Some clean nice Sword Fighting

Kavu

Jun 21, 2020
USA
So the first video DOES feel a lot cleaner... but..

It kind of illustrates just how boring 1 v 1 actually would be if it worked properly.

At risk of sounding like @bbihah
This is concerning because it means even if the bugs and desync issues are ironed out we're still gonna be left with...
Swing -> Parry -> Counter -> Parry-> Counter -> Parry -> Counter-> Repeat until someone fat fingers the wrong direction

Which isn't that interesting... :/

It seems almost like an extension of the "parry game" excercise.

It feels like the skill involved in the "clean" swordplay will come down to just trying to position yourself to make the swings come at them faster and rob them of a bit of reaction time, which again.. isn't that interesting.

If I had to choose between video 1 and video 2 for what to play, I'd choose 2, because of more variety and skill ceiling... But I know in practice there's still more awful stuff involved like desync swinging clean through blocks, and holding swings until you can swing through the blocks by abusing the block window.

In summary,
nice vids, I'm just sad.

Reactions: Rhias

Speznat

May 28, 2020
Tindrem
wolfszeit.online
i like that fight style more that is not a contest of who can run more stupid around like maniacs and spaming weapon because blockign is for pussies.

thats videos are great, and great fights not the shit we had in MO1 . maybe im wrong maybe not. I like the news system style.

lets call it the "aincrad style"

Reactions: Bremlin

Kavu

Jun 21, 2020
USA
lets call it the "aincrad style"

Definitely not gonna call it that. It's not in any way catchy, doesn't make any damn sense, and its a bad anime reference. It's also barely a "style" its just using the basic mechanics while looking at your opponent. "Vanilla" style would make more sense, and I still wouldn't recommend calling it that either.

D

Dracu

So the first video DOES feel a lot cleaner... but..

It kind of illustrates just how boring 1 v 1 actually would be if it worked properly.

At risk of sounding like @bbihah
This is concerning because it means even if the bugs and desync issues are ironed out we're still gonna be left with...
Swing -> Parry -> Counter -> Parry-> Counter -> Parry -> Counter-> Repeat until someone fat fingers the wrong direction

Which isn't that interesting... :/

It seems almost like an extension of the "parry game" excercise.

It feels like the skill involved in the "clean" swordplay will come down to just trying to position yourself to make the swings come at them faster and rob them of a bit of reaction time, which again.. isn't that interesting.

If I had to choose between video 1 and video 2 for what to play, I'd choose 2, because of more variety and skill ceiling... But I know in practice there's still more awful stuff involved like desync swinging clean through blocks, and holding swings until you can swing through the blocks by abusing the block window.

In summary,
nice vids, I'm just sad.
Yeah hits going through blocks is a major issue and i see them in teamfights too atm.
Iam honestly more interested in a fleshed out 'Vanilla' playstyle then relying on twitching tricks.
We need a counter against blocks atm to not solely rely on the counter exchanges.

The twisting is something i really hate about this combat. Its not a skill full movement to spin your camera... the only skill it takes is to guess where your oponent is when looking away from him. And it looks retardet.

I would rather see my enemy while fighting then the sky or fauna.

Reactions: Kavu

Bonii

Jun 8, 2020
Looks clunky and the head bob is frustrating on every step.

At least I'll have a maximum of 10 ping.

Turbizzler

May 28, 2020
Fabernum
I'm not a fan of 1v1's revolving around parry wars, not a fan of ballerina spinning either.

There needs to be a balance between aggressive and defensive capabilities in melee games, so each player to utilize their strengths in their playstyle, but also have counters to opposite play-styles, that don't revolve around cheese. From all the videos I've seen of MO2 so far, it's either people committing to parry wars or one guy spinning around manipulating animations to make their opponent mis-time their parry. Both approaches are meh.

If I want spin top combat, I'll stick to M&B or Chivalry. if I want parry wars I'll join a 1v1 duel server on Mordhau that frowns upon feinting and morphing(Can't believe these servers exist lol)

Hopefully SV can add more depth and freedom to combat, to allow multiple playstyles being beneficial without allowing cheese to be overly effective.

Reactions: Dracu

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
I'm not a fan of 1v1's revolving around parry wars, not a fan of ballerina spinning either.

There needs to be a balance between aggressive and defensive capabilities in melee games, so each player to utilize their strengths in their playstyle, but also have counters to opposite play-styles, that don't revolve around cheese. From all the videos I've seen of MO2 so far, it's either people committing to parry wars or one guy spinning around manipulating animations to make their opponent mis-time their parry. Both approaches are meh.

If I want spin top combat, I'll stick to M&B or Chivalry. if I want parry wars I'll join a 1v1 duel server on Mordhau that frowns upon feinting and morphing(Can't believe these servers exist lol)

Hopefully SV can add more depth and freedom to combat, to allow multiple playstyles being beneficial without allowing cheese to be overly effective.
I'm not going to say that it isn't skill based because some of these moves are incredibly hard to land, but its too taxing at this point. I'm expending way too much effort to break a block and it probably isn't good game design. Also this ping penalty to high latency makes no sense to me. High latency players weren't the ones that were hard to deal with in MO so I don't understand the need for it. Sweating to break the block of someone with low latency is kind of lame.

Reactions: Kavu

Gannicus

Aug 7, 2020
I'm not going to say that it isn't skill based because some of these moves are incredibly hard to land, but its too taxing at this point. I'm expending way too much effort to break a block and it probably isn't good game design. Also this ping penalty to high latency makes no sense to me. High latency players weren't the ones that were hard to deal with in MO so I don't understand the need for it. Sweating to break the block of someone with low latency is kind of lame.

The thing is the swings from us non EU players are 10x easier to parry. You know there's a problem when you can react to the counter swings of an aussie player better than an EU one.

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
The thing is the swings from us non EU players are 10x easier to parry. You know there's a problem when you can react to the counter swings of an aussie player better than an EU one.
Yeah i'm NA too and its noticeable. If you take someone with less than 20 ping and have them uncharge hits with a warhammer you won't even see the swing. I don't want to overly complain, but I don't think its great.

Reactions: Dracu and Kavu

Anabolic Man

Sep 7, 2020
I think combo attacks would be nice.

Option 1: could be : Fully charged left attack into right swing or overhead.

Option 2: Maybe canceled reposte strike (Feint) into another directional attack ? Maybe the parry strikes would have to be made a little slower to make this mechanic work.

Option 3: Making it possible to make a 2 swing combo after a parry, such as repost left swing into overhead or step repost.

Maybe make it possible to bind left and right block to hotkeys such as thump mouse buttom 1 and 2 and mid block on right mouse, to give you more controll ?

What of the option you think might work ? Which of the options would you prefer ? If all mentioned options would be added it would be too much, but adding one of those options would be very nice.

Last edited:

Anabolic Man

Sep 7, 2020
Option 4

I am not sure if this option work in an mmo, but it should be tried out during the combat alpha.

Last Option could be if Starvoault would implement charged swings on left mouse + the direction in which you are looking, as it is now for the first hit, when you run towards an opponent and add comboable fast swings as an option if you are in close combat, as in chivalery/Mordhau.

With fast swings i mean swings which can´t be charged but comboed and which would deal less damage as charged attacks. One fluid animation of charging the weapon and releasing it.

The fast swings could be bound on Q = left swing, E= rigth swing Mouse forward =steb and mousewheel down= overhead ? This combines with the mortal online blocking mechanics, becuase aimed blocking would be terrible for low ping players ?

I think all of the 4 options should be tried out seperatly and if they are bad they should be removed.

Last edited: