Tutors

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
I see that they added some basic tutors to haven which is good to see.

But one suggestion I have is that the tutors should make the players more aware that books are required to get these skills normally.

Maybe the first time a player interacts with a tutor, the tutor should send them to a library to get a book from the librarian. Then have them read the book. Even if it is completed instantly it would demonstrate the process required.

From there maybe all of the tutors could give instant read books that the players need to read to get the required skills. Again this should reinforce the idea that the player needs to get books to learn skills.

BigMoneyBums

Mar 24, 2021
The Twin Cities
Quests to get tasks accomplished that require a skill you need a book for - simple suggestions on easy silver farming options and away they go. Much learned, not much said.

The tutors don't need to explain too much imo - the mystery is part of the allure. Rather like you suggest, lead the horse to water.

Reactions: Amadman

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
I would also like to add that maybe the library should be the starting spawn point with some guidance there.

I dont think they really have to go into great detail on specifics. The player should still be expected to experiment and figure things out.

The initial focus of the game is normally getting books and money to buy said books.

Along with doing activities that raise attributes and gather needed items.

These are the basic paths that sv should be trying to get them on.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigMoneyBums

BigMoneyBums

Mar 24, 2021
The Twin Cities
I respectfully disagree... I know SV does not like "hand-holding" but a little more help in the newbie area would be huge to new players.
no I agree with you, but keyword being a "little". Too much makes it like other games in the genre. Some tudor tasks that trick you into learning for yourself would be amazing. But popups and tooltips or quests that explain every little thing wouldn't be needed. Maybe a crash course for the basics, and a crash course for each of the various professions or crafting things etc

Reactions: Amadman

starling

Mar 26, 2021
I really like how ES: Morrowind does their quests and I think it could apply to how tutors work as well. No lit path or arrows pointing you where, but just a "head up the street to the north side of town and find the library, grab this book to learn this skill" would be sufficient.

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
I really like how ES: Morrowind does their quests and I think it could apply to how tutors work as well. No lit path or arrows pointing you where, but just a "head up the street to the north side of town and find the library, grab this book to learn this skill" would be sufficient.

Right, no need for arrows and things of that nature.