Spirit Boxes

What Do You Think

• They look like lanterns.

• I like the look of them. (Those who don't, post why.)

• I want them to light up.

• I don't want them to light up.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
37.76655478735988, -122.48572468757628
U94Rn2i.png

Screenshot from https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1183017765

Henrik presented the models for the new (item) Spirit Boxes of various capacities. (For the Spiritism school of Magic.) You can buy or sell, trade, & loot them, and drop them on the ground separate from Loot Bags.
-- Stuff Henrik Said

I'd like to assume that these models witll be made in Cuprum, Silver, Gold, something else... and Oghmium (similar to the tiers of Codexes in MO1).

• Love
Reactions: AssassinOTL

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
Shame there is no way to pick them up from a banished spiritist :p

Nefnate

Jun 23, 2021
My Mind
U94Rn2i.png

Screenshot from https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1183017765

Henrik presented the models for the new (item) Spirit Boxes of various capacities. (For the Spiritism school of Magic.) You can buy or sell, trade, & loot them, and drop them on the ground separate from Loot Bags.
-- Stuff Henrik Said

I'd like to assume that these models witll be made in Cuprum, Silver, Gold, something else... and Oghmium (similar to the tiers of Codexes in MO1).
I dont get it, honestly. Sure they are pretty, but, yes, they look like lanterns... they are clearly made of some sort of matter. You even go as far to assume their materials/tiers... but, the Etherworld and the Spirits within (including yourself) are pure energy (stated by Henrik on a recent stream). The reason we cannot take anything other than Spirit Boxes into the Ether is because it simply cannot exist there. So... why do these look like they are made of Metal?

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
I dont get it, honestly. Sure they are pretty, but, yes, they look like lanterns... they are clearly made of some sort of matter. You even go as far to assume their materials/tiers... but, the Etherworld and the Spirits within (including yourself) are pure energy (stated by Henrik on a recent stream). The reason we cannot take anything other than Spirit Boxes into the Ether is because it simply cannot exist there. So... why do these look like they are made of Metal?
Because magic

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
I don't assume what the Spirits in MO2 are made of— But are you assumeing that the boxes themselves have nothing physical to them?

In any case, what these containers resemble (which, as I said I would like to assume, might be made in tiers of metal, as codexes were) can be anything, even if they're made of nothing substantial. If they aren't substantial, I see ho logic in them falling to the ground. They can be full of spirits or full of air.

If you have a better idea that the Spirit Boxes must be made of non-material (ectoplasm, perhaps) and must look like pure energy in some shape, better rush it out here for Star Vault's consideration before they settle on these models.

Then, I'd like you to explain why they cannot look like metal, wood, glass, wax candles, or an Everlasting Gobstopper.

Belegar

Oct 16, 2021

So you are okay that a mage can use some powder (calamine) and basic water to repair bone, flesh and organs 20 meters away with the wave of a hand, but a lantern enchanted by a magic vendor that can enter the Spirit World, that's just to weird?

Nefnate

Jun 23, 2021
My Mind
I don't assume what the Spirits in MO2 are made of— But are you assumeing that the boxes themselves have nothing physical to them?

In any case, what these containers resemble (which, as I said I would like to assume, might be made in tiers of metal, as codexes were) can be anything, even if they're made of nothing substantial. If they aren't substantial, I see ho logic in them falling to the ground. They can be full of spirits or full of air.

If you have a better idea that the Spirit Boxes must be made of non-material (ectoplasm, perhaps) and must look like pure energy in some shape, better rush it out here for Star Vault's consideration before they settle on these models.

Then, I'd like you to explain why they cannot look like metal, wood, glass, wax candles, or an Everlasting Gobstopper.
They very well could look like anything and not actually be what they look like, yes, I didn't go that route with my thinking. All I knew/know is that Henriks reasoning for not being able to take anything to the ether is that spirits and the etherworld are pure energy and that matter cannot exist, and these boxes seemed to contradict that.

Reactions: Najwalaylah

Nefnate

Jun 23, 2021
My Mind
So you are okay that a mage can use some powder (calamine) and basic water to repair bone, flesh and organs 20 meters away with the wave of a hand, but a lantern enchanted by a magic vendor that can enter the Spirit World, that's just to weird?
It's about the the principle - when Henrik defines explicit rules/phenomenon, I expect him to not be... wrong?

I am not trying to control / dictate / even fully understand how Spiritism works, and am not talking about magic itself in general. I am talking about specificially how the idea of matter entering the Ether goes against a core element that Henrik recently stated. It breaks the logic that he himself introduced, so it's hard for me to understand why.

If he said something like others in this thread are.. "it's magic!?" then I wouldnt care, I would just see these boxes and like them. That isn't the case, though.

Last edited:

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
It's about the the principle - when Henrik defines explicit rules/phenomenon, I expect him to not be... wrong?
You're absolutely right to do so. Consistency is a virtue in game designers.

Just on general principles, games shouldn't make a player's brain itch too badly.

On the other hand, let's just accept that the pretty boxes and the Wonderful Things collected to go inside them are essentially outside of most of our Mortal perception. There's another thread right now about spirits not looking enough "like spirits" instead of jellyfish. I keep wanting to ask if the OP in that thread has ever seen a ghost.) Apparently that means they're not wispy enough. But those are just apparitions, and so were the hooded figures that ghosts used to be in early MO1-- unless it was the ghost of a Horse, which case it just looked like... a Horse.Oh, and remember how sometimes a spider would die and there'd be thse little butterfly soul-spirites hovering over it?

VGFSzJy.png

It's like we're debating the shape and substance of rainbows, here.

• Sad
Reactions: Nefnate

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
Rainbows taste of caramel! I keep telling you but you just won't listen!

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
In OUR real world magicians have been storing spirits in real objects for millenia. <-- truly.
I've seen spirits stored in glass bottles with labels and a tax stamp.

If you know what I mean.

It's too bad that Mortal Online spirits don't manifest as Rabbits. Then Spiritists could store them inside a Tall Hat and pull them out with some magic words. ;)