Make it so you need Lore to see Resource Name

Nefnate

Jun 23, 2021
My Mind
Hello all,

I don't think it makes any sense that any old warrior with no training in loresknows exactly what rock or tree they are looking at. The same goes for wild plants.

I suggest that such things only show up as "Gather Rock/Wood/Plant" unless you already have the lore, so that at the very least they have to take the time to gather for moment to find out.

As a secondary suggestion, I think it would be even more immersive if they couldn't ID it from their inventory. If the icon was right, but the text description said "Unknown Wood/Plant/Ore" if the person didn't have the lore. Once a person either has the lore, or if another player (or an NPC) could identify it for them, they could see it from that point forward.

I understand these changes would make gathering more of a pain for non-crafters, but that is sort of the point. Different builds and roles should have different tasks to do. It isn't logical at all that someone trained to kill and butcher pigs can tell the difference between every plant, wood and rock in the world. There should at LEAST be margin for error, like if you sent a warrior out to get you wood, they might come back with the wrong type.

What do you think?

EDIT: Honestly I would also be okay with a simple toggle option to turn off the floating name tags/labels, my main issue is just how silly it feels to try and scan a forest and have every tree and plant name pop up in the middle of my screen.

Last edited:

Bernfred

Sep 12, 2020
It's how MO1 was, at least the first part of the suggestion. I found it a lot more immersive to not have everything labelled as I looked around.
lol yeah and most of my bad experience comes from that

Nefnate

Jun 23, 2021
My Mind
lol yeah and most of my bad experience comes from that
Could you define "bad experiences"? It could help me understand.

I don't really see why everyone should know what EVERYthing is, especially all the time. If we want everything to be accessible to everyone, why do we have lores at all?

Bernfred

Sep 12, 2020
Could you define "bad experiences"? It could help me understand.

I don't really see why everyone should know what EVERYthing is, especially all the time. If we want everything to be accessible to everyone, why do we have lores at all?
no ty i dont want to open databases on the internet or excel to know what this texture is

• Wow
Reactions: Nefnate

Kokolo

May 3, 2021
I don't think it adds much. Players will still know and tell each other what to look for and what they need. You can stream in Discord to your guildies if you are unsure.

What I would like to see however if ingredients hidden in cooking recipes if they are used less than 30% or 40% in the recipe. That way you would know you are getting spelt bread, but are not sure which ingredients gave the good stats you are eating. And I would hide this regardless of your lore levels. Cooking recipes need to be more hidden IMO.

Reactions: EZgold

EZgold

Jan 28, 2021
What I would like to see however if ingredients hidden in cooking recipes if they are used less than 30% or 40% in the recipe. That way you would know you are getting spelt bread, but are not sure which ingredients gave the good stats you are eating. And I would hide this regardless of your lore levels. Cooking recipes need to be more hidden IMO.
I like the hiding of ingredients in cooking product names. Even better let us name them just like the potions.
And I would like the option to combine foods, again like we can potions. Not bread with beer but beer with beer, bread with bread, soup with soup and so on. This way the product can keep the specific icon and type of food.

Nefnate

Jun 23, 2021
My Mind
I don't think it adds much. Players will still know and tell each other what to look for and what they need. You can stream in Discord to your guildies if you are unsure.

I like the hiding of ingredients in cooking product names. Even better let us name them just like the potions.
And I would like the option to combine foods, again like we can potions. Not bread with beer but beer with beer, bread with bread, soup with soup and so on. This way the product can keep the specific icon and type of food.
These two suggestions are good, but not directly related. Please make your own thread about cooking.

As for people streaming or asking for help... good! That's good. That shows teamwork, community. If that is what people did to work around a minor inconvenience, I am happy for it. That's what the game is about :)

It doesn't literally "add" a whole lot, no, but in a game that is designed around depth and has (hundreds) of available lores that all need to be individually learned, I feel like it makes total sense and is much more immersive. And for those complaining, it really isn't hard to skill up Botany or Petrology if you want to be able to survey and gather well.

Last edited:

Valoran

May 28, 2020
I have been advocating for this ever since the resources were added.

From my talks with Henrik, he agrees that it shouldn't show the resource names when targeting resources and instead simply let you know that you can chop it or mine it. We will have to wait and see if this ever happens.

This adds value to player knowledge, and a sense of real learning to the game just like MO1. I enjoyed riding around the game looking at all the resources and knowing what they are just by their visuals, and not because a tooltip tells me. The less things the game gives you for free without having to learn anything, the better in my opinion.

As far as resource names on items, I came up with this a few weeks ago:
1625163432780.png

Perhaps a similar system would work for woods and other materials.

I also would like to see more ambiguity in the stats of certain things such as herbs that become more accurate as your related lores increase, using a "less than x" or "more than x" rather than the sliders in MO1 that simply allowed you to look at the centre of the arrows.

This of course would only really come into play when someone is in the process of leveling up certain skills, but it adds to the game nonetheless even if it isn't applicable anymore once you get to 100.

Bernfred

Sep 12, 2020

From my talks with Henrik, he agrees that it shouldn't show the resource names when targeting resources and instead simply let you know that you can chop it or mine it. We will have to wait and see if this ever happens.

This adds value to player knowledge, and a sense of real learning to the game just like MO1. I enjoyed riding around the game looking at all the resources and knowing what they are just by their visuals, and not because a tooltip tells me. The less things the game gives you for free without having to learn anything, the better in my opinion.

View attachment 1897

I also would like to see more ambiguity in the stats of certain things such as herbs that become more accurate as your related lores increase, using a "less than x" or "more than x" rather than the sliders in MO1 that simply allowed you to look at the centre of the arrows.

This of course would only really come into play when someone is in the process of leveling up certain skills, but it adds to the game nonetheless even if it isn't applicable anymore once you get to 100.
it was horrible all you do is to tab out and google it again because you cant remember all the stats.
if henriks makes it true, 2 weeks after and mortalwiki data base has one page more.
it makes the world for everyone whos not into this profession smaller and boring just to give people who can see the stats the impression of being better end elite because they dont have to switch to the desktop.

Nefnate

Jun 23, 2021
My Mind
it was horrible all you do is to tab out and google it again because you cant remember all the stats.
if henriks makes it true, 2 weeks after and mortalwiki data base has one page more.
it makes the world for everyone whos not into this profession smaller and boring just to give people who can see the stats the impression of being better end elite because they dont have to switch to the desktop.
If anything you're arguing your personal feelings, and I am sorry you feel this way. Almost everything Valoran wrote depicts the OPPOSITE of boring. I don't have the capacity to try and make you understand our perspective, especially if Valoran's well thought out and articulate post didn't. I would appriciate it if you could take leave of the thread if you disagree so fully - you have made your opinion known, no need to keep it going. <3

View attachment 1897

This of course would only really come into play when someone is in the process of levelling up certain skills, but it adds to the game nonetheless even if it isn't applicable anymore once you get to 100.

I enjoy the thought and effort put here - I didn't have the presence of mind to articulate it so well at the time. Wonderful post, and I like your idea for the item descriptions too. I am glad there has been some communication from Henrik, as well. Hopefully something happens :)

Thank you!

Reactions: Valoran

Bernfred

Sep 12, 2020
If anything you're arguing your personal feelings, and I am sorry you feel this way. Almost everything Valoran wrote depicts the OPPOSITE of boring. I don't have the capacity to try and make you understand our perspective, especially if Valoran's well thought out and articulate post didn't. I would appriciate it if you could take leave of the thread if you disagree so fully - you have made your opinion known, no need to keep it going. <3
i dont know where its a personal feeling when you force poeple to use external data sources just to boost your feelings of beeing better then others by seeing the stats ingame instead of on your 2nd monitor. if you are stupid enough to farm till lvl 100 instead of using google, its your problem but dont drag the game down with "unrealstic" systems that are just working when you forgett 50% of the world.

if you want stats hiding, start with uniques like potions.

Last edited:
  • Haha

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
i dont know where its a personal feeling when you force poeple to use external data sources just to boost your feelings of beeing better then others by seeing the stats ingame instead of on your 2nd monitor. if you are stupid enough to farm till lvl 100 instead of using google, its your problem but dont drag the game down with "unrealstic" systems that are just working when you forgett 50% of the world.

That's just nefnate he pretends like he knows a lot about people and things ;)

• Sad

Kokolo

May 3, 2021
Gathering things I would keep visible, but crafted materials I would hide. Hiding it on all crafted materials would ensure ownership of recipes. Especially when it comes to new materials not yet in the game (I think they mentioned they would add more stuff than MO1).

Something nice for gathering could be like in MO1 where you wouldn't have a name and action visible in the UI, but once gathered in the inventory you know what it is. That way no googling is required and you still see what the material is, but it requires action and memory in game.

Nefnate

Jun 23, 2021
My Mind

That's just nefnate he pretends like he knows a lot about people and things ;)
Tek, I don't pretend anything. I do my best to entertain discourse respectfully and intelligently, which requires trying to identify and then understand where people are coming from. Notice a few posts up I genuinely asked Bern for more info so I could try to understand more (which he completely ignored, continuing to pout and say "no"). If you're referencing that time I called you out for being immature and argumentative in a twitch chatroom, yeah that's my bad for being so public about something. If you'd like to talk about it, feel free to send me a direct message.

Bernfred, no one is forcing anyone to do jackshit. This is where my patience becomes thin. You're speaking in definites when it is actually just bias. Literally no one is forcing you to use spread sheets or google, and your lack of ability to ID trees or rocks by color/shape is your own issue and I imagine one that is the minority. Something else to note, is that only my secondary suggestion included making things Unidentified in the inventory, meaning that my initial suggestion means that you could just gather whatever and see what it is. "Force" lmao please stop wasting time. You're being jaded and small minded.

Respectfully, I urge you to consider your words and thought processes more intently before throwing it on to a thread as an argument. Reading comprehension is important, so is the ability to set aside biases and trying to be objective.

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
I like the idea in the OP. A good part of this game for me is exploring and discovery. Save the spoon feeding for the casual themparks.

Sure, they can take it to far. But I dont think it is to far to need need to have something identified before you know what it is.

I have no issue with people finding/putting info online if that is what they want to do though. Players are still doing research to learn things. And some players will prefer searching online over figuring things out in game.

Besiders, having info about the game online could lead to more potential players being willing to put time into the game. So the more info online the better.

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
Tek, I don't pretend anything. I do my best to entertain discourse respectfully and intelligently, which requires trying to identify and then understand where people are coming from. Notice a few posts up I genuinely asked Bern for more info so I could try to understand more (which he completely ignored, continuing to pout and say "no"). If you're referencing that time I called you out for being immature and argumentative in a twitch chatroom, yeah that's my bad for being so public about something. If you'd like to talk about it, feel free to send me a direct message.

Bernfred, no one is forcing anyone to do jackshit. This is where my patience becomes thin. You're speaking in definites when it is actually just bias. Literally no one is forcing you to use spread sheets or google, and your lack of ability to ID trees or rocks by color/shape is your own issue and I imagine one that is the minority. Something else to note, is that only my secondary suggestion included making things Unidentified in the inventory, meaning that my initial suggestion means that you could just gather whatever and see what it is. "Force" lmao please stop wasting time. You're being jaded and small minded.

Respectfully, I urge you to consider your words and thought processes more intently before throwing it on to a thread as an argument. Reading comprehension is important, so is the ability to set aside biases and trying to be objective.
All is forgiven.

as for the topic of this thread I think both things are true.

when everything was a mystery in mo1 including the sliders it was a noob trap.

in mo2 perhaps the exact recipe combination being revealed isn’t ideal

Bernfred

Sep 12, 2020

you still dont understand that people dont play MO2 after hobby horse rules. its the same logic like not handling autohotkey macroing because you hope peeps dont use it. what you dont understand under "forcing players" is that most people will use external sites because human beings are acting effective.
its a super bad experience to see placeholders all over the world and you know you will never knew whats behind because you have just 1 account and 1 toon in theory, so people will use google to know if smth is worth or not. it doesnt make the game interesting, the opposite is the case. if you know whats out there, you will go after it but you wont chase air.