Neftan's "Posion and Drug Effects" Suggestion

Neftan

May 28, 2020
My Mind
Poison and Alcohol, as well as Nahuat and other implied drugs, were present in MO1. However, they had no effects, not even visually. My suggestions here would make them more advanced and important.

However, as an alternative to these suggestion, I would like to see at the very minimum - VISUAL effects for being drunk or consuming drugs.

Poison and Drug Effects -

• State Altering Compounds should have an effect on gameplay
    • Things like alcohol, plant based drugs
    • These things could produce effects that affect stat points, the visuals, or the control of your character (Or a mix there of)
      • Vision could blur, or have a color filter put over it.
      • PoV could change
      • Etc
    • Not all of these effects are good, there are good and bad
  • Introduce addiction that would heavily influence users
    • How it works
      • The more consumed, the worse the addiction
      • would result in less negative effects when used, more positive effects
      • There would be a limit to this
      • The longer this goes on, the higher tolerance becomes
        • This means more and more of the drug needs to be consumed in order to see the effects
      • After addiction reaches a certain point, you will have withdrawal if not high
      • Withdrawal will lower all stats associated with the drug
      • You would have to suffer for an amount of time relative to your addiction level to break free of it and regain your stats
      • -
  • Poisons should be able to be applied to arrows and weapons
    • Should need to be reapplied every few swings, or on every arrow.
    • The application of such things to your weapons should be a channeled skill with an animation, meaning you would have to become immobile to apply
    • Substantial chance of failure and poisoning yourself, if your character does not have points in Botany or other related Lores that are related to the poison.
      • This would reward people with lores by opening options to utilizing their available poisons
      • It would not be overly viable to abuse as a regular fighting character, or during active combat
  • All poisons are illegal.

Last edited:

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
Oh hell yes.

On that note, SV we need some pipes for that relaxation after chopping heads.
Pipe smoking some Nahuat is good for body and soul, that is until the Lictors come catch you in the act :ROFLMAO:

With inns becoming more important as log out spots, we do need ale and pipes etc to do in there. Or even go in the corner and do a hint of Somniferum eh ?

Neftan

May 28, 2020
My Mind
Oh hell yes.

On that note, SV we need some pipes for that relaxation after chopping heads.
Pipe smoking some Nahuat is good for body and soul, that is until the Lictors come catch you in the act :ROFLMAO:

With inns becoming more important as log out spots, we do need ale and pipes etc to do in there. Or even go in the corner and do a hint of Somniferum eh ?
This could go hand in hand with my interactive world thread, allowing more elaborate and inclusive animations.

May 29, 2020
Montreal, QC
im all for it too. animation could simply be a guy pouring a vial of something over his weapon. would look funny on a bow/crossbow but i guess ppl will understand.

addictions could get out of hand "mechanic wise" but would be cool to have. we need a way to cure these addictions to balance them.

also poisons should be more than just " hit the guy, the guy is poisoned for 2 poison dmg every second for 10seconds. " like ofc we need a damaging poison, but we need status poisons..

to balance it out we also need cooldowns between poisons. so no one player can get poison spammed. substantial cool downs too cuz if not full dex alvarin with stam/health poisons on throwing knives will always win duels and big group of archers can just spam down entire armies with health damaging poisons and we dont want to create a meta... just something ppl can use to give them a slight edge in combat. also visual queue for poison effects**

Neftan

May 28, 2020
My Mind
im all for it too. animation could simply be a guy pouring a vial of something over his weapon. would look funny on a bow/crossbow but i guess ppl will understand.

addictions could get out of hand "mechanic wise" but would be cool to have. we need a way to cure these addictions to balance them.

also poisons should be more than just " hit the guy, the guy is poisoned for 2 poison dmg every second for 10seconds. " like ofc we need a damaging poison, but we need status poisons..

to balance it out we also need cooldowns between poisons. so no one player can get poison spammed. substantial cool downs too cuz if not full dex alvarin with stam/health poisons on throwing knives will always win duels and big group of archers can just spam down entire armies with health damaging poisons and we dont want to create a meta... just something ppl can use to give them a slight edge in combat. also visual queue for poison effects**
I addressed most of the cons your presented.

It would be channeled, and per hit, so if using arrows or "throwing knives" each one would need to be coated individually. The user would need to have lore in the poison to use it properly, or else they have a high risk of poisoning themselves - so any build using poisons would potentially be missing out on other combat things.

Because of the above, there would be no spamming it. It would be more of a back line archer thing, or an assassin thing to do.

Addiction would be cured by simply not using a drug, over time. This is the biggest con of using an addiction build, if such a thing came to be - if you ever wanted to stop, you would need to spend a few days (or longer depending) with weakened stats.

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway

How is that gonna be in a group fight where several players focus one guy with poisons ?

Like after 1 poison duration he is "immune" for a certain time against all poison of its kind or ?

May 29, 2020
Montreal, QC
yeah kinda like that. kinda like a bandage. you have a bandage duration then you have a time frame where you cant reapply it.

henrik also said that there will be a fair bit of balancing needed for poisons to avoid utterly destroying pvp, like limitations or deminishing returns i guess

Neftan

May 28, 2020
My Mind
I don't get it, honestly. If 5 mages focus TL someone, they kill them, and it's balanced because it took skill for them to focus? If 5 fighters all swing and hit a guy about the same time, they kill him, and it's balanced because it took skill for them to focus?

So if 5 people shoot a lad with poison, and he dies, it's not balanced and the posion needs to be changed so it can't happen?

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
I don't get it, honestly. If 5 mages focus TL someone, they kill them, and it's balanced because it took skill for them to focus? If 5 fighters all swing and hit a guy about the same time, they kill him, and it's balanced because it took skill for them to focus?

So if 5 people shoot a lad with poison, and he dies, it's not balanced and the posion needs to be changed so it can't happen?
Thing is theres no defence against 5 mages so its not really that skilled and why it was used as a cheap tactic when you could not win real fights against your enemy.

5 fighters have to all hit and not get parried and get through the defence of the armor of said 1 guy. He can also move and dodge the hits so its skilbased to hit him as he has 3 defences against said group of 5. I have won several 5v1 situations and even worse odds back when MO took more skill and was faster paced.

It all depends on how poison works, how easy it is to hit with and how many defences a player has against it.

Lets take magic vs melee hits.
Magic is guarranteed hit if you release spell while targeting your target which is not very hard to do, full dmg is almost guarranteed and theres no defence against it except a RNG through Psyche so not the most reliable, you cant dodge it because once its off it hits, if you miss you fizzle.

Melee you have to get in range and aim your hit depending on armor you might have to aim for a certain body part aswell, this can be 100% negated through parry or decreased alittle through a block, you can also dodge hits since you need to be in close and you need stamina which burns real fast in combat if the target is moving and not standing there waiting for death. Also to note is that if you hit badly dmg is decreased, full dmg is only if you hit the sweetspot of your weapon, full dmg if you held the swing long enough and the hit did not get parried or blocked.

So as you see there are a big skill difference between hitting someone with guarranteed dmg vs not.

Cromwell

Jun 4, 2020
First of all, fix the damn taste ID skill, and make it primary, in MO1 everyone could tell you were handing them a piece of poisonous stuff or potion....it killed of all the fun of deceiving people with them hahahaha but I agree further effects and fun stuff should be added, specially poison on weapons, with limitations, this game meant to be a succesor of the legendary ultima online, in a way....isn't it? where are my poisonous cakes and my poisoned daggers/cutlass? hahahaha

May 29, 2020
Montreal, QC
@Neftan
its like, 5 person with poisoned longbows land a hit. they all do dmg like they normaly would. so maybe 25ish per arrow on ur badass steel armour. with poisons that do maybe 2-3 dmg per second for like 5 second (like a better corrupt)

u still get hit in the face for 125ish dmg and (like you say ALL the poison goes in) you get f*cked by 10-15dmg per second for 5sec (50-75 that there is nothing you can do about) so before you can realise that ur poisoned and put ur weapon away and drink a purify potion you're prolly dead at the start of the fight or out of no where cuz all the archer on the keep wall decided to focus you.

thats why you cant stack corrupt/debuffs in mo1 and that's why i think you shouldnt be able to stack poisons/corrupt and debuffs in mo2 too

Slammington Unchained

May 28, 2020
@Neftan
its like, 5 person with poisoned longbows land a hit. they all do dmg like they normaly would. so maybe 25ish per arrow on ur badass steel armour. with poisons that do maybe 2-3 dmg per second for like 5 second (like a better corrupt)

u still get hit in the face for 125ish dmg and (like you say ALL the poison goes in) you get f*cked by 10-15dmg per second for 5sec (50-75 that there is nothing you can do about) so before you can realise that ur poisoned and put ur weapon away and drink a purify potion you're prolly dead at the start of the fight or out of no where cuz all the archer on the keep wall decided to focus you.

thats why you cant stack corrupt/debuffs in mo1 and that's why i think you shouldnt be able to stack poisons/corrupt and debuffs in mo2 too
If you're pro enough to pull off a focus 5 man longbong, you deserve to have the OPness of stackable poisons

May 29, 2020
Montreal, QC
probably but, in mo1 u dont need to unsheat ur weapon to switch, so immagine dueling a mothfking alvarin full speed that runs around you switching pre-poisoned daggers stacking blinds/slows/poison dmg and stuff and it gets worst as he keeps hitting you lol. at some point there no defence against the stacking of poison even when 1v1.

im not against poisons or anything but at least make it so "poison is THE META" make it so it gives you an edge in pvp but not so OP that "YOU NEED" poisons when going into fights

Slammington Unchained

May 28, 2020
probably but, in mo1 u dont need to unsheat ur weapon to switch, so immagine dueling a mothfking alvarin full speed that runs around you switching pre-poisoned daggers stacking blinds/slows/poison dmg and stuff and it gets worst as he keeps hitting you lol. at some point there no defence against the stacking of poison even when 1v1.

im not against poisons or anything but at least make it so "poison is THE META" make it so it gives you an edge in pvp but not so OP that "YOU NEED" poisons when going into fights
I mean uh that's the whole point of poisons lol. That's like saying "make armor and cronite weapons good but it should only give you an edge, it shouldn't be the meta as it's incredibly OP compared to my bone tissue flakestone set." If naked thieves shanking you in your plate armor with their rusty shit-smeared dagger is too hardcore for you, go play World of Warcraft.