Race Bonuses Suggestions

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
For a long time I've been saying we need race bonuses in addition to clade bonuses to help set the races apart. This is a sentiment I've seen echoed by MANY people in this community as well. I'm going to give a complete list of a potential bonus set for every race. These bonuses are aimed at bringing races more in line with what they should logically be good at going of things like racial style, historical parallels, and things like the lore saying that Khurites are some of the best mounted builds in the world. These bonuses are of varying strength and quantities and that's intentional. For instance, Khurites need better buffs than Kallards because they're a worse race.

How is it determined which bonus you get?

Dominant race. If you look like it, you get it's bonus. For instance if you have the Tindremene appearance it's their bonus you get. The one exception is Thursars, whose bonus is twist of their dominant human parent (The first of the two) twisted to reflect the highly martial nature of Thursars.

Tindremene:

+10% damage with a shield equipped. Armor is treated as 5kg lighter for purposes of stam regen.

Inspiration: Romans were infamous for their heavy infantry and shields. While current Tindremenes make a good hybrid, this strengthens Tindremenes that want to go a tankier route. Currently it only applies to melee damage since shields can only accompany melee weapons. When thrown weapons make it in, it would make them a strong shield and javelin build too which makes ALL KINDS of sense.

Kallard:

Equipped weapons are treated as 0-50% lighter from 20-0kg armor.

Inspiration: Kallards are a tough race already so they don't need a straight buff. But as a barbarian race that currently has the lightest armor set in-game it makes sense to buff them in melee as they gear down. This bonus encourages them to run heavy weapons with light armor. Perfect for their flavor. Like this actually makes Kallard armor with a Kallard double-axe not a braindead build for a Kallard footfighter.

Khurites:

Dex grants dismount resistance. +5% melee and archery damage while mounted.

Khurites are flavored off the Mongolians and their lore says they are the best horseman in the world. This bonus lives up to that, making their high dex stat beneficial to their mounted builds and compensating for their smaller size (for melee) and lower strength (for melee and bows) by giving them a flat damage bonus while mounted.

Sidoians:

Recieve 5% of physical dealt to opponents as mana.
Toggle ability: Melee and ranged attacks deal 4 additional magic damage at the cost of 15-5 mana (15 on no charge attack, 5 on a full charge attack). This abilities damage scales up with intelligence like a spell.

Inspiration: Sidoians are a high strength/high int but they are too slow to play any kind of kiter hybrid. This leaves their only real viable build right now as fatmage or a mounted hybrid. These bonuses only do so much for those builds but significantly buff them as a melee heavy hybrid with high int in that they no longer need to kite to benefit from their magic. Opening up some seriously cool build options for foot hybrids that wouldn't otherwise be viable.

Sarduucans:

Add psyche to dex in determining weakspot chance.

Inspiration: The art showing Sarduucans depicts them as thieves and there is plenty of basis for middle eastern fighters as agile and deadly. But their low strength makes them ineffective at melee and archery. The increased weakspot chance from psyche makes them better at both on high psyche builds (which they totally have the attribute points to pull off). They are already strong mages as lore states so this doesn't really need buffing.

Veela:

10% more poison damage with poisoned weapons. (5% more damage with daggers and spears until poison makes it in)

Inspiration: This is a dexterous jungle race so spears, knives, and poison all make sense as weapons of choice. These bonuses might need to be toned down though. Not because they are strong compared with the others on the list but because... do Veela really need a buff? I wracked my brain for a tradeoff bonus like Kallards and Thur/Kall and just couldn't find one that satisfied me.

Sheevra:

+10% spell range, Outburst deals 20% more damage

Inspiration: Fast, agile, not too great compared to Veela but not bad either. This feels like a moderate bonus for a race that only needs a bit of love, strengthening their ability to kite and traverse many forms of terrain by allowing them to leverage that as a spell sniper.

Blainn:

Molvas under their control have 10% more HP.

Inspiration: You know you want this. And Blain make a lot of sense for that kind of role in terms of style/lore. Huergar have a bit better strength and int and therefore are better at mounted archery and mounted mage. With small stature Ohgmir aren't ideal mounted melee either. This small bonus makes Blainn arguably a solid pick for all three of those roles while not overly buffing an already strong foot-fighter race.

Huergar:

Treated as one weight category lower for for the purposes of dexterity when beneficial.

Inspiration: Strong race, doesn't need much in the way of buffs, but they're pretty bad on foot with their super low dex. Given viable Huergar builds range from stout to obese, this helps these stout little guys carry their weight better and makes running on foot a slightly better choice for them while doing nothing to strengthen their already strong mounted play.

Thursar Tindremene:

+10% damage with a shield equipped. Shield bashes can be charged to deal blunt damage (damage effect countered with low block/parry).

Inspiration: A Thursar living in the Tindremene society would be considered trash. Afforded little in the way of equipment as a fighter. Certainly not heavy armor like a proper legionnaire. But auxiliaries often got shields as part of their lighter equipment so carrying that bonus over to the more damage oriented style of a Thursar makes sense.

Thursar Kallard:

Equipped weapons are treated as 0-50% lighter from 20-0kg armor.

Inspiration: Honestly the bonus translates perfectly. No reason to tweak it. And a tradeoff for Thur/Kall makes sense for the same reason it makes sense for Khall. This is the best variant of Thursar hands down currently as the highest melee damage variant of a melee damage oriented clade. Tindremene is the only other one close to as good.

Thursar Khurite:

Can ride any mount a human can.

Inspiration: These guys are small for thursars with lower strength and size than kallards making them one of the weakest choices for a mounted thursar. But all thursars are inherently good as mounted builds by virtue of their high strength and size compared to other races. Removing their penalty fits their heritage and potentially makes them better than Thur/Kals at cavalry builds.

Thursar Sidoians:

Treated as 20 intelligence higher when casting offensive spells. Offensive spells charge 20% faster and benefit from Thursar damage bonuses.

Inspiration: Thursars aren't great hybrids. This one is a bit better while keeping with the highly damage oriented nature of Thursars. It could potentially be leveraged to make a very damage oriented full-mage with it's effective int equaling a Sidoian's for damage oriented spells but this would be a very one-trick build that would just barely be viable at all.

Thursar Sarduucan:

Controlled pets receive a bonus to damage that scales on psyche.

Inspiration: Sarduucans are a decent beastmaster with their high psyche and in terms of lore that makes alot of sense. Thur/Sard are the physically weakest Thursars and can't really rely on melee or archery to the degrees the others can. Thursars live brutal lives and are often cast out into the streets or wild. This makes a strong melee or archer tamer by relying on stronger pets to make up for lower physical stats. Something these individuals might logically do in-character if they have to compete with Thursar brethren of other human heritages.

Last edited:

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020

iu

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
A couple of thoughts:

Weight and size should determined which mounts you can effectively ride. Fixing certain mounts to certain races sounds lame nad will be used to lazy fix mounted balance. While the former system is harder to balance it offers more freedom.

@Tindremenes
I think the hybrid roles fit perfectly for them. I´m fairly certain if the romans would have had access to thunderlashes they would have given them to every legionary. More fitting might something that boost their social standing and reflects their corrupted flexible morals.

@khurites
Depends on the dismount system, but yes something along those lines would be fitting.

@Alvarin
Ideally the difference between the two would emphasize the different enviroments they live in. For example Veela could have way stronger night vision or way better "sense the living" while Sheevra get a vision that is actually useful in caves and dungeons (considering that is where they live). Just giving them a bit of more damage seems lame.

@Huegar
Only they should get the Ichor pipe. Blainn are famous for not doing that shit.

@Blainn
Molva/babunta related stuff might be cool.

@sidoians
A tough one. Strength could give a bonus to magical damage, inspired by admiratino for both raw strength and mathematical logic.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
I feel like further enhancement to Sidoians in terms of fatmages would be bad. They already have a lot of things pulling for them in terms of a fatmage build.

A reasonable argument can be made Huergar are the best fast mages but I've heard Sidoians argued as the holders of that role as well and the arguments sounds solid. I'm not really sure which direction I would go if I do play a fatmage, so that right there is a sign of good balance between those two builds.

In terms of hybrid though. As things stand, I would never play a Sidoian foot-hybrid. They're a bit short for a good melee build and a bit slow for a build overly reliant on spells. If they had some bonus that allows them to leverage both strengths as suggested though, I absolutely would. This is also why I made it a per-hit bonus. Mounted hybrid wouldn't benefit much but foot hybrids could for sure. They just absolutely feel like they should make amazing foot-hybrids and they don't. I think changing that very much fits their theme.

I could agree with making Ichor-Pipe Heurgar only. You're correct that Blainn having them makes zero lore sense. Were that to be the case though I'd probably give Blainn a powerful bonus to make them better foot-fighters though in addition to the suggested mounted bonus. I feel like Blainn without ichor-pipe would be unquestionably worse at foot fighting than Huergar which doesn't make much sense.

Last edited:

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
Edited in a change to the Sidoian suggestion where the mana cost scales down as a swing charges up. That way it's harder to abuse it with completely uncharged swings adding bonus damage. They still add it but would rather quickly deplete mana reserves.