Queue - how it should work

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
This thread is intended for suggestions on how we expect the logon queue to work. I understand right now its broken and since they're fixing it, we may as well make some suggestions on how to make it better.

1. user connects to the logon server.
  2. authenticate to steam to validate the account
  3. if no space is availalbe, stay connected to the server and show a periodically updating feed of position in the queue, and perhaps an estimation of time remaining (time remaining may be difficult to get accurate but just knowing position in the queue can be extremely helpful)
  4. Disconnection from the server should not immediately abandon position in the queue
    1. disconnection should retain the user's position for x many minutes (15 ?) which gives them a chance to log back in and resume position in queue
    2. this should also pertain to players who disconnect after successfully logging in. i.e. if you have a network hiccup or port to a different haven instance (or to one of the nave cities) and return to the login screen, you shouldnt have to fight the queue to get back in.
    3. after the 15 minutes, your session is terminated and you will have to go back to the end of the queue when you login after that point.

this is generally how i've seen queues work in other games. I think its kinda silly that the client seems to periodically attempt to connect to the server and likely has to authenticate each time. Also silly that you are not ushered to the head of the queue when immediately relogging after any disconnect.

-barcode

MolagAmur

Jul 15, 2020
I think one of the most important things is to allow people who disconnect to keep their spot in the queue. Queue times suck, but are manageable. What sends people into a rage is when you DC and get sent to the back of the line.

Reactions: Kelzyr

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
Two main problems I am having is:

1. 100% of the time it gets past queue it then fails.
2. Queue time always says "longer than 10 minutes". Never more. Never less.

As is, queues may as well not exist.

Kebek

Jan 11, 2021
Two main problems I am having is:

1. 100% of the time it gets past queue it then fails.
2. Queue time always says "longer than 10 minutes". Never more. Never less.

As is, queues may as well not exist.

I've also seen queue times of under a minute and over a minute.