Mortal Online 1 - Does it really need to shut down?

Would you play a freshly wiped MO1 if it was included in your subscription?

• Total voters

Backyard Employee

Oct 30, 2021
Many players have essentially 'checked out' entirely from the previous game, Mortal Online 1. The numbers now-a-days are the lowest they've ever been - the world is empty and devoid of players, perhaps still littered with an insufferable amount of TC which is held up by players still paying their taxes once in a while.

My proposal is simple. Don't shut down Mortal Online 1. It has a place to remain just like Mortal Online 2 does. But, let there be a few changes.

1. Completely wipe Mortal Online 1. Wipe all the accounts of their characters, wipe the banks, wipe the TC, wipe everything. Give MO1 a fresh start.
2. Include Mortal Online 1 in the subscription. Just like how World of Warcraft Retail subs include WoW Classic. This way, people who play MO2 can also play MO1 - but also means players who want to play MO1 must now subscribe to the game again.
3. Instruct a skeleton crew to manage & monitor MO1 for the very basic things such as restarts, or problematic crashes. But no longer will it receive updates of any kind.

I personally don't believe Mortal Online 1 should simply be snuffed out of existence to let the newer / prettier version take over. Some people might even go back to explore the older game to see where it came from, and perhaps there are those that would prefer the old to the new.

The only thing I wouldn't personally like.. is if they kept MO1 going, but -didn't- wipe it. The game would need a fresh start, and probably would benefit GREATLY from it.

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
37.76655478735988, -122.48572468757628
A freshly wiped MO1? If the wipe is complete and the game is subject to the same secuirity as Mortal Online 2 apparently is so far, a cautious person might indulge in it.
  • But it would compete with MO2 for attention.
  • But it would not be the same game.
  • But you, the player, would not be the same guy.
That's a lot of buts, even for a game with Fat Mages.

Maybe after a while it would feel pointless, for the first time for some, once again for others. If it did feel that way, when it felt that way, it would probably feel that way a lot sooner than at any time before. The Investment Fallacy can carry something just so far.

And the fate of a re-issued MO1 would be? It would inevitably come to an end.

Mostly, it would be SV wiping something they said they'd never wipe.

It just does not seem worth considering, to me.

Last edited:

Backyard Employee

Oct 30, 2021
I personally see no difference in a wipe, compared to completely shutting it down and taking away the potential experience it has to offer.

I could see a point being made of competition, but then again the games -are- different in a lot of ways already. I actually think it would drive numbers up overall. Because there again, the sub allows you to play both MO1 and MO2. (Given you've purchased MO2).

It feels pointless shutting it down other then to say it's "taking up time / money / resources" but we all know just hosting / maintaining a product with no further development wouldn't be hard.

Even ArenaNet does it for their original Guild Wars game.

Xunila

May 28, 2020
Germany
Many players bought a lifetime subscription together with the conflux package of MO2 or with the standard package plus upgrade. Most of them (taking my guild or other player friends) never logged into MO1 again after buying the package. I myself are just logging in to pay my houses because I want them to stay until the server shuts down. But I'm not "playing" MO1, even riding around and watching the few houses, keeps and territory control towers is very rare. But I know that there are active players around.

I personal don't care about the future of MO1. If the server shuts down at release day of MO2, fine. It's just a money sink for StarVault. They have to watch the server and pay for the infrastructure, pay GMs and so on. I don't know how much money the old servers and all the needed work costs, but I would rather put this money and time into MO2.

But for sure I would not start again in MO1 after a wipe. We have to spend very much time into MO2 to start on the clean system and to build up houses and keeps and run through the world. No time for MO1 at all.

Backyard Employee

Oct 30, 2021
Many players bought a lifetime subscription together with the conflux package of MO2 or with the standard package plus upgrade. Most of them (taking my guild or other player friends) never logged into MO1 again after buying the package. I myself are just logging in to pay my houses because I want them to stay until the server shuts down. But I'm not "playing" MO1, even riding around and watching the few houses, keeps and territory control towers is very rare. But I know that there are active players around.

I personal don't care about the future of MO1. If the server shuts down at release day of MO2, fine. It's just a money sink for StarVault. They have to watch the server and pay for the infrastructure, pay GMs and so on. I don't know how much money the old servers and all the needed work costs, but I would rather put this money and time into MO2.

But for sure I would not start again in MO1 after a wipe. We have to spend very much time into MO2 to start on the clean system and to build up houses and keeps and run through the world. No time for MO1 at all.

Correct, but again.. If there were players who would enjoy the MO1 experience again -or- players who would want to re-visit the game as it was.. that experience would no longer be available. It would be gone forever.

A good example is the preservation, albeit emulated and not 1:1, of World of Warcraft in its private server scenes. Some pop up to make money, some pop up to explore new ideas, but most usually come around to preserve the game as it was in -that- time. There are many other games that have done it as well.

Guild Wars, Runescape, Aion, Lineage, etc. I'm sure there are some others I don't know about but they are there for the experience or because there are players who wish to experience the game in that way.

I think most players of course do not touch MO1 for a few reasons.

1. TC / Assets everywhere.
2. Groups / Players sitting on hoards of items over the years.
3. No population due to the above, or other reasons (i.e. Left due to game design, bugs, etc.)

It's funny because many people I've spoken to who were dedicated players can tell you that MO1 can have a 'healthy population' on such low pops as 200 to 300 players.

And sure, you've moved on and your putting all your eggs in one basket - MO2. At least if MO1 was preserved as it is, even with its many issues in balance & design - we have an alternative to go to if some players think MO2 progresses in a direction they dislike, or if they wish to play both.

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
I made a similar suggestion when they first introduced the idea of MO2 and shutting down MO1.

Getting access to MO1 along with your MO2 could be perceived as extra value for the sub.

The big problem that prevents both a wipe and running the two together though is keeping with the idea of one world with one history.

The history of MO1 is the past of MO2. If you wipe then all the history of the world is lost and a new history begins. If you run them at the same time then you have new history being made in the past.

In the end, the past is the past. Forward we must go.

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
I feel that keeping MO1 online after MO2 goes live would simply take up time, effort and money from SV that could be dedicated to making MO2 as best as it could be.

As fun and dear MO1 was to many people including myself, having watched MO2 grow from its barebone beginnings to the promising future that it has today it is clear that MO1 has seen better days.

I personally feel that when the time comes, it is best to let MO1 sail into the sunset one last time, and embrace its bright future which will be in MO2.

Last edited:

Yeonan

Nov 28, 2020
I would rather put the money it takes to pay for MO 1 server and extra maintenance work to developing MO 2 into a game MO 1 could never be - which is exactly what SV is doing

If MO2 actually releases in January, that'll be almost 3 years since it was announced. So for 3 years they've been paying to keep the servers up for MO1 even though they effectively killed it by stating MO1 gets shut down when MO2 goes live.

Any costs they've incurred would've been mitigated by not announcing MO1 would be shut down and preserving at least a chunk of the player-base. Personally, I would've kept playing and paying this whole time.

If after MO2 went live MO1 became the graveyard it is now and it wasn't covering server costs, then of course shut it down.

Paying to keep it up this whole time with an impending shutdown was a dumb business move.

Though to the OP, not sure i see then sense in a wipe. I'd imagine players would be more likely to return if they came back to things they have a time investment in.

MolagAmur

Jul 15, 2020
If they wiped MO1 once they announced MO2 then sure, I could see a reason. If would give people that experience not everyone had. It would also give people something to pass the time while waiting for MO2.

But yeah, don't see a point now other than a handful of people preferring it over MO2...which others have said should receive the full attention and resources.

Weathermore

Apr 5, 2021
Honestly the better thing to do would be to host MO1 emulator servers (no subscription, wiped servers). It's a very popular trend. I don't think that MO1 servers should persist just for people to pay subscription to maintain their nostalgia, but I understand the necessity for this.

When Darkfall Online went dark, there were many changes to Unholy Wars that players in the game would constantly discuss being better in the original game. In fact, it was likely a big part that killed that second game, because it was just this constant discussion that people would have that alienated players from the current game who did not play the last game.

The key is to have the old game available to players to still play (to essentially see how that game was) while not cannibalizing the current game's population (which will likely be small already). It's a hard tightrope to walk.

Kameyo

Aug 14, 2020
I just hope SV has the respect for the old game to give it the send off it deserves. Henrik says he has plans to have an end world event. I hope they do and it last for a few weeks and not a few days to give us all time to react and relive some old memories.

Yeonan

Nov 28, 2020
I'd imagine keeping MO1 servers up during initial development was far more detrimental to MO2 then it would be post launch.

Even then I'm not understanding this pervasive assumption that MO1 in maintenance mode takes anything away from MO2.

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
There is only one Mortal Online...
It may be that ever since MO2 was announced the MO moniker no longer referred to one particular game (MO1) like it used to. Instead, MO has come to sort of refer collectively to everything Mortal Online, which would include both MO1 and MO2.

It may be necessary to make the distinction in order to avoid confusion.

Reactions: Najwalaylah

Hayasa

Aug 26, 2020
MO1 needs to shut down entirely. Doesn’t make sense having both games run. The only reason to log into MO1 is to look at your bank full of stuff you‘ll never use

Reactions: Serverus

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
It may be that ever since MO2 was announced the MO moniker no longer referred to one particular game (MO1) like it used to. Instead, MO has come to sort of refer collectively to everything Mortal Online, which would include both MO1 and MO2.

It may be necessary to make the distinction in order to avoid confusion.
Im not playing these trend games. MO stands for Mortal Online which there is only one, MO2 stands for Mortal Online 2.

This is the whole RPK vs PK debate all over...

Larxx

Nov 23, 2021
The graphics of MO2 are great.
But regardless of the graphics, I prefer MO1.
For me, its UI and combat system are more concise.

By the way, if anyone wants to sell oghmium/cronite 2h greatsword and armors, please contact me.
I want to try top gears before MO1 end.:LOL: