remember me and say hello.

It also gave encouraging remarks as you progressed through problems.

And said goodbye when you was leaving. It was a one on one connection I never forgot.

I basically have been hooked on computers ever since.

Though I never got my hands on one personally until the Vic 20's became available. From then on though,

I dont think there has been a time where I have not had a computer of some type.

As for games,

I remember many but a couple that really stick out are Ultima II and questron.

Both where open world adventure games that sucked up way to much of my time. LOL...

Avenoma

Jan 14, 2021
Duck Tales
Way better than mario.

I remember many but a couple that really stick out are Ultima II and questron.
I was all console up to the N64, then a second gen Dell. the Performa 410 I was on was an awesome little pc back then, I used the drawing program more than anything else.

Commodore 64 with the datasette (casette tapes, not floppy disk).
I never really ever saw one of those.

Last edited: