Spiritism: Allow Spiritists to "Spirit Bind" equipped Weapons and Armor.

sigrace

Dec 10, 2020
I've always seen Spiritism as a magic school that should give high utility, especially around dying. I would like to propose a way to allow players to keep their armor and weapons after dying and reviving WITHOUT throwing off the MO2 that requires gear to be lost and destroyed to work.

Spirit Bound Gear:

Equipped Gear that is spirit bound will remain in the possession of the player through death, at the cost of a percentage of each equipped items durability. All of these numbers will be based on the spirit binding skill 0-100.
  • The item will takes 100-25% of it's maximum durability in durability damage on death. Lore: Your corporeal item resists being brought into the ethereal realm.

• Reviving from a priest imposes a 100-10% maximum durability damage to spirit bound items.

• Unequipping a a spirit bound item causes the binding to shatter, damaging the weapon for 100-50% of its maximum durability. Sheathing a weapon does not impose this penalty, but placing the weapon in you bag to equip another weapon does. This should prevent spirit walking armor and weapons to trade at full/usable durability.

• Entering am Ethereal Portal, whether dead or alive, applies 100-0% maximum durability as durability damage to equipped items. This could incentivize the creative use of Ethereal Portals, without having to rely on just the worn shorty. When fully skilled, it also doesn't punish the spiritist for spirit binding their gear, then farming more spirits.

• The spirit binding spell should cost 300 spirits and only apply spirit binds to equipped armor and weapons. Basically 2 medium spirit boxes. Depending on the armor, this could be well worth it or absolutely not depending on what was equipped.

• The spell always fumbles when used on someone else, meaning it can only be successfully self cast to prevent griefing.

• Ammo, spell reagents, and other non-equipable items cannot be spirit bound. Current rules at apply to spirits shouldn't change, namely that they only remain in your inventory when you go through an ether portal.

Spirit Binding Skill Investment:

This primary skill should be a child of both Spiritism and Ether Portals. This would make it so 300 Action Points are required to make this work fully.

Thoughts on this idea?

Last edited:
Reactions: Anabolic Man

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
a game called Crowfall did something like that where you'd only lose durability on death, but dropped all your other loot. The problem was that gatherers were risking everything, while attackers were risking nothing. People always say 'well they risk their time being wasted', but idc about that, i want something for myself

Anabolic Man

Sep 7, 2020
I like the Idea of spirit bound Gear and regs. There could be drops from a dungeon to add spirit bound charges to the Gear. Atm a Spiritist is only good for farming Spirits and kinda shitty for PVP. I don´t like the choke Point Meta, where the Deathknight worriors use the tactition clade and can spam brainless Auw Surge area damage, without having to care about team damage. This would spice the combat a bit up. Maybe this would require more People in the Midline, to defend the mages, if the enemy team have a spiritist, to surprise them from behind. On the other hand this woud require the possebility to banish ghosts from the world of the living using the spell to make them visible to laser them down. I personally think you should get half HP if you enter a gate to revive. TheSpiritist defenetly need some more love ! The Necro aswell. The controll Zombie spell is annoying, but getting rid of it require the Zombies to have less HP and a counter.

Last edited:

sigrace

Dec 10, 2020
a game called Crowfall did something like that where you'd only lose durability on death, but dropped all your other loot. The problem was that gatherers were risking everything, while attackers were risking nothing. People always say 'well they risk their time being wasted', but idc about that, i want something for myself
You bring up a valid point in terms of risk/reward, but that seems to be the nature of gathering in general. Gatherers are all already at high risk of being ganked and at a disadvantage when gathering certain materials, like wood or stone. There's always been an uneven risk/reward ratio.

The idea is to sink points into this that could otherwise go into combat focused skills. Most people know that the ether portal skill line is only really used for gathering spirits. There's the occasional rez with other spiritists here and there. It's 'wasted' action skill points, like taming and active regeneration. They're nice to have, but take up points from skills that would actively help you in combat, like controlled riding and endurance (small as the buff it). You spend 100 extra action skill points to be able to use your weapon and armor set at it's full damage and protection once after death, then one more time at a degraded value. There's still risk to them, but it's lessened at the cost of 300 action points and not being able to change out equipment without damaging it to a degraded state.

I like the Idea of spirit bound Gear and regs. There could be drops from a dungeon to add spirit bound charges to the Gear. Atm a Spiritist is only good for farming Spirits and kinda shitty for PVP. I don´t like the choke Point Meta, where the Deathknight worriors use the tactition clade and can spam brainless Auw Surge area damage, without having to care about team damage. This would spice the combat a bit up. Maybe this would require more People in the Midline, to defend the mages, if the enemy team have a spiritist, to surprise them from behind. On the other hand this woud require the possebility to banish ghosts from the world of the living using the spell to make them visible to laser them down. I personally think you should get half HP if you enter a gate to revive. TheSpiritist defenetly need some more love ! The Necro aswell. The controll Zombie spell is annoying, but getting rid of it require the Zombies to have less HP and a counter.
I agree with banishment needing an overall change, but I figured that was outside this threads topic. Honestly, we need a way to lock or slow spirits down. Or just a new 'kau-damage' spell for spirit fights. Moving 800 at all times makes things difficult to aim.

Reactions: Anabolic Man