The Game isn't Ready [Poll]

Should they delay persistence (Full release)?

• Total voters

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
As someone who is a long time fan and player of MO1 and now MO2, even with all my gripes, my criticisms come with the idea of making the game a competitive, skill-based, fun hardcore full loot MMORPG. There has been a lot of uncertainties with balance changes / ideas, bug, short spans of time; and we're now approaching persistence for the game in about a months time.

As a member of the MO community and I'm sure among others, I ask that you refrain from sending the game into persistence so early. I believe the initial impression players will get will be a bad one and you'll drive away potential new players with the shape it is more than likely going to be in-in a months time. I would rather the game come out with as many essential features possible with as little bug / problems / server issues and well-rounded balance out of the gate then rushing it and then just dealing with problems until another patch comes along.

It's a very unprofessional route to force players to put up with potentially dry / bad / bug ridden patches until the game is 'stable and balanced'.

Please withhold persistence until the game is more finished, thanks.

Grasthard

Nov 21, 2020
Okinawa
yess! the game needs

- mounts
- wildlife
- all resources
- populated dungeons
- at least one school of magic
- flag sytem and thievery
- working TC and guildstones
- at least 1 "world boss" like the kimuru or spider queen or thorax
- ovverall optimization, but the direction is way better than MO1 when it was at the same stage

then you can go for release. otherwise SV will burn the release, which is the most important stage of any MMO

MaDeuce

May 28, 2020
As someone who is a long time fan and player of MO1 and now MO2, even with all my gripes, my criticisms come with the idea of making the game a competitive, skill-based, fun hardcore full loot MMORPG. There has been a lot of uncertainties with balance changes / ideas, bug, short spans of time; and we're now approaching persistence for the game in about a months time.

As a member of the MO community and I'm sure among others, I ask that you refrain from sending the game into persistence so early. I believe the initial impression players will get will be a bad one and you'll drive away potential new players with the shape it is more than likely going to be in-in a months time. I would rather the game come out with as many essential features possible with as little bug / problems / server issues and well-rounded balance out of the gate then rushing it and then just dealing with problems until another patch comes along.

It's a very unprofessional route to force players to put up with potentially dry / bad / bug ridden patches until the game is 'stable and balanced'.

Please withhold persistence until the game is more finished, thanks.

So, there are (2) "perceptions of persistent release". (1) Lets focus one at a time and then it will be clear. Lets talk persistent with UE4 or as SV --> IS <--persistently releasing Optimized Content and patches. (2) Are you talking "Early Access"?? Both these perceptions Henrik has drawn for you.

Xunila

May 28, 2020
Germany
There are too many features missing yet that nobody would believe in a release data before end of this year. Or StarVault had to patch all the items from the list of @Grasthard in the next two weeks.

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
So, there are (2) "perceptions of persistent release". (1) Lets focus one at a time and then it will be clear. Lets talk persistent with UE4 or as SV --> IS <--persistently releasing Optimized Content and patches. (2) Are you talking "Early Access"?? Both these perceptions Henrik has drawn for you.

Persistence, as defined by me and or SV, is when the game is available to the public and not deemed in 'alpha' in which you have to buy the game and pay a sub in-order to play as opposed to right now where you only buy into the alpha (Or win or get a get a key).

I believe the idea of new players having to purchase the game as well as sub, only to -wait- on specific features to come out is in someway a guised highway robbery of peoples money. It isn't fair, and it isn't professional. The game should be more balanced, well-rounded feature wise, and optimized before being shipped out IMO.

Reactions: jojowl

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
I think it is a matter of defining what is essential for a lasting and fun game experience.

@Grasthard and other who got used to walls, safe zones and guards that fight for them might feel that a TC system is essential. Personally I hope non of those things ever make it back into the game. I don´t even think housing should be a priority - let alone advanced territory control mechanism.

They need to round out combat (PvE, magic, potions, reserves, heat system), crafting and flagging. If all of those system work, are mostly bug free and accessible to everyone I think they can take money for a sub.

All of those system should be tested rigorously before the game launches into persistent state. SV has shown many times that they are stubborn to take away someones power (pets, mounts etc.) and leave broken features in the game without balance for months on end killing the population over time.

With an estimated 3 patches till "release" I don´t think they can even remotely deliver on this and they should take their time to do so. The only reason why they wouldn´t is that they are running out of cash and need the sub money.

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
It seems unlikely that we can go from springboks and melee to reptiles birds , magic, and dungeon mobs in one month.

they might be able to add them to the game but the balancing seems unlikely considering archery is still being worked on

Reactions: Handsome Young Man

Grasthard

Nov 21, 2020
Okinawa
@Grasthard and other who got used to walls, safe zones and guards that fight for them might feel that a TC system is essential. Personally I hope non of those things ever make it back into the game. I don´t even think housing should be a priority - let alone advanced territory control mechanism.

well, territory control is what makes a sandbox in the end. a player-driven mechanic that permanently re-shapes the online world.

If anything else though, it provides an end game goal and content for both single players (house etc) and large guilds (keeps, wars etc)

also, the super large map will feel extremely empty without any player-made structure in between cities, player hubs and similar things.

I also hope SV will re-introduce permanent/fixed structures that players need to build in order to make world navigation easier: bridges, ladders on scaffolds etc etc. For me the good thing of a sandbox is the idea of a persistent, wild world, that players slowly slowly tame into a more civilized environment

Reactions: Vagrant

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
well, territory control is what makes a sandbox in the end. a player-driven mechanic that permanently re-shapes the online world.

If anything else though, it provides an end game goal and content for both single players (house etc) and large guilds (keeps, wars etc)

also, the super large map will feel extremely empty without any player-made structure in between cities, player hubs and similar things.

I also hope SV will re-introduce permanent/fixed structures that players need to build in order to make world navigation easier: bridges, ladders on scaffolds etc etc. For me the good thing of a sandbox is the idea of a persistent, wild world, that players slowly slowly tame into a more civilized environment
Tc isn’t bad in and of itself, it’s the Complete safety that was the issue.

Reactions: Vakirauta

Rulant

May 30, 2020
persistent mid next year pls, unless it is plainly clear to all that there will be a dreaded..... w....i.....p....................................................e after x amount of time into persistent

Rulant

May 30, 2020
Game needs mounts, enemy ai, guard ai, magic, base building and TC before early access.
Keep system like keep system was like in early MO and then work on TC for a LONG time to make sure it's done right this time. Biggest problem introduced into MO1.

Reactions: Vagrant

Rulant

May 30, 2020
only let people build within certain large radius around their keeps but still have zone control past that so you can take townsset laws etc, make each thing you build in keep area take a certain amount of points with a cap on how many points you have and restrict placing so it can't have walls going through each other and through benches and buildings and all that trash from first game.

and ways to get over walls for raids and what not but it can take a while to do/be dangerous or easy to interrupt or whatever, just relatively cheap and not require blowing up a wall

Reactions: Grasthard

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
I mostly made this thread with a little bit of hope that the community would probably be against it, but it's glad to see (So far) a majority agree that releasing so soon (Which includes purchase of the game and an active sub to play) that it is far from being done.

Let's just hope SV take a look into their release plans and take a step back to further add, polish, balance, and bug squish rather than rush it out in a months time forcing players to buy + sub and then wait on content to come out.

It's one thing to have players buy into your alpha to play test and support a company, it's another trying to push it out to the public with an additional fee attached when you plan on not even having essential things like mounts not prepared for it.

I agree with a lot here, I don't see it happening in a month.

Reactions: Rulant

Wesley Snipes

May 28, 2020
Cash flow is probably the determining factor.

Can't live on investments forever

It's a double edge sword. Release with the bare minimal and an incomplete game loop will make the game look impotent and people will avoid it like the beer bug. An MMO with an incomplete or an even worse case, NO game loop is a death sentence. People generally aren't going to wait around for you to get your shit together. If they're going in to EA they need to have the majority of features of what makes the game the actual game, other wise people will just write it off as a completely aimless mordhau on a big map.

Xunila

May 28, 2020
Germany
Persistence, as defined by me and or SV, is when the game is available to the public and not deemed in 'alpha' in which you have to buy the game and pay a sub in-order to play as opposed to right now where you only buy into the alpha (Or win or get a get a key).

Persistent means no more resets! After a persistent release the characters are fix, skills are leraned and banks are filled. No way back to a clear state.

I don't think we would really need TC with release. There has been no TC at the release of MO1, the first keeps came about two month after release and same for houses. No TC at that time. But same as other missing features at release date like other magic schools or lockpicking, TC has to come soon.

Reactions: Tzone and Ibarruri

Wesley Snipes

May 28, 2020
Persistent means no more resets! After a persistent release the characters are fix, skills are leraned and banks are filled. No way back to a clear state.

I don't think we would really need TC with release. There has been no TC at the release of MO1, the first keeps came about two month after release and same for houses. No TC at that time. But same as other missing features at release date like other magic schools or lockpicking, TC has to come soon.

I'm going to say that not having TC and base building / houses at release in MO1 also hurt that game too. If you don't have a siege mechanic, territorial control, bases to fight over what exactly are you fighting for? Bragging rights I guess, but it seems pointless and aimless. It seems like a core aspect of the game would be to own land and fight over it, but if you can't do that from the beginning and have to wait x months, I'm not sure the game will have enough to keep people coming back till then. This is a lesson the developers of LO learned as well, they didn't have the content, the game got stale and people left. Those people never came back.

Reactions: Bicorps