Need some insight into Mounted Archery build

WhiteGlint

Mar 28, 2021
I've been trying out a few build ideas in preparation for launch and while I have an idea in my head about what I want to play, the details could use some refinement from people who know what they're talking about.

I want to play a mounted archer that isn't a wheelchair on foot. From mounted archer builds I've seen, everyone still takes footfighting skills for when you get dismounted. So you're primarily trying to stay mounted, but you aren't a complete blob on foot either. I've seen people suggest Veela for this as you can still pull a 120 str bow with a 100 str Veela with the two clade gifts that reduce the str requirement for bows. But then I've also seen people say that they take magic on top of this to be able to heal their mount in combat.

The question is whether this would be stretching the Veela too thin in terms of the necessary attributes and skill points? So then you look to human, but you would be sacrificing footspeed due to lower dex and you would essentially have a Paladin build where you're pulling only a 106 str bow.

Without trying to make everything even more convoluted. Should I take magic for the sole reason of healing/purifying myself or my mount? Do I need 100 int for this use of magic to be worth it? How significant is the damage difference between a 106 bow and a 120 bow?

Land Cruiser

Jan 2, 2022
How to make 100 str veela?

I seen only 93 and 94 str builds.
So as veela you can use 113 and 114 bows.
Mostly MA using shortbows for 82 str. And you should have about 94 str to use this shortbow from mount without stamina drain.
Alternatively you can use assymetrical for 113 str, but it will drain your stamina after about 10-15 shots.

If you using this character primarily as MA you will use 125 lvl horse and good steel horse armor. In this case you will need magic + support skills + int

I'm personally using 74 str sheevra with 105 int as MA/party support + nuke dmg vs heavy armoured guys. I can use top short bows without stamina drain and good dmg. I can cast heavy damage and greater heal. I can damage with shortbow if I don't have mana. I can outrun other Clades. I have average magic damage and average mana pool. Light to medium armor depends how often you using magic.

Calcal

Dec 11, 2021

I seen only 93 and 94 str builds.
So as veela you can use 113 and 114 bows.
Mostly MA using shortbows for 82 str. And you should have about 94 str to use this shortbow from mount without stamina drain.
Alternatively you can use assymetrical for 113 str, but it will drain your stamina after about 10-15 shots.

If you using this character primarily as MA you will use 125 lvl horse and good steel horse armor. In this case you will need magic + support skills + int

I'm personally using 74 str sheevra with 105 int as MA/party support + nuke dmg vs heavy armoured guys. I can use top short bows without stamina drain and good dmg. I can cast heavy damage and greater heal. I can damage with shortbow if I don't have mana. I can outrun other Clades. I have average magic damage and average mana pool. Light to medium armor depends how often you using magic.
what's your dex though?

WhiteGlint

Mar 28, 2021

Tbh it's possible I got the number wrong.

Yea if I went more magic oriented on foot, Sheevra would be good. I forgot that MA's use shortbows on mount so I don't need such high strength. But 74 str is probably too low if I want to prioritize fighting on foot if I'm dismounted. I guess I'll probably start with the human paladin-like build first and move some skill points around to accommodate MA.

Land Cruiser

Jan 2, 2022
what's your dex though?
112 dex in stout, but you can be lean and have 117 dex and 69 str, but with lower hp.
1642020974521.png

Actually after some stamina drain tests I thinking about to lower my str 68 or 69 and still be capable shot 25 arrows from horseback with some additional psy and mana.

Last edited:

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Yea I was gonna say I'm using crep bows or DCs w/ Ma, you still bust ass in pve (esp w lore) and you can handle a dude's horse even dismounted. I just take MA because I need SOMETHING to defend with when I ride around. I have no interest in going full MA (like without fighting skills,) but if you did, you could really fit a lot of things in, like some magic. You can get rid of aggressive stance, wep, blocking if you use blocking, prol even endurance. But I'm like the dude who rides up shooting my machine gun and slides off my bike and starts going in haha.

Human w/ clade gifts like 20 ecu for horse heals + 15+15 mounted might be a good option. I'm gonna have a 110 str human again, but prol full khur.

breaktwister

Aug 17, 2023
What is the mechanic here re: using shortbows without stamina drain? They need to be 10 below your strength? Hence why the 82 str shortbows for a 93 str fighter? What about the Veela bonus?

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
What is the mechanic here re: using shortbows without stamina drain? They need to be 10 below your strength? Hence why the 82 str shortbows for a 93 str fighter? What about the Veela bonus?
MAs use mostly dense crepite short bows because they shoot fast and take no stamina, so you can shoot forever. The best short bows require minimum 82 strength. So technically a vheela, with bow clades, can use those bows with 62 strenght. Not sure why the OP was talking about 100 strength bows.

However, if you are planning on doing foot fighting, you'll want more than 62 strength(as well as max dex and con). 62 strength only works for wheelchair builds that want to have mana for healing their horse( also called arcane archer). Fighting on foot with 62 strength you will have low stam, low damage bonus, low armour weight and you'll be fighting people with almost twice your strength most likely. You are a very gimped foot fighter.

You just cant have it all. You have to give something up. You can make a footie with basic MA skills. This is probably the most common MA type. You do good damage as an MA but if your horse dies you switch to foot fighting.
However, if you start wanting mana to heal and cast spells you’ll have to gimp your foot skills but especially your stats. There is no way around.

Last edited: