Realistic vs Skillbased:

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Oya, got another thread. Hope I don't get instakilled while writing this.

I know I have some of the more wild ideas/irrational (at least seemingly) dislikes for mechanics (like crosshairs on bow), etc, but I've heard that whole MO is a RP game opposed to a hardcore pvp sandbox a few times... but the question I have is which is actually better for a game like MO?

To focus on more mechanics to make the game more 'skill based' and make sure that the 'more skilled group' wins even in hairy situations OR to have a high level of realism where people could come into battle w/ a bunch of diff weps, diff styles (not so much terror birds but lol) and bang it out 40v40 or whatever?

Obviously, both directions would require more balancing. Like I said before prol on mofo1 (and prol more after that,) MO1 was branded a murder sim and I can see why because it really did feel like you were murdering someone or getting murdered in a lot of cases. Sure, there were non-combats, but all the different animations and ways to bust someone's ass. For me, I think that might be one of the few things that can save MO, is making it really immersive and FUN and make it more cutthroat so good players can lose to bad players sometimes if they aren't on point. Since most players know who is good and who isn't (like really good) in this game, a lot of people can go into a fight and already know. Not saying you shouldn't win and shouldn't know, but there should be some element of danger.

Everyone should feel some level of danger imo, everyone should be able to contribute something in a fight (not so much terror birds.) I don't know if the 'skill' required changes if they switch it to a bloody medieval war sim opposed to a more duel (seemingly) oriented game. It just changes how you have to go about things. Like I said, it adds more risk. Sure you prol get zerged o well. Getting zerged sucks, but risk doesn't. Risk was 1 thing I always felt in MO1 and rarely felt in mo2. With that comes a huge loss of immersion.

MORE DEATH, MORE BLOOD, PAINT NAVE RED.

Ah well. I mean, I doubt there is a way to save this game, but I do think making it fun might be one last thing to try lool.

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
How can we even begin to talk about skill based when we cant even get ping sorted out, or node lines, or random lag spikes.

Cant even get people to load right when riding on horses.

I would settle for “accurate, responsive and dependable” gaming experience. Skill based is a pipe dream.

Reactions: Teknique

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
How can we even begin to talk about skill based when we cant even get ping sorted out, or node lines, or random lag spikes.

Cant even get people to load right when riding on horses.

I would settle for “accurate, responsive and dependable” gaming experience. Skill based is a pipe dream.

well a portion of the community believes it is at least moving in a skill based direction. What I'm saying is... isn't that kind of wrong because of, if nothing else, stuff like what you listed. Wouldn't it be better to have a more derpy game that wasn't as mechanically precise. That's why I said increase hit box size for people running around on foot v arrows. Nobody is hurt. Helps v lag. gg?

Hodo

Mar 7, 2022
Oya, got another thread. Hope I don't get instakilled while writing this.

I know I have some of the more wild ideas/irrational (at least seemingly) dislikes for mechanics (like crosshairs on bow), etc, but I've heard that whole MO is a RP game opposed to a hardcore pvp sandbox a few times... but the question I have is which is actually better for a game like MO?

To focus on more mechanics to make the game more 'skill based' and make sure that the 'more skilled group' wins even in hairy situations OR to have a high level of realism where people could come into battle w/ a bunch of diff weps, diff styles (not so much terror birds but lol) and bang it out 40v40 or whatever?

Obviously, both directions would require more balancing. Like I said before prol on mofo1 (and prol more after that,) MO1 was branded a murder sim and I can see why because it really did feel like you were murdering someone or getting murdered in a lot of cases. Sure, there were non-combats, but all the different animations and ways to bust someone's ass. For me, I think that might be one of the few things that can save MO, is making it really immersive and FUN and make it more cutthroat so good players can lose to bad players sometimes if they aren't on point. Since most players know who is good and who isn't (like really good) in this game, a lot of people can go into a fight and already know. Not saying you shouldn't win and shouldn't know, but there should be some element of danger.

Everyone should feel some level of danger imo, everyone should be able to contribute something in a fight (not so much terror birds.) I don't know if the 'skill' required changes if they switch it to a bloody medieval war sim opposed to a more duel (seemingly) oriented game. It just changes how you have to go about things. Like I said, it adds more risk. Sure you prol get zerged o well. Getting zerged sucks, but risk doesn't. Risk was 1 thing I always felt in MO1 and rarely felt in mo2. With that comes a huge loss of immersion.

MORE DEATH, MORE BLOOD, PAINT NAVE RED.

Ah well. I mean, I doubt there is a way to save this game, but I do think making it fun might be one last thing to try lool.

People in MO1 remember those who just put a dot in the middle of their screen to have an aiming pip like the one we have now. Others remember the macros people wrote to have a digital overlay that did that instead. The cross hair is pretty easy mode compared to MO1, but to be quite frank MO2 is an easier version of MO1. There really isnt anything hard in this version of the game.

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
People in MO1 remember those who just put a dot in the middle of their screen to have an aiming pip like the one we have now. Others remember the macros people wrote to have a digital overlay that did that instead. The cross hair is pretty easy mode compared to MO1, but to be quite frank MO2 is an easier version of MO1. There really isnt anything hard in this version of the game.
MO 2 is mo 1 where classes and gameplay being fun has been fixed. Now that nothing is interesting to play we can say its balanced.

The only good thing about this game is dueling with swords. Thankfully so considering it took 3/4's of the development time.

Reactions: Hodo