Not so disposable mounts

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
most horses are quite fragile. if you dismount or get knocked off your horse (or just sit around a while in town) theres a good chance your horse will be targeted and killed with little time for you to react and little ability to realistically defend the horse. if you dont have mounted combat skills but are a foot fighter that just uses a horse mostly for transportation, you'll be reluctant to dismount near another player for fear they will ignore you but go for your horse instead, leaving you with no mount after dispatching them. if caravans become a thing, I fear it would be all too common for attackers to turn to griefing and just kill the horses leaving your caravan stranded.

i would rather mounts enter a 'disabled' state when they run out of hp, unable to move, unable to attack, unable to be mounted, but can have bags looted by anyone, or gear taken off them. once disabled, they will die in 10 minutes (or whatever time frame is appropriate) unless revived back to minimal health, killed via a coup de grâce, or receiving a huge amount more 'normal' damage. the revival or coup would be a long channeled action (10 seconds? 20 seconds?) that can be interrupted by being hit, taking damage, or moving so if there is a combatant nearby, they can interrupt it fairly easily.

the point is, it should remain fairly easy to disable someone's horse and prevent them from using it to escape. it should not generally be worthwhile to continue attacking the horse till dead after its disabled, as your opponents should pose a much greater threat at that point and require your full attention. getting waylaid while transporting a caravan (or indeed just while on a horse in general) would likely not leave you completely stranded if you win the battle.

another possible consideration is if you have the appropriate taming skills, making the revival of the horse also change ownership, but i'm not sure how the dynamics of letting people 'steal' horses in this fashion will play out... something to consider tho.

-barcode

Phen

May 29, 2020
Earth
I like what your bringing to the table here sir!
Just one small thing, its still a trade, so we have to allow death to horses. Breeding already creates a easy way to have a flow of mounts. Hopefully this changes, but personally I agree they need to find a way to make mounts less targetable. @barcode I would have to suggest:

-Mounts that take damage without knocking you down go dumb for a 2 seconds ( making them run wild as the player regains control ).

- When knocked down from Mount, your mount runs to the closest town ( or nearby stable ) for protection. This includes mount(s) hauling a wagon or bags. -Reworked Suggestion from @barcode - the disabling of mount damage ( they may take damage in the way out, though they wont be kos)

- Mounts can be called back to the fight if they aren't equipped with a wagon or bags.

-Mounts left sitting and damaged below 25% life will flee from area to nearest stable ( prevent pathway blocking ). -Fair Suggestion by @Smough

- Players can steal from mounts bags and wagons if thieves int is high enough ( or skill depending on the reworking of thieving ) *Note: Some mounts should recognize when being stolen from and cause a kick damage or move when action happens. "Maybe make noise too so others will notice."

-Tamers with high skill can obtain another players mount if that players mount has low loyalty towards their owner. ( Includes all items stored on mount, though ideally you'll be notified you lost your mount. ) "Oh the scares people would have seeing ' You're mount has been lost to low loyalty ' while transporting goods. " -Fair suggestion by @Teknique

-When knocked, a mount won't recieve damage for 2 seconds while it stands up and prepares itself to run away. *Note: if a player calls back the mount after the 2 seconds its won't retrigger the "run away" for 5-10 mins. "Risks vs reward?" -Reworked Suggestion from @barcode - the disabling of mount damage ( they may take damage in the way out, though they wont be kos by random occurrences )

Above are things I would like to see, mainly for both safety of mounts and creating a new strategy in mounted combat. Sounds like terrain will be a big factor now. For that I hope the mounts have some AI that makes them do some odd ends creating a more immersive riding experience. Plus thieves in this general ara stole mostly from wagons and horses, as it was easy to hide behind them.

-Phen
P.S. Can't wait to make my wagon trading company!! Fish for days!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Eldrath

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
You should be able to capture people's horses. Otherwise no, the equidae must die.

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
Sometimes people jam up doorways and points of access with mounts. The ability to remove them by force is gonna be necessary.
this is true, having a lot of parked horses in town can be a bad thing. i've seen other games where they allow for players to avoid collision with other players (and mounts in this case) in town while entering a mode that makes them move slowly and be vulnerable to attack. maybe that could be an acceptable solution if only allowed in towns, or maybe have pushing a mount force it to move a bit (or if in town, perhaps pushing it a lot will make it return to the stablemaster or some designated area for pets).

-barcode

Phen

May 29, 2020
Earth
You should be able to capture people's horses. Otherwise no, the equidae must die.

You technically can once they lose owner ship, I wonder if they will make tamers have the chance to tame others mounts if the mount has low loyalty to their owner. .. ima add that to my suggestions... you always got me adding stuff @Teknique

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
-Mounts left sitting and damaged below 25% life will flee from area to nearest stable ( prevent pathway blocking ). -Fair Suggestion by @Smough

Or they could return the wild, live amonst the mustangs. Would be cool to find your horse back in wild.

On a related note: I really really hope that horses move around instead of having fixed spawns. At least like those gamals in Sarducca.

Phen

May 29, 2020
Earth
Or they could return the wild, live amonst the mustangs. Would be cool to find your horse back in wild.

On a related note: I really really hope that horses move around instead of having fixed spawns. At least like those gamals in Sarducca.

I do believe Henrik mentioning mobs roaming more. There's always a fixed spawn but it sounds like they will roam like Gamals.

When it comes to running in the wild, that would just suck if you defened your ground and couldn't find your mount cause his type are across the map. I think running away would be fine though. Just not sure how to make it a good suggestion other than having them go to a set destination. Only reason I thought stables is because, if you die you could have a higher attempt to get your stuff. Though your mount would be very open until you got there. Also your killers would or should generally know where that mount is going so they could capitalize as well.

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
I do believe Henrik mentioning mobs roaming more. There's always a fixed spawn but it sounds like they will roam like Gamals.

When it comes to running in the wild, that would just suck if you defened your ground and couldn't find your mount cause his type are across the map. I think running away would be fine though. Just not sure how to make it a good suggestion other than having them go to a set destination. Only reason I thought stables is because, if you die you could have a higher attempt to get your stuff. Though your mount would be very open until you got there. Also your killers would or should generally know where that mount is going so they could capitalize as well.
If I was making it bang squad edition it would just be loot the horse and you got it.

If it was super realism i'd say you can disable horse kill player, apply veterinary to stabilize and then tame/dominate based on skills/lore. perhaps with lore checks on both stabilization and taming.

Reactions: Eldrath

Phen

May 29, 2020
Earth
If I was making it bang squad edition it would just be loot the horse and you got it.

If it was super realism i'd say you can disable horse kill player, apply veterinary to stabilize and then tame/dominate based on skills/lore. perhaps with lore checks on both stabilization and taming.

I think that would be possible with some of what I put above for suggestions. Just knock the player, mount would run unless player recalled mount. Once player dies if the attackers know where the mount is going they could have a tamer waiting near by to attempt stealing the entire mount and items. Also could just kill the mount afterwards to scavenge for whatever was there.

Who knows what they'll do.

PoisonArrows

Aug 7, 2020
Sometimes people jam up doorways and points of access with mounts. The ability to remove them by force is gonna be necessary.
lol i can't deny i was one of those people. A Big FAT Molva to block off entrances so the enemy just saw a Big Boy with a Hammer chuckling and walking forward menacingly haha No escape lmao. Good times.

PoisonArrows

Aug 7, 2020
But you can't deny my Caravan idea is a good one. It's at least one option for traveling a bit more tankier maybe it survives. Also multiple people can be transported at once.

Viknuss

Jun 6, 2020
www.youtube.com
I like the idea, but there are repercussions to this. Tamers as a profession will be in less demand. People will have their perfected horses on retention. Or lyks, or Molvas, or Bunta's etc.

Having a mount die, be it for whatever reason, is a teachable moment. You experience true loss. Having your mount become disabled, with a way to retain it, takes away from that. It would be very very convenient yes, and I would enjoy it, but is it the right move for a full loot hard core mmorpg?

Part of winning a mounted engagement was killing the horses of your enemies. You really wanted them to FEEL that loss.

Something I think would be good, is if once you are dismounted, you horse doesn't become stationary. It will dart off away from the fighting. Depending on the horses loyalty, and your animal handling skill, you could whistle to have it return to you, for remounting. I always thought horses standing still and being slaughtered was dumb.

Reactions: sigrace and Vagrant

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
I'm in favor of mercy mode for horses. I think this may already be a thing given springboks seem to mercy mode whenever you get them to one. I think they should still die if you take the shot after mercy mode.

You could allow spiritualists to rez pets though or maybe tie a rez to beast mastery.

lord_yoshi

Oct 3, 2020
It would be great if you could revive a mount for either a fee and/or stat loss. It would reduce the impact of naked spear griefing where a player just kills mounts in town with almost no consequences and would reduce the absurd cost of losing a mount that's worth far more than your entire loadout. It would be easy to implement as well since the mount could just gets flagged as dead and remains in your pet list until you remove it or revive it. You could also have it as a ghost that remains at the point of death until server reset, waiting for someone to revive it. There's a lot of ways you can implement this.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
It would reduce the impact of naked spear griefing where a player just kills mounts in town with almost no consequences and would reduce the absurd cost of losing a mount

Killing a pet should just be a straight murder count and flag you the same way attacking the player would. I'd just give it a timer like say 5 minutes where killing the person or additional pets owned by that person doesn't rack up additional murders.

That way killing someone with herding and 3 pets doesn't get counted as 4 murders. That would lead to a troll meta of a bunch of super weak pets to make your enemies rack up murder counts. But if you run up and just gank someone's horse or hunting hound or whatever you are appropriately flagged/penalized.

Last edited:

sigrace

Dec 10, 2020
Also capturing tamed horses should be a time consuming thing, but a possibility.

Yeah, killing an enemies horse in front of him can be fun. Killing him, taking his mount, then killing him again while riding his mount sounds more fun.

Maybe having a mechanic to break the horse. If someone else owned the horse before you would slowly have to whittle the loyalty meter down. Horses not loyal to you are more prone to running off in a random direction and bucking.