This game needs INSTANCING

cerqo

Mar 17, 2021
The main server will NEVER be able to handle the ammount of players SV is aiming for, its technologically impossible. The only way the game can work and sustain a normal playerbase is if it gets instanced in one way or another. Like instancing towns or more.

Alt server gets disabled, main server is around 1500 players and instantly you can tell the combat is all kinds of laggy mess. Thats 1500.

Its time to stop thinking about instancing like its some massive dogshit feature, plenty of great games are instanced.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
yuppp, but it needs to be done right, not a copy. Like I said, I wish they would separate main (tc) from instance 1 (non tc, diff ruleset = more open pvp = non shared banks) they could at least get more players. 1500 players is a joke, and yea main has always been laggy. It's been less laggy lately. I usually take my mouse and sweep it up and down really fast. Atm, I'm not seeing any real hitches, haven't the last few times. It's 'mortal laggy,' but it's not BAD like it has been a couple times. It can get bad like you think the server is gonna drop bad pretty fast tho, that's prol when it gets closer to 2k. 2k!!

• Haha
Reactions: CrgHck

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
I think at the most, SV will only create a new server for each continent as and when they are released.

I have noticed far less lag and crash to main menu as of late. So the server-side fixes do appear to be having an effect.

Yesterday I logged on when the alt servers were disabled, yes I did encounter a queue size of 99 but once I got in I could play without any issues.

So, it might just be a matter of time before they make their vision of a one server per continent from dream to reality.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
I think at the most, SV will only create a new server for each continent as and when they are released.

I have noticed far less lag and crash to main menu as of late. So the server-side fixes do appear to be having an effect.

Yesterday I logged on when the alt servers were disabled, yes I did encounter a queue size of 99 but once I got in I could play without any issues.

So, it might just be a matter of time before they make their vision of a one server per continent from dream to reality.

the problem is I legit feel there are/were at least 5k players that wanted to play this game. I think the initial part was overflow, but I mean the game has it's audience, MMO market is TRASH, and covid is still kinda a thing. They can fit the number they have NOW on 1 server, but that's actually a bad sign. It also gives no room for growth.

Reactions: Xunila

Raknor

Sep 14, 2021
Hyllspeia

The problem is we're getting these queues with just 1.5k people online... if the game can't support 1.5k people online without queues the map is just way too large. Makes no sense.

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
There were more than 1500 players online last night when they put the alt server down. And this according to steamcharts, which doesn't record people with profiles set to private btw. Not sure what the statistics are on profiles set to friends only or complete private.

But the game does not like the number of players regardless, if the game CAN run but laggy on just the one server you should all count it as a blessing. As it means SV are getting continuous and uninterrupted data so they can improve server performance.
Expect improvements.

Bigbadwolff

Mar 29, 2021
Entropia Universe game does this very well its has one server for whole globe, the map on each planet divided in x amount of square like pieces of map and every pieces its a server, crossing servers has no loading screen, if u have ur video settings verly low u can see the line ingame when.

Its just a thought,

Good luck

MaybeAddicted

Feb 1, 2022
The main server will NEVER be able to handle the ammount of players SV is aiming for, its technologically impossible. The only way the game can work and sustain a normal playerbase is if it gets instanced in one way or another. Like instancing towns or more.

Alt server gets disabled, main server is around 1500 players and instantly you can tell the combat is all kinds of laggy mess. Thats 1500.

Its time to stop thinking about instancing like its some massive dogshit feature, plenty of great games are instanced.
nah, instancing would kill it. but the continents what comes in future is like instancing, because people will settle in different zones then.

Turbizzler

May 28, 2020
Fabernum
Entropia Universe game does this very well its has one server for whole globe, the map on each planet divided in x amount of square like pieces of map and every pieces its a server, crossing servers has no loading screen, if u have ur video settings verly low u can see the line ingame when.

Its just a thought,

Good luck
This is already being done. It's why there are server nodes, with map node line crossings. When you're out in the wild or out of town and have a little stutter(or sometimes large stutter) at the same area every time, that's because you're crossing the joining point between one node, to the other. It's also why you can't see people on the other side of these nodes and people just load in or warp past infront of you. Data transfer is happening.

The main issue is there's not a lot of reason for people to be out in the world for long periods, so people just sit in town all day and clog up the nodes in those areas. If people spread out more, and stop clustering the Fabernum, Tindrem, Meduli and Bakti node areas, more than 1500 people would be on the map. It's also why the heavily populated places(like Meduli) have server lag issues, but other node areas wont.

All SV can do is optimize more and slowly increase the population cap per node, and also give more incentive to be out in the world.

Weathermore

Apr 5, 2021

Multiple continents are 1 year away at the very least.

The que and lag on main server continues to be an issue that will plague the population.

Yes the alts should have been shut down because of dupe, but right now the game isn't sustainable with a single server.

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
I saw a post on Discord just now and thought I'd copy and paste it here which might address some of the queue issues we've been having.

The silver lining towards the end of the post mentions the upcoming patch which will apparently process the queues twice as quick and lessen the likelihood of having to wait in line. At least, that's what it sounded like to me.

Queues

Since the recent Alts being shut down (and at previous times) a question comes up why there is even a queue?

The way the queue and the nodes work has been explain by Henrik a few times on stream and by me in discord. I understand that you all can't always be available to listen so I think its time I put this somewhere that can be referenced.

The entire server of Myrland is made of these server clusters which are distributed in nodes. These nodes are spread out all of Myrland to separate and ease the load for the entire network.

When you are in queue the login service checks the ENTIRE server for stressed nodes and decides to let you in from there. If a single node is overly stressed (many players within the node), it slows down the line for letting you (the player) into the server. Where your character is located (while you are signed out) does not effect how quickly you or others can be let in.

For Example : If you are logged out in a random forest and a Tindrem node is stressed, it will still affect you getting into the game.

In times where the nodes are not stressed, the login service can only let so many players at once. A real world example is to have a door opened, and you can only let so many people, the rest have to wait their turn. This is why when a server restarts, there is a longer queue due to the hundreds of players trying to get into Myrland at once. If the server allowed many accounts enter at the same time, it causes the server to be severely delayed and the entire server will experience lag.

Improvements

Over the last few months the Dev team have been making incremental improvements to the node capacity potential. The progress was slow going at the beginning, and this is why Alt servers were introduced originally. The first few patches increased the actual capacity of the nodes. The next few patches made small improvements, but the focus was on a redistribution of various heavy traffic nodes. The last patch included some redistribution, but the main change was the speed the server processes the information. It almost doubled the speed. The patch coming soon (April 18th/19th ETA) will have some changes to help take advantage of these new speeds.

I wanted to have a more clear message on what is happening server side since launch to give players a bigger picture. The player clustering up in towns is not the fault of the players, the sandbox allows players to do just that if they feel like it. It is up to the Dev team to continuously work on this issue. They are committed to this goal.

Have a great day Mortals.

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
There were more than 1500 players online last night when they put the alt server down. And this according to steamcharts, which doesn't record people with profiles set to private btw. Not sure what the statistics are on profiles set to friends only or complete private.
So is "private profiles" the new nObOdY uSeS sTeAm LaUnChEr?
Expect improvements.
LMAO

Is this your first Starvault game?

• Haha
Reactions: Yeonan

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
So is "private profiles" the new nObOdY uSeS sTeAm LaUnChEr?

LMAO

Is this your first Starvault game?
People who choose to use the MO1 launcher, and those who set their Steam profile to limited or private, do so for very different reasons. The MO1 launcher was a way for longtime vets to avoid using Steam altogether, for whatever reason they feel is the right choice for them.

Steam, on the hand, is a digital distribution platform for videos games that also doubles as a community hub for over 10,600 games. Steam has 120 million users worldwide, and it is probably safe to assume that many prefer to set their profiles to limited or private:

As for MO2, I do think improvements have been made and are being made over time. I play the game quite regularly and have noticed improvements across the board. Obviously, they still have a long way to go, but the past few months has not been without progress.

• Haha
Reactions: ElPerro

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
if the game CAN run but laggy on just the one server you should all count it as a blessing.

I can't agree with this. I would rather play on an empty alt and pick flowers than play as laggy as it can get on main. Lag spikes in diff places, but the easy lag test, for me, is to just take your mouse and spin it around. It's it's chopping then it's too much and that's w/ no queue. I played about a week ago and I was mining around duli and it was doing the thing it did day 1 before the servers shit out, where it just takes about 1-2 sec for anything to register. That's not OK, and it's gonna (no it already HAS) made many people quit. The game is bad enough as it is, lag just makes it unbearable. I understand MO lag, but this is more than MO lag. This is chopping. MO SCREWED AND CHOPPED. And my frames are gud, plus I'm playing on 1080 low w/ a decent cpu (to minimize lag,) so I don't think it's me.

Lets say the towns were instanced. How would it kill the game?

I tried to explain this to for sure. If towns were instanced, people would either be queuing to get out of town or it would be crashing/spiking the game when large amounts of people left town. That's not a proper solution. If I am missing something, let me know.

The only downside of having 1 instance is that people can log between them into spots, come help etc. This could be fixed by making it so that you either A had to log out in a town on an instance or B. it logged you into the nearest town when you switched. Of course RIP all the neg rep people, but I also still heavily disagree with KoS neg rep. I don't think your PK status should affect your ability to enter cities.

That being said, ONE NON TC MORE OPEN PVP INSTANCE would HEAVILY DECREASE LAG. It would give people a place to play who wanted to play the more open world trolly MO (more people than you think IMO,) help w/ pop control, help w/ growth, separate empire builders from people who just wanna live in the world, etc. Yea, right NOW there aren't enough people, but I think they could be enticed to come back. If you felt like building on your keep or w/e, you could log into TC server, if you felt like roaming pvp for skillz, you could log into non TC server. Separate the banks. I'd put in work to get my bank working for the ability to play a more 'free,' less laggy version of MO. Seems like it would create a lot better streaming content, too, since people are so bent on that for advertising.

The other possibility is that nobody would play on the Tc server, haha, but then SV would see in no uncertain terms how toxic their pvp suppressing ruleset is.

TLDR: I support instancing because I want this game to have a bunch of people. However, there needs to be a flavor change. A copy, esp with no cooldown since its 1:1 now... is actually worse than having 4 imo.

Edit: Fine, I think the private profile thing has been disproven, at least from what I saw, but again correct me if I'm wrong. I got my profiles on private cuz people are straight up stalkers. haha. I won't even cross link youtube channels. I guess if people put in enough effort they could still get their stalk on, but I ain't gonna make it easy.

Last edited:

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
I can't agree with this. I would rather play on an empty alt and pick flowers than play as laggy as it can get on main. Lag spikes in diff places, but the easy lag test, for me, is to just take your mouse and spin it around. It's it's chopping then it's too much and that's w/ no queue. I played about a week ago and I was mining around duli and it was doing the thing it did day 1 before the servers shit out, where it just takes about 1-2 sec for anything to register. That's not OK, and it's gonna (no it already HAS) made many people quit. The game is bad enough as it is, lag just makes it unbearable. I understand MO lag, but this is more than MO lag. This is chopping. MO SCREWED AND CHOPPED. And my frames are gud, plus I'm playing on 1080 low w/ a decent cpu (to minimize lag,) so I don't think it's me.
You don't understand. The only way they can improve the server cap, is by reaching the server cap and getting relevant data. If people are preventing the cap from being reached because they are opening servers to allow people to stress the server less, and spend less or no time in queue. No data, no improvements = alt server forever. maybe not that extreme, but pretty much.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
You don't understand. The only way they can improve the server cap, is by reaching the server cap and getting relevant data. If people are preventing the cap from being reached because they are opening servers to allow people to stress the server less, and spend less or no time in queue. No data, no improvements = alt server forever. maybe not that extreme, but pretty much.

nah I got it, but I guess I mean... I don't see improvements happening to the point where they will be relevant (like actually full number of players who should be playing/wanting to play) when it's struggling so hard at around 2k. I saw what you were getting at, but my PoV is I don't think we're gonna be getting away with altless gameplay except for situations like now when NOBODY IS PLAYING. Saw that stam bug thread, too, if it's a lie to buff stam, it's luls, if it 's true it's even more luls. I still believe SV could fix the game and make it good, alt server or not, but it's going down the toilet fast.

O well, got my guild bump so I can rest in peace.

serge

Dec 22, 2021
Yup. Towns need to be instanced they hold majority of the players. That will also make them safe from pkers and pvers should complain less about griefers.

• Haha
D

Deleted member 44

I agree. There are plenty of ways in which things can be instanced without breaking the experience that is MO2.

MaybeAddicted

Feb 1, 2022
Lets say the towns were instanced. How would it kill the game?
because it should be one world. you want to pickpock and trade and fight everyone, not just the people in your town. instanced cities would be chaos, just imagine of you want to trade with a guild member or a friend and he tells he dont see you, how would you instance it ? per guild? no sir. thats a really bad idea in total. just get rid of the instance idea :D