The speed gap.

Do you like the current speed gap?

• Yes, its fine as is.

• No, it needs to be larger.

Results are only viewable after voting.

MolagAmur

Jul 15, 2020
How do you guys feel about the speed gap? Because disengaging from a fight is nearly impossible right now from my personal experience and videos I've seen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Melvinius

Evelyn

Jan 6, 2021
I wouldn't say it's impossible to disengage but it's inordinately difficult to do so. The difference between the highest speed builds and the rest of the clades, especially the Khurite mix builds, is really punishing. You sacrifice an incredible amount of HP to have a meaningful speed difference that still takes a lot of your stam bar to either pull away from sticky range or to catch up to someone running away.

Either way, I agree that the speed on your <150 HP builds is a hair too little especially now with mounted archery on the scene.

Turbizzler

May 28, 2020
Fabernum
Speed gap is a little too close at the moment. I've been playing around with a Veela Veela and even when jumping off cliffs and using water to put distance between me and people chasing me, it always felt like they were right on my arse. Didn't matter if they were human or big thursars, they were right behind me.

It's noticeably more difficult to put distance between you and others as a lighter dex based build, compared to MO1. Only real advantage it feels like for light veela dex builds, is vast continuous mountainous terrain or urban roof hopping, due to clade bonus's of Alvarin. With bows being super effective now, and quite strong, this mixed with a closer speed gap really puts a strain of the effectiveness of light build too, you just get pegged for 40s - 60s.

MO1 speed in most cases was king, but in MO2 it's nothing great from my experience, I think finding a sweet spot somewhere between the two would be fine.

Last edited:

Avonis

Dec 20, 2020
Con is king for stam, a max dex lean veela is around 4% faster then a 90dex heavy foot fighter where as that heavy foot fighter will have 10-12% more stamina. Honestly i'm pushing any of my guild members thinking of veela veela into a human build, for way better dmg bonus, stamina, health, at the cost of such a minor amount of speed it's meaningless.

Solairerection

May 28, 2020
I don't mind the speedgap per se but I'm more concerned with the slow speeds overall. It's much too easy to maintain stickyback, and at the same time, much too hard to actually break one.

Especially breaking the sticky (or dodging overall) should be something Starvault shouldn't overlook. As everyone, whether they want to PvP or not, is potentially able to be attacked at some point, and using dodging as a defensive tool is important.

Bordelli!

Jul 11, 2020
The balancing on the clades/races is FAR better than in the first. SV is obviously looking to normalize most aspects of the game, trying to make more things viable.
Positioning is more important in this than speed from my PoV. If you're getting stickied by a slow char, that's because you're allowing it to happen. Terrain, breaking corners, turn parry cut and run, getting peels are now even more important, esp because of the physics with swinging.
From my experience playing a slower char, most people just dont know wtf to do when you're hitting them, but when they do I cannot gain any ground to finish a kill.

Turbizzler

May 28, 2020
Fabernum
The balancing on the clades/races is FAR better than in the first. SV is obviously looking to normalize most aspects of the game, trying to make more things viable.
Positioning is more important in this than speed from my PoV. If you're getting stickied by a slow char, that's because you're allowing it to happen. Terrain, breaking corners, turn parry cut and run, getting peels are now even more important, esp because of the physics with swinging.
From my experience playing a slower char, most people just dont know wtf to do when you're hitting them, but when they do I cannot gain any ground to finish a kill.
Positioning always mattered, being able to kite was repositioning yourself to put you in an advantage and fight on your terms. It's what made small groups and 1vX in places other than rooftops and mountains viable.

For example, currently - The speed gap is so close, that max size Thursars can catch up and then keep up with 115 - 120 dex veelas, due to their higher stam pool. It basically cancels out the other almost completely in current balance. If you're a Hybrid, not only can people keep up with you, they can also deal 40 - 60 damage with fast drawing bows, and force you to try heal.

I got chased by 15 guys yesterday. They closed a 100m gap over time due to having more stamina. Didn't matter that I jumped off cliffs, swam across Kran lake. They had the stam to catch up, and fast shooting bows dealing 40 - 60 damage, forcing me to stop and heal, then I would get fizzled due to being spammed with bows, while being on my ass almost constantly. Lucky I was a Hybrid, I could parry and prolong it and waste their time for around 10 minutes. A mage would just die within the first 2 - 3 minutes.

In larger group fights and zerg vs zerg it doesn't matter too much. But Lighter Infantry don't really have a place currently, with current balance it just makes them a gimped low HP warrior in most cases other than zerg fights, or if you're fighting in a place like Fab or GK.

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
To sum up, the speed gap is too narrow, but it really doesn't matter much because archery is so OP and prevalent.

Raziel

Jan 30, 2021
Switzerland
The difference in speed between the fastest build and the slowest is barely noticeable. Everyone will end up rolling a thursar if they keep it this way. I bet that most people voting yes are fighters happy to kill mages that can’t escape.

Kalliades

Mar 18, 2021
I think the speeds need tweaking some for sure, But I do like the fact that there are many viable builds.

On the topic of bows, people are in bad gear right now, the power of the bow will fall exponentially once people start wearing steel etc.

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
I think the speeds need tweaking some for sure, But I do like the fact that there are many viable builds.

On the topic of bows, people are in bad gear right now, the power of the bow will fall exponentially once people start wearing steel etc.
Or even bone or scale armors. At best people are wearing light trashy leather armor right now.

Reactions: Zethes

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
Or even bone or scale armors. At best people are wearing light trashy leather armor right now.
The difference between armor is smaller now.
More to your point, mages won't be wearing bone or metal armor and so archery will continue to be a big factor.

Turbizzler

May 28, 2020
Fabernum
Bows need balancing, being able to spam a high strength long bow, while being able to tail the highest speed characters should not be doable. Bow needs to be viable, but currently, draw speeds and stam usage is a little too forgiving.

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
I tried telling Henrik and his fanboys that veelas were trash after he nerfed them (from 450 spd stout to 434), but they wouldnt listen. Apparently their clades make them super op or something. I used to roll one in early alpha but human paladins are better in every way, the only thing veelas got going for them is the fall damage clade. But its clearly not enough. Being unable to disengage from fights has made the game completely zerg based, unless your somewhere like GK or Kran.

I keep hearing that in MO1 speed was "king", but thats bullshit. A Thursar was very capable of stickying down even a lean veela if they were any good at stickying, and if the veela was good at juking it was hard. But it felt balanced. I think Henrik only played MO1 at Awakening when veelas had turbo and got that idea stuck in his head.

And no stam bows are just as retarded, if not even more than in MO1. But at least there you had a counter play with tower shields. Now archers can just stay on you while using almost zero stam to peg you for 40s. Very balanced. I guess trying small scale in anything other than ogh or cron is pointless atm

MolagAmur

Jul 15, 2020
I tried telling Henrik and his fanboys that veelas were trash after he nerfed them (from 450 spd stout to 434), but they wouldnt listen. Apparently their clades make them super op or something. I used to roll one in early alpha but human paladins are better in every way, the only thing veelas got going for them is the fall damage clade. But its clearly not enough. Being unable to disengage from fights has made the game completely zerg based, unless your somewhere like GK or Kran.

I keep hearing that in MO1 speed was "king", but thats bullshit. A Thursar was very capable of stickying down even a lean veela if they were any good at stickying, and if the veela was good at juking it was hard. But it felt balanced. I think Henrik only played MO1 at Awakening when veelas had turbo and got that idea stuck in his head.

And no stam bows are just as retarded, if not even more than in MO1. But at least there you had a counter play with tower shields. Now archers can just stay on you while using almost zero stam to peg you for 40s. Very balanced. I guess trying small scale in anything other than ogh or cron is pointless atm
Couldn't agree more. Literally the only reason to roll Veela right now is the fall damage and 10-minute CD (lol) speed boost if you can stack it with other veelas. Otherwise...they are just not that great at all.

Xronim

Aug 13, 2020
Normalizing speed just makes hp the new best thing to have on a character. why be 170 hp when you can be 200 hp and survive more attacks, and or have way more mana or damage bonus while being a hybrid or paladin build?

I guess the archery gift for Alvarin was just to cover a weakness they always had in mo1 but a full Sidoian, Kallard, Thursar or any Oghmir will still use better bows than an age 30 Veela.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
According to people currently playing Khurites a 1.7% difference in speed between full Khur and full Khal is meaningful, Khurites are a good build, and nothing needs to change. :rolleyes:

That being said I don't HATE how it is now. I like that Alvarin get a lot of their speed boost from creative terrain use rather than straight up being faster. And I PERSONALLY think some builds that are speed heavy right now (basically just Khurites) are super underpowered because 1.7% speed boost really means essentially nothing.

• Haha
Reactions: LivingshadeNL

LilLordFontleroy

Nov 28, 2020
I'm sort of in limbo because I rely on speed and dex/int for thievery and so if the gap remains the same I think the speed bonus could be workable but at the expense of being able to protect myself bc lack of enough health or strength. I did have success running away from some people already and running circles around them, hiding and juking them etc (watching them run by looking for me), but it's likely that they were not skilled up enough to compete fairly. That being said, thievery isn't even in the game yet...so I'm just trying things and having fun planning my build. I would absolutely prefer a larger speed gap, obviously.

I want to do thievery + mage, but I'd also settle for thievery + weakspot dagger, it'd be badass to do thievery + archer + mage but I'm not crossing my fingers. I'd be happy with a solid thief + mage or thief + dagger if they could hold themselves a little more strongly while solo.

Reactions: Kuroi