IMMEDIATE FEEDBACK on ARMOR! Update Armor Tiers before game release! A MUST READ to the serious player!!

Woody

Apr 4, 2021
You seem to have missed the point of that video.

If you actually listen to what Speznat/Wolfzeit is saying, he explains how what seems like a small difference is actually very significant.

We know through experience that the difference between steel and tungsteel is quite substantial.

Although I agree that metal armors are in a rough place right now because the stamina penalty is arguably too severe, the fact that people aren't wearing them on mass doesn't actually mean they arent good. People might simply choose to wear ironbone armor most of the time because they don't have a large reserve of steel to replace sets when they die, and are saving them for significant events.

Metal armors such as steel, tungsteel, cronite and oghmium saw the most prevalent use during large siege fights in MO1, even though most people would not want to wear it while solo roaming or similar.

There is also something to be said about player skill in regard to stamina management, and playing the exact same way while wearing steel as you would in a lighter material will of course result in you running out of stamina a lot more often with the current systems. I've talked about this in here before, but a lot of people that I see in their PvP videos have quite bad stamina management.

It really boils down to how much you needlessly move around, and how you behave when you do get low on stamina.

1. You will regenerate stamina at a much faster rate when standing completely still, so try not to walk around for no reason while you're fighting.

2. If you do get low, stand still and take a breather by just parrying your opponent instead of continuing to try and fight them while constantly running out of stamina. (Not so applicable when in a group fight)

Do the above, and you'll feel the penalty of metals a lot less, however this applies to fighting in light armor as well and is just more efficient.

This poses the question though as to why is it necessary to offer such entry level material alternatives for plate in the form of easy to acquire materials such as bone tissue, iron bone etc. If there's any justification for having easy to acquire (throwaway gear essentially), in the form of light, medium and heavy, then bone armor types should be given their own meaningful place in this logical progression.

Lights - Leathers, Furs, Soft materials (considerably easier to acquire and craft)
Medium - Mixture of Soft and Hard materials (harder to acquire and craft into decent pieces than light)
Plate - Hard forgeable materials (hard to acquire and craft)

We shouldn't just accept that the meta be that you get to wear "plate armor" in all scenarios with both throwaway sets and sets you use for sieges. There's just better implementations of this kind of progression through the lower tiers of armor types. Tiering armour appropriately also gives players at a glance better feedback as to what protection you have when they observe you simply based off the armor style and looks. They can then use the material type (colour etc) secondary to this assumption.

IMO it feels more varied and meaningful to see the usage of materials properly represented across the tiers of armor rather than adapt a material type to suit across all, just because we can. Also I'll state it again, bone isn't malleable as a material that could be forged into plate. Heh

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
Everyone seems to be talking around the fact that there will likely always be a type/material of armor that is best and worn by most, most of the time. I simply prefer if that isn't steel or something else that causes me to need to spend a high percentage of my playing time just to have armor and have little time to actually fight.

MMO'S with a big variety in styles of high end armor must accomplish their variety by having sets that only vary in looks with stats being similar, otherwise one will always be better.

The only way SV could make light armor viable would be to lower further the stam regeneration penalty, or to add speed penalties, or to buff their defenses. Any would simply bring about a new meta, not increase variety.

Evelyn

Jan 6, 2021
Bump for heavy weapon heads with ultra light materials needing balance. Emalj poleaxes are stupid, especially with the broken spear anims.

Reactions: Bernfred