Two handed swords

Piet

May 28, 2020
I am sure everyone has noticed they are the meat and potato weapon. Almost no one uses anything different. I believe 2h swords are close to on par but just slightly to strong. They are easy to hit without getting a handle hit in comparison to other weapons, they are faster than other weapon and do about the same or more damage than other weapons, while taking very little stam to swing (thx Evelyn). I think they are close though perhaps if the damage was nerfed it would help like removing blunt damage or something. What do you all think?

Last edited:

Bernfred

Sep 12, 2020
just lower the slashing damage a bit especially for high tier mats. blunt damage is also weight dependent.

Piet

May 28, 2020
Maybe it's also a matter of the low stam drain on 2H sword. I don't see that point brought up enough.
Very very true I didn't even think of that. Ill edit post and add it in if I can.

Piet

May 28, 2020
lowering the damage is better than making weapons unfun to play.
I don't think she meant that should be changed but it is another big boon of sword. I always run out of stam before sword user is even half.

Bernfred

Sep 12, 2020
I don't think she meant that should be changed but it is another big boon of sword. I always run out of stam before sword user is even half.
then you play wrong. you cant run and swing with an axe like most people do with a sword but this would getting out of hand now.

Piet

May 28, 2020
then you play wrong. you cant run and swing with an axe like most people do with a sword but this would getting out of hand now.
All I am saying is it's another benefit and reason to use a sword.

Kelzyr

Sep 22, 2020
Have any of you tested the reach of the 2h swords compared to pole weapons....seems a little off, but I could be wrong.

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
It is more that other weapons have problems, than that swords are so great. If they manage to revamp poleswords into a good place, sword usage may go down. If swing speeds for long handled weapons stay so slow though, I think swords will be here to stay, even if they try to nerf them in some way.

Reactions: Rhias

Kelzyr

Sep 22, 2020
It is more that other weapons have problems, than that swords are so great. If they manage to revamp poleswords into a good place, sword usage may go down. If swing speeds for long handled weapons stay so slow though, I think swords will be here to stay, even if they try to nerf them in some way.

At least for dueling...I think there will still be a diversity of weapon use for open world pvp

Reactions: Zbuciorn

KermyWormy

May 29, 2020
California
Swords feel good, they feel responsive running in and feinting and swinging again, stam drain is good. Bad play you stam out, play well you won't etc. They got the feel right imo.

The other weapon types don't feel as good I agree and should be worked on. If they get the tracers and animations right for the others then they can balance around speed and dmg to get them where they ought to be, but don't mess with what's already working well to do it please.

Floky

Mar 2, 2021
merica
swords are good at 1v1 or small fights but in big group fights, I feel big boi weapons are better. so I feel weapon choice is down to personal preference if ppl like swords and it is all that is used that is fine.
3 MORE DAYS TILL MOUNTS thank henrik

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
2h swords are fine. I'd agree that other weapons need to be buffed a lot more than they need to be nerfed. I don't think any weapons currently need a nerf other than 2h spear animations. We just need to bring weaker weapons up to the level of stronger ones.

Rhias

May 28, 2020
Most of the people duel right now, and there sword is clearly superior to other weapons. But with more groupfights other weapons might become more popular.

However, in my opinion heavy weapons are in a bad shape. They take ages to release the swing, and therefore you need to predict where the enemy will be in e.g. 3 seconds. This makes it so much harder to land a proper non-handle hit, especially when the enemy is running towards you.
In early alpha I enjoyed playing flanged maces. But with the patch where they introduced the new animation flow they turned in a way that I don't enjoy playing them anymore.

In my opinion heavy weapons should get a faster release speed, while keeping the longer charge duration.

Reactions: Rorry

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
At least for dueling...I think there will still be a diversity of weapon use for open world pvp
Problem is that most will only have 1 weapon skill, so will have to use that type for everything. Spears may be best for group fights, but suck for pve, axes are good for pve, but suck for dueling, swords are good for dueling, and average for group fights, and pve. I suspect a lot of people will choose swords as the most balanced weapon to handle all three parts of the game.

Kelzyr

Sep 22, 2020
Problem is that most will only have 1 weapon skill, so will have to use that type for everything. Spears may be best for group fights, but suck for pve, axes are good for pve, but suck for dueling, swords are good for dueling, and average for group fights, and pve. I suspect a lot of people will choose swords as the most balanced weapon to handle all three parts of the game.

If you only have one weapon skill as a warrior that is all your choice, you should very easily be able to get 2-3 weapon skills as a warrior....That being said, I don't see a problem with people deciding to use a sword because its a safe choice. Some people will choose to specialize some will choose to be jacks of all trades.

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
If you only have one weapon skill as a warrior that is all your choice, you should very easily be able to get 2-3 weapon skills as a warrior....That being said, I don't see a problem with people deciding to use a sword because its a safe choice. Some people will choose to specialize some will choose to be jacks of all trades.
With everyone having only one char per account? And with how necessary archery will be?

Kelzyr

Sep 22, 2020
With everyone having only one char per account? And with how necessary archery will be?

If you must have a bow then its harder to fit in more than 1, maybe 2 melee weapons (2 if you sacrifice in other skills)

There is no one forcing you to use a bow though, you can very easily fit 3 weapons if you don't use a bow.