One character per account

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
as per henrik, MO2 will be only one character per account. while this may some some issues with constant relogs to move materials around and craft stuff, it causes other problems as there is then no way to have a vastly different character available to play. If you've skilled your character up for mounted combat, you'll likely have a helluva time switching to a magic user and then back again.

this brings up the question: *why* will we will be limited to one character?

is it for economic reasons? many people in MO1 would have several dedicated crafting toons so they wouldnt have to be reliant on others for gear or materials. also tied into this is inventory space, having multiple toons with their own inventories chews up more server resources.
is it for fast travel reasons? you could have other characters in various places in the map to be available anywhere on short notice
is it for spying reasons? having multiple characters makes it easier to sneak into guilds on one toon while staying loyal to another on other toons

personally i'd very much like to have multiple toons to explore various playstyles. If the limit is for the economy, i'd happily share the same crafting skill points among all characters. If its the bank space, i'd be willing to share that as well, but not having my own bank would be a real downer. fast travel? maybe tying faction standings together would limit free movement to certain areas (a bit of a stretch on that one). spying... could make all toons join the same guild when guilded (tho certainly those with multiple accounts can still spy)

I dont know what the reasons are for preventing multiple characters, but would like to have it as a possibility.

-barcode

Phen

May 29, 2020
Earth
I feel they could create the lore to allow all Clades to be able to do any trade or combat style. Your Clade may not be the best of the best due to Clade gifts and inherent abilities. Though each should be able to perform all possible avenues the game has to offer at a competitive level.

I hope this is Henriks idea at least.

Sebastian Persson

Lead Programmer
Staff member
May 27, 2020
Sweden
I was not very for this idea when I was told we would do 1 char per account but have had my mind changed.

Having one character per account makes every named character more of a person. It makes the name of your character more important and its reputation in the community more important.

Its the opposite to the f2p 4 char thing we had in MO1 where a lot of people had tons of random character for all kinds of tasks. Now you have one that can do so much more but still need to ineract with other players to succeed.

Slammington Unchained

May 28, 2020
I was not very for this idea when I was told we would do 1 char per account but have had my mind changed.

Having one character per account makes every named character more of a person. It makes the name of your character more important and its reputation in the community more important.

Its the opposite to the f2p 4 char thing we had in MO1 where a lot of people had tons of random character for all kinds of tasks. Now you have one that can do so much more but still need to ineract with other players to succeed.
Will purchasing multiple accounts be bannable as well?

barcode

Jun 2, 2020

i'm sure i'm not the only one who enjoys multiple playstyles and being restricted to a single character can be rather ... limiting. if i make a caster and decide i'd like to try out a melee toon for a while, its a large time investment to reskill/restat everything over to be a respectible fighter and vice versa. If as phen mentioned, it would be better to change to a different clade altogether for this for the clade bonuses, i'd end up having to delete the character altogether (losing any gained assets unless i entrust my wealth to someone else in the meanwhile, and possibly building ownership etc).

would be instead be possible to link certain parts of an account? introduce a 'surname' thats the same for all characters on an account so the name and reputation you have will still apply. linking the non-combat skills for all of them would retain the need to communicate with others and work with a (hopefully vastly improved) broker and remove the chance for self-sufficiency that many of ther other dedicated crafting toons in mo1 provided. linking the faction standing with all of them will prevent people going red on one toon and playing the goodie goodie blue on another.

please consider compromise in this regard

-barcode

Slammington Unchained

May 28, 2020
i'm sure i'm not the only one who enjoys multiple playstyles and being restricted to a single character can be rather ... limiting. if i make a caster and decide i'd like to try out a melee toon for a while, its a large time investment to reskill/restat everything over to be a respectible fighter and vice versa.

-barcode
So depending on how Henrik implements his new skill system, you may be able to be a caster and a fighter simultaneously. The obvious look at it is hybrids from MO1, but with clades and stuff as well, you may not always need a "veela veela age 23" to have the optimal hybrid/mage stats or thur-khur for optimal fighter stats. Maybe one clade will give different advantages for melee and magic compared to another clade, but you should still be able to try out most aspects of combat

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
if i make a caster and decide i'd like to try out a melee toon for a while, its a large time investment to reskill/restat everything over to be a respectible fighter and vice versa.

I think you´re assumption is wrong. In the Q&A Henrik already talked about skills sub 100 being more useful. Even in MO 1 there were possibilities to switch roles, even if that was annoying. Eldrath actually was: Tamer, daggerfighter, mage, hybrid, gatherer.

The problem arose when a. skills affected speed or b. threshold systems like the dismount. For A. you just got killed in PvP - so either you grind it up to 100 or fuck up your whole group. For B. it´s bad game design, either grind it up to 100 or fuck up you whole group since you are the only with 80 and you get dismounted.

So if skills between 60 and 80 make you competetive, are fast to raise to that leven and THERE ARE NO THRESHOLDS one character can be fine and will increase the impact of your actions. Hopefully we get to test this in alpha and fine tune it till persistent release since it´ll be a source of constant frustration if it´s balance wrongly.

Turbizzler

May 28, 2020
Fabernum
I see why 1 character was chosen - Adds to the whole decision making process, since going red, being an ass, having a specific role within a group will mean a lot more than in MO1, will put a bit more emphasis on player interaction...well if MO2 has a stable population. It might bore people only being able to do a small handful of things though.

I'll probably have 2 accounts, maybe 3 at some point, depending on how the new skill system works out. I like variety of having differing PvP and PvE builds to match the mood I'm in, or what materials/Items I need.

Zyconnic

May 28, 2020
Denmark
Having multiply characters, like in MO1, would also influence the trading between players. Self-sufficiency is, in my opinion, bad for a MMO as the game should encourage player interaction and player choices. When you're self-sufficient (like nearly all veterans in MO1) you have zero reason to trade with others and thus, the whole trading system was not working properly.

Then there is the whole flagging system..

One character per account encourage player interaction and player choices even though some aspect of the game will be semi-locked.. Still the pro's outweight the con's

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
I'm not going to hate on it until I can test it for myself.
Forcing people to interact more and not just have more characters to circumvent the downsides of having a mass murderer character can only be a good thing. But it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Reactions: Zbuciorn

a.out

May 28, 2020
Together with skill system revamp this is the very reason I'm so hyped for MO 2. That's exactly how it has to be.

Reactions: Zbuciorn

KermyWormy

May 29, 2020
California
I like the idea in general of the 1 character per account, I think there are some cool effects it can have on our gameplay, but I worry about how some of the systems from MO1 will not mesh well with it. I don't think they can do as much copy paste from MO1 in regards to some of the systems we interact with as they plan to, like they really need to consider how these systems will feel when you're tied into just having one character, otherwise there will be a lot of frustrations from both vets and new players.

One of the main ones I'd really like to see them address is the magic system. If we're being tied down to just one character, and we're going to need to choose between a physical playstyle or mage, then both sides of this coin need to be balanced and viable for similar things. If my one character is a mage because that is the RPG playstyle I enjoy and what I want to pursue, then it needs to be just as viable for basic hunting and gathering materials as a typical fighter is. I'm not talking about a hybrid who makes sacrifices in order to do both adequately, but a full mage.

Melee is cool, archery is cool, and I've played them because they're better at most general resource gathering activities in MO1, but I couldn't just be a mage that blows stuff up and be comparatively efficient with NPC farming as a fighter can be.

And it wasn't ever close unless you start investing in all these other skills that I have no interest in like using pets. To each their own, if you like that playstyle great, it should exist for you, but if I want to be a pure mage, which is a super basic class featured in nearly all RPGs we know and love, I should be able to be that, have fun and enjoy that, and be able to be successful with basic gameplay loops that standard fighters are.

This was a huge problem for MO1 for me and I assume many others as well, and especially new players who start a mage and invest time in it only to realize later they can't even really use it effectively to farm and make money. This problem will be multiplied in MO2 by being shoehorned into having just one character because now you don't have the option of making another character to fulfill that role you require only out of necessity for quality of life purposes.

Like I said, I like the idea and I want them to keep to it, but they need to understand that for it to work they can't just copy paste all the old systems into the new game, they need to realize the pain points that existed in the game that were worked around by the players themselves not because it was fun to do, but it was necessary to be successful.

Mages need more dmg on mobs, more fluid pre-cast and cast mechanics, more regen and/or vastly adjusted mana pools and spell costs in order to make it viable to do basic crap fighters can easily take for granted.

Zbuciorn

Jun 3, 2020
I like the idea in general of the 1 character per account, I think there are some cool effects it can have on our gameplay, but I worry about how some of the systems from MO1 will not mesh well with it. I don't think they can do as much copy paste from MO1 in regards to some of the systems we interact with as they plan to, like they really need to consider how these systems will feel when you're tied into just having one character, otherwise there will be a lot of frustrations from both vets and new players.

One of the main ones I'd really like to see them address is the magic system. If we're being tied down to just one character, and we're going to need to choose between a physical playstyle or mage, then both sides of this coin need to be balanced and viable for similar things. If my one character is a mage because that is the RPG playstyle I enjoy and what I want to pursue, then it needs to be just as viable for basic hunting and gathering materials as a typical fighter is. I'm not talking about a hybrid who makes sacrifices in order to do both adequately, but a full mage.

Melee is cool, archery is cool, and I've played them because they're better at most general resource gathering activities in MO1, but I couldn't just be a mage that blows stuff up and be comparatively efficient with NPC farming as a fighter can be.

And it wasn't ever close unless you start investing in all these other skills that I have no interest in like using pets. To each their own, if you like that playstyle great, it should exist for you, but if I want to be a pure mage, which is a super basic class featured in nearly all RPGs we know and love, I should be able to be that, have fun and enjoy that, and be able to be successful with basic gameplay loops that standard fighters are.

This was a huge problem for MO1 for me and I assume many others as well, and especially new players who start a mage and invest time in it only to realize later they can't even really use it effectively to farm and make money. This problem will be multiplied in MO2 by being shoehorned into having just one character because now you don't have the option of making another character to fulfill that role you require only out of necessity for quality of life purposes.

Like I said, I like the idea and I want them to keep to it, but they need to understand that for it to work they can't just copy paste all the old systems into the new game, they need to realize the pain points that existed in the game that were worked around by the players themselves not because it was fun to do, but it was necessary to be successful.

Mages need more dmg on mobs, more fluid pre-cast and cast mechanics, more regen and/or vastly adjusted mana pools and spell costs in order to make it viable to do basic crap fighters can easily take for granted.
Having less mages on the server will just make them more special.Foot warrior should be bread and butter and being magician would not be common and what is wrong with that.

Reactions: Rhias

KermyWormy

May 29, 2020
California
Having less mages on the server will just make them more special.Foot warrior should be bread and butter and being magician would not be common and what is wrong with that.
I think the inherent problem is that it's a playstyle that a significant portion of potential players for the game would like to play, if the gameplay itself is what discourages it and people are forced out of doing what they would like in a game they play for fun, then that in and of itself is not fun and drives people away.

Zbuciorn

Jun 3, 2020
I think the inherent problem is that it's a playstyle that a significant portion of potential players for the game would like to play, if the gameplay itself is what discourages it and people are forced out of doing what they would like in a game they play for fun, then that in and of itself is not fun and drives people away.
I understand your point of view but I personally don't like magic in games and just becouse 99%of MMO have it I rather see MO2 having this gamestyle limited to players who can commit to it.

KermyWormy

May 29, 2020
California
The thing is that they aren't trying to develop the game just for your particular interests, or mine for that matter, but rather for a lot of potential players.
And the issue isn't a matter of "commitment" but rather an issue of complete inefficiency. If you have one character and it is a pure mage, no matter of commitment is going to make it a profitable venture for you because your reagent costs and time to kill on standard basic mobs is so out of balance with the value of what you receive out of it that it's most often a net negative.

Reactions: Xunila and Amadman

Zbuciorn

Jun 3, 2020
The thing is that they aren't trying to develop the game just for your particular interests, or mine for that matter, but rather for a lot of potential players.
And the issue isn't a matter of "commitment" but rather an issue of complete inefficiency. If you have one character and it is a pure mage, no matter of commitment is going to make it a profitable venture for you because your reagent costs and time to kill on standard basic mobs is so out of balance with the value of what you receive out of it that it's most often a net negative.
I would like to see mage characters to require whole guild to support them.MO was orginaly planed as light fantasy not the world full of magicians spawning fire balls everywhare.There is plenty of games like that.I would like to be able to brew beer and will need to sacriface another more usefull crafting skills to do it.Hardcore players will have a few accounts anyway at one point.

Last edited: