Torn on build/play style - any insight from Veterans?

Minnz

Dec 22, 2021
Hi all!

In MMOs I’ve always played more of a ranged play style as that’s what I love most. Mostly archer like character. However, MO2 isn’t like any other MMO that I’ve played. Archery feels truly like a build that would be tough to run solo and explore the world.

From the videos and gameplay I’ve seen archers tend to be mounted mostly in this game. I can say that I’m not a huge fan of MA, but it doesn’t seem like Foot Archer focused builds are very strong.

I’ve never played a melee character but I’m intrigued by it, though I’m not sure how far in the melee route I should build. Here’s what I anticipate my play style to be:

Mostly solo player but perhaps one day joining a guild. Given my experience with MA and archery, I’m thinking I’d take more of a Melee first , bow as a pull/supplement damage based on the situation. I’d look to be relatively self sufficient in farming mobs for gold and mats and such so I can use the marketplace.

I’ve seen the Human builds being very solid all around. Though the being very “ok” somewhat deters me. I don’t necessarily need to be the best in any particular thing but I wouldn’t mind having a slight advantage in melee. The Thursars I’m reading are very strong foot fighters but the slowness might bother me.

I guess what I’m trying to explore is just a general solid solo friendly build that can be quite versatile while understanding that I will sacrifice in specialization to be able to do multiple things. Also if it's any help.. although I'm thinking Swords for a melee weapon. Not sure if that'd play into any build preferences.

I sure hope I didn’t butcher this and appreciate any thoughts or recommendations! I’m happy to elaborate where I can.

Last edited:

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
If you want a self sufficient non mounted build I'd probably suggest a Thusar warrior. Life steal clade combined with heavy armor, weapon and lots of strength probably makes it the most viable solo PvE build aside from mounted stuff. Although mounted is really important and I honestly can't imagine a build without one, but if you're serious about non mounted solo content a Thusar warrior is your best shot. You really can't solo even a baby wolf as a foot archer or foot mage

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
There is nothing better than an MA for a solo player, both pve or pvp.
nothing gives you a higher chance to survive just about any pvp encounter (besides other MAs). you can attack anyone on foot, and ride away with ease if things go sideways. Your only problem will come from other MAs. It is the perfect build for hit and run, and also the one that gives you the most survivability in most situations. Nothing else comes even close.

pve as an MA is the easiest thing ever.

foot bowmen are not a thing. Most fighters just have a bow as their ranged weapon. If versatility is what you are after then yes humans are best. Decent at everything, but not amazing at anything. The extra skill points let you incorporate more things in your build.

Last edited:

Minnz

Dec 22, 2021
There is nothing better than an MA for a solo player, both pve or pvp.
nothing gives you a higher chance to survive just about any pvp encounter besides other MAs. you can attack anyone on foot, and ride away with ease if things go sideways. Your only problem will come from other MAs. It is the perfect build for hit and run, and also the most one that gives you the most survivability in most situations. Nothing else comes even close.

pve as an MA is the easiest thing ever.

foot bowmen are not a thing. Most fighters just have a bow as their ranged weapon.

Thank you for your reply! Wouldn’t say I’m strongly against mounted…I know I’ll need to have mounts to travel the world no doubt! What I’m hoping isn’t the case is that the “meta” so to speak right now is Mounted Archery/Mounted Combat mains. If I need to include some mounted combat that’s fine ;) I was just hoping I didn’t really need to put a LOT into it

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
Yes MAs will be extremely popular, and for a reason. This unfortunately will force others to also roll MAs to Stay competitive. However most people wont be wheelchair MAs, but more of MA hybrids, at least until MA will require 5 or 6 primaries like it did in MO1.

if you are determined to be a foot fighter, as a solo i would look into a fast vheela build mainly to run away as soon as you see enemies. Lets face it, most people will be rollin in groups, so fighting against gankers as a solo wont be an option.

also pick a home that is not friendly for MAs if you want to play solo. Anything with lots of rocks and trees and stuff you can hide behind.

Reactions: Minnz