Mining / Gathering

Raknor

Sep 14, 2021
Hyllspeia
Doesnt seem to be working to me. MO1 had eventually made NPCs that gathered for you. Probably since no one wanted to do it with the pop so low too.

If no one wanted to do it why were prices on the broker so low? I saw tungsteel going for 150g in MO1... sounds like oversupply to me.

The best solution that other games have is that you truly AFK your basic resources and manage a system to get those basic resources. And they they make you go collect the more rare stuff your self. Hitting a rock all day for some basic resource that you need tons of for little reward or you can mine rare resources while passively making common resources.

You continue to ignore that there are people that enjoy this, have enjoyed it for years and continue to enjoy it. You don't, that is fine - just don't do it and let the others one continue what they been doing and we can create an economy around all this.

Starting to wonder if this "profession SP tree" was a good idea. It seems to have given the people the notion that just because you have profession skill points you must use them and everyone needs to be self sufficient.

Last edited:
Reactions: Woody

Woody

Apr 4, 2021
Doesn't the extremely popular and grindy game Runescape have the same kind of passive gathering mechanics to great effect? Yes it still requires some user input as to not be totally AFK but so does MO2. So I'd argue that contrary to popular belief, people do like these kinds of gathering mechanics in games, especially where skilling, wealth generation and crafting is involved.

Could it be better? Of course.

Last edited:

Valoran

May 28, 2020
One key element that is sort of missing at the moment is a dopamine rush achieved via satisfaction from gathering.

Mining rocks and felling trees can be a lot of fun without a minigame of any kind, so long as the animations, sounds and cadence of the actions are fun.

I would really like to see tree chopping similar to the game "The Forest", and i'm sure there are some great examples of satisfying mining out there as well.

Ultimately for me it's the visual representation of progress that is fun, and having the resources be completely static with a single number increasing in the inventory is a bit lacklustre.

One can only hope we see this sort of polish in the near future.

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
37.76655478735988, -122.48572468757628
Probably since no one wanted to do it with the pop so low too.
I was around when NPC Miners were.
I was in guilds that could have had NPC Miners at that time, and did not.
  • Per amount of time spent Mining, player Miners were better at it.
  • And we hardly ever rioted over unpaid wages. Like, never.
Frankly, when NPC Miners started, the population was not "to low too", if that even means what I think it mwans.
  • Your experience if much later in the game may have varied.
Some NPC Miners let us player Miners mine faster, when we could approach them.
  • Whether their slave-masters wanted you near them or not.
I get it that you don't want to Mine.
  • If and since you don't really want to Mine, your opinion of the process, though interensting, may be less relelvant.

Doesn't the extremely popular and grindy game Runescape have the same kind of passive gathering mechanics to great effect? Yes it still requires some user input as to not be totally AFK but so does MO2. So I'd argue that contrary to popular belief, people do like these kinds of gathering mechanics in games, especially where skilling, wealth generation and crafting is involved.

I do know that in Shadowbane, Mines were not something one worked in, but something one fought over control of. Perhaps some players in MO2 would prefer such a system.

Yeonan

Nov 28, 2020
It might be a good compromise to add an optional mini-game to mining/chopping. One that won't increase overall yield for the node, but simply speeds up the process.

So for instance if it normally takes 4 mins to deplete a node, maybe it could take 3 mins to deplete if you hit a "sweet spot" for each swing.

Might not be worth it for most people, but there would at least be some system and incentive to actively mine while not requiring it.