Melee Combat

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
So I'm doing that shit again where I talk about combat.

I want everyone to imagine combat frame by frame, imagine you are a role player if you want... just think about this scenario. Think about the complexity of MO combat.

Two people go at each other, one person decides the first thing they wanna do is draw a swing, and that's a powerful thing to do. It's not gonna get you anywhere by itself, but the other person basically loses their ability to do anything. They COULD, if they had some confidence, draw a swing back and try to do some fighting until they ended up in the position you are in, but since they drew late, you will have the advantage to start because you can always swipe them and move back.

If you add JUST THAT to MO mechanics, you got this 3d world where you can clip each other with the craziest swings, and you can block. That's even taking directional blocking out of it. Now, imagine it again with blocks and the arcs of each swing, the area you can cover with a swing, the time it takes to charge a swing, etc. That's even more complexity. HOWEVER! Right now swing charge seems LONG, swing speed seems SLOW, and parry window is NUTSO.

Maybe we could start tuning it toward offense 10% at a time? :eek:

I heard that fast swing speed favors good ping players, and while that's true, it also makes it hard to parry whore haha. So, as a whole, it is still a good change. I mean my doods, I got flaked during the speed increase. It was crazy, but it didn't feel unfair. It just seemed so fast, initially cuz MO is so slow!

Tashka

Dec 4, 2021
So, as a whole, it is still a good change.
Not if you aren't in EU. They tried it, people complained, they reverted it. They need to work on parry normalization and such before they increase combat speed.

Plus, it would buff melee which is strong enough as it is and shouldn't be done unless everyone else gets a buff.

Albanjo Dravae

Dec 20, 2021
Not if you aren't in EU. They tried it, people complained, they reverted it. They need to work on parry normalization and such before they increase combat speed.

Plus, it would buff melee which is strong enough as it is and shouldn't be done unless everyone else gets a buff.
i have something like 160-200ping and sometimes i can see EU fuckers hit me out of range or half down the swing animation, shits really garbage. Combat is clunky as fuck and it aint just lag and the speed this whole game is just a big placeholder poop.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021

I'm not in EU and I liked it, they didn't let it sink in long enough or explore some change but maybe not that much change, or make cheap weps not as good.

You guys imo robbed yourself of a good change esp considering it might give them reason to start adjusting things but if they do something then you guys are all like AIYE REVERT it's like ok mbe we should add something else for now.

Tashka

Dec 4, 2021
I'm not in EU and I liked it, they didn't let it sink in long enough or explore some change but maybe not that much change, or make cheap weps not as good.

You guys imo robbed yourself of a good change esp considering it might give them reason to start adjusting things but if they do something then you guys are all like AIYE REVERT it's like ok mbe we should add something else for now.
You may have liked it but thing is that the faster the combat, the bigger the advantage low-ping player get. Say, a EU player has 20 frames to observe a swing (just numbers i've made up) and an NA player only has 10 frames. Devs speed up the combat just a little, and now an EU player has 15 frames, while an EU player only has 5. For an EU player, the difference is 25%, but for an NA player, the time he has to observe a swing is now halved.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
You may have liked it but thing is that the faster the combat, the bigger the advantage low-ping player get. Say, a EU player has 20 frames to observe a swing (just numbers i've made up) and an NA player only has 10 frames. Devs speed up the combat just a little, and now an EU player has 15 frames, while an EU player only has 5. For an EU player, the difference is 25%, but for an NA player, the time he has to observe a swing is now halved.

Believe me, I understand it. I've also been playing games for awhile! I know the ping I get in MO, if I was back in p2p days, I would prol decline the match. I would take it if somehow dude was like talking mad shit, boredom, unranked w/e lol. It's not AWFUL but in a lot of games there are constant button presses. Even back in the day on NBA games, you had both analog sticks consistently updating, so you could 'lag' and 'oversteer' while someone wiggled their guy and got by you.

I think MO needs to get away from the whole reading swing thing, as I have expressed. MO works well MOSTLY... I say mostly cuz node lines + unexplainable lag... I mean everyone knows when lag happens, dudes in S America probably feel closer to a lag that actually affects inputs/screen.

The game is just laggy. I haven't been in EU so I can't explain how good it feels, but I have a feeling it's just inherently wonky. However, I can move my char as I want to most of the time, and that's the first step. MO1 combat was too fast/laggy for US. I don't think this is. I think there is a huge middle ground that they just dropped off without exploring, main idea.