The absolute thrilling gameplay of losing your horse to a tiny ledge in the middle of no where

TheChersk

Feb 1, 2022
I'm not sure what the exact solution here is but something really needs to be done.

- reduce mount fall damage significantly?
- make horses smarter so they won't suicide?
- more horse spawns so you can recover faster?

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
Mount fall damage would be fine as is if the horses didn't launch themselves when you hit bumps and at least tried to do a dead stop when running lowish speeds towards a ledge.

There are very few locations in the world where there is not a horse spawn pretty close.
Heck, look at the map website and see for yourself, then realize that not all horse spawns are on there, too.

Shamziebam

Feb 9, 2022
well, sometimes you literately fall such a long way that it could only result in death, and guess what, it doesn't. then sometimes you run into a ditch, and the horse dies horrible. This is just one of the many buggy things in this buggy early access game. I would support more horse spawns but tbh, horses should not be so easily tamable, it's way to carebear for everyone to have such easy acces to horses without having to spent at least 100+ points in it like tamers have.

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
People have wanted a different way of taming since early days of Mo1. Mercy mode required for aggressive animals is a good first step at least.
Have not heard any good suggestion on what taming SHOULD look like. In almost any game i've played with taming its usually: Do you have skill? Wave hands. And that's it.

SHOULD taming require a more complex mini game? Equipment(more than lore boosting equipment that we sort of already have a rerun from mo1)?
What would this be like?

Its NOT an easy problem.

Shamziebam

Feb 9, 2022
true, but taming should at least not be invest 30 points and heck you can tame every horse available. But i do agree since horses are mandatory you should be able to get them easy (at least basic horses)

I would love to see the better horses require a lot more skill, i would also like to see more differences between the horses.

A mini game for taming actually sounds really cool, but for now, pet's are so useless and buggy the only use for taming is getting horses :)

Shamziebam

Feb 9, 2022
they mention many fixes for many things in every stream, it's something different to put them fixes actually in the game.

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
Fall damage seems so random. Sometimes I'll fall like 12 feet and take tiny damage, sometimes I'll fall like 1 inch and nearly die

Larpushka

Feb 19, 2022
+1
Absolutely!
Horses fall damage needs to be looked at, no way such tiny slopes/ledges cause death... lost 2 horses for very small ledges and had literally nothing in my inventory or horse's inventory (no weight)

Also sliding down a slope (without a horse) needs to be looked at because sliding appears to be = jumping.... gravity would disagree

Turbizzler

May 28, 2020
Fabernum
Horses also do this little jump animation sometimes, when approaching a small stone. This is the cause of around 40% of horse deaths from fall damage.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
Game pretty much forces you to have taming in order to allow you to keep playing if your horse dies. Really annoying being out if 50 points to play the game away from towns. Needs to be a profession

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
I know what I'm about to say may go against popular opinion, but hear me out:

The only two reasons I can think of that may explain why horses die so easily even down a small slope, and why SV has decided to make them that way in MO2:

First, I don't know how many of us have ridden horses across the untamed countryside. Apparently, horses have very delicate legs and the way their body is structured makes it easy for them to be seriously injured.

But I think many of us may have been conditioned by Hollywood to think that horses are invincible warhorses that can go anywhere without getting seriously injured. I was reading these articles and was surprised to find out how fragile horses actually are in real life:

Second, I think SV may have made horses this way for balancing reasons. On the flat plains, mounted fighters and archers absolutely dominate, and those travelling on foot stand little to no chance of going toe to toe against them. For those travelling on foot, sloped terrain is probably their only defence and best friend against them.

I think SV intended horses to negotiate sloped terrain while the rider is dismounted. Again, this may be for balancing reasons and I have found myself having to dismount often in my trips across the countryside.

I have found that they do far better going down sloped terrain while I'm dismounted, and on many occasions I have seen other players doing the same thing. They take virtually no damage, and the creature pathing system will take care of the rest.

Last edited:

Larpushka

Feb 19, 2022
@finegamingconnoisseur

I won't get into the horse realism biomechanics but I'll point out that horses in MO2 appear to be able to carry large full-plated individuals with huge loot bags all while wearing a full metal armor and still able to gallop(!)...makes sense much? Even if you're right, it's a slippery slope getting into the biomechanics realism debate, I think the issue here is how to deal with it gameplay-wise not realism-wise, for instance if a ledge is dangerous enough then at the very least it should be up to the player whether you jump or not as oppose to automatically jumping and dying... like in Assassin Creed, if you can make the jump without damage, it automatically jumps. If a jump can possibly causes damage or death, it lets you choose whether you want to risk the jump by pressing the jump key... so even we if we leave the fall damage as it is (which again, I think it's exaggerated at this point especially considering how powerful are horses in MO2 being able to carry so much and still gallop) at least leave it up to the player

There is also the fact the horses don't actually need to jump because it's more of a slope, not a tiny ledge... look at 5:48 ...why was it even necessary for the horse to jump?
Youtube Video

Last edited:

Tzone

May 16, 2021
I know what I'm about to say may go against popular opinion, but hear me out:

The only two reasons I can think of that may explain why horses die so easily even down a small slope, and why SV has decided to make them that way in MO2:

First, I don't know how many of us have ridden horses across the untamed countryside. Apparently, horses have very delicate legs and the way their body is structured makes it easy for them to be seriously injured.

But I think many of us may have been conditioned by Hollywood to think that horses are invincible warhorses that can go anywhere without getting seriously injured. I was reading these articles and was surprised to find out how fragile horses actually are in real life:

Second, I think SV may have made horses this way for balancing reasons. On the flat plains, mounted fighters and archers absolutely dominate, and those travelling on foot stand little to no chance of going toe to toe against them. For those travelling on foot, sloped terrain is probably their only defence and best friend against them.

I think SV intended horses to negotiate sloped terrain while the rider is dismounted. Again, this may be for balancing reasons and I have found myself having to dismount often in my trips across the countryside.

I have found that they do far better going down sloped terrain while I'm dismounted, and on many occasions I have seen other players doing the same thing. They take virtually no damage, and the creature pathing system will take care of the rest.
Ive ridden horses through the worst of it, up and down hills jumped over trees and swam small rivers. They aint delicate the game just makes them get air when they shouldn't. The problem with this game is that the animals and even players get lift off or werid unnatural slides.

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
@finegamingconnoisseur

I won't get into the horse realism biomechanics but I'll point out that horses in MO2 appear to be able to carry large full-plated individuals with huge loot bags all while wearing a full metal armor and still able to gallop(!)...makes sense much? Even if you're right, it's a slippery slope getting into the biomechanics realism debate, I think the issue here is how to deal with it gameplay-wise not realism-wise, for instance if a ledge is dangerous enough then at the very least it should be up to the player whether you jump or not as oppose to automatically jumping and dying... like in Assassin Creed, if you can make the jump without damage, it automatically jumps. If a jump can possibly causes damage or death, it lets you choose whether you want to risk the jump by pressing the jump key... so even we if we leave the fall damage as it is (which again, I think it's exaggerated at this point especially considering how powerful are horses in MO2 being able to carry so much and still gallop) at least leave it up to the player

There is also the fact the horses don't actually need to jump because it's more of a slope, not a tiny ledge... look at 5:48 ...why was it even necessary for the horse to jump?
Youtube Video
Yes, I know where you're coming from. I think realism aside, there is an aspect of balancing that might be worth discussing.

As in the second point of my post, mounted fighters and archers dominate the plains which the central part of Myrland consists largely of.

I think there needs to be some careful balancing in order to not make mounted playstyles too overpowered. There needs to be some drawbacks and vulnerabilities to being a mounted fighter or archer.

The need to dismount when negotiating sloped terrain could be seen as one such drawback, so that players on foot would not also be run down on sloped terrain by their mounted counterparts.