Human dex dagger mage viable?

Kire

Dec 13, 2021
Hey!

I'm choosing the build for my character to play on release, gimme advice, please.

I decided I wanna play fast dex mage. I checked quite alot of builds and really liked this one https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2642886342

Diph's Daggermage Build. I liked the idea of self sufficiency and the possibility of farming solo.

Though, I want to change the race from Sheevra to Human.

This is what I came up with:

1639487299453.png

So, the differences:

Hu Sheevra
Combat speed -
246/424 vs 256(+6)/441(+10)

Mana
208 vs 171

Magic Resist
100 Psy vs 66 Psy

More interesting and useful glade gifts on Human side (imho)

Also, I consider to switch to pure mage (add necromancy and spiritism), once I feel I don't need dagger anymore.

So, the question is - is this guy gonna be viable compared to Sheevra?

I do lose quite a bit of dex, so

- Will I be able to kite Ricars (or whatever they are called)? Will I be able to outrun this kind of mobs with 424 running speed?

- Will I deal enough damage without bonus weak spot chance? (Elven high dex + Weak Spot Gift chance +5%)?

- As Human, I have better damage bonus (-8% instead of -15%) and can put more points (should I want to) into STR in order to use heavier daggers, will it outweight the "penalty" of having low weak spot chance?

- As Human, I can use better armor

Or maybe I should chill and just play Sheevra, just as build author advices?

Thanks, mates!

Last edited:
Reactions: Najwalaylah

oykd

Nov 26, 2020
this is the time you shoud just reroll and see it for you self i been rerolling my characters every week to what i want to do at realese date ! it just takes couple hours ! and you will see your self what good and bad between those two builds.

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
I’m no dagger expert, but right of the bat Diph says he doesnt reccomand this build with different clades because you lose weakspot chance.
the first thing you do is change the race and therefore change clades.

I mean maybe it will work, but i have a feeling hes tried it already. With a human.

also daggers need all the moving speed you canget because you will be constantly having to run right up against someone to actually hit him( super short range). Dex in itself isnt a huge running speed difference anymore. However the speed clades are what really set vheela/sheevra apart. Without them i really dont see you being able to finish anyone that runs away with your super short dagger.

i mean maybe it will work for you, and youll be happy with the extra armour and skill point from human, but you will have to rely a lot more on magic and a lot less on your daggers i think.

Reactions: oykd and Nefnate

Nefnate

Jun 23, 2021
My Mind
Hey!

I'm choosing the build for my character to play on release, gimme advice, please.

I decided I wanna play fast dex mage. I checked quite alot of builds and really liked this one https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2642886342

Diph's Daggermage Build. I liked the idea of self sufficiency and the possibility of farming solo.

Though, I want to change the race from Sheevra to Human.

This is what I came up with:

View attachment 2923

So, the differences:

Hu Sheevra
Combat speed -
246/424 vs 256(+6)/441(+10)

Mana
208 vs 171

Magic Resist
100 Psy vs 66 Psy

More interesting and useful glade gifts on Human side (imho)

Also, I consider to switch to pure mage (add necromancy and spiritism), once I feel I don't need dagger anymore.

So, the question is - is this guy gonna be viable compared to Sheevra?

I do lose quite a bit of dex, so

- Will I be able to kite Ricars (or whatever they are called)? Will I be able to outrun this kind of mobs with 424 running speed?

- Will I deal enough damage without bonus weak spot chance? (Elven high dex + Weak Spot Gift chance +5%)?

- As Human, I have better damage bonus (-8% instead of -15%) and can put more points (should I want to) into STR in order to use heavier daggers, will it outweight the "penalty" of having low weak spot chance?

- As Human, I can use better armor

Or maybe I should chill and just play Sheevra, just as build author advices?

Thanks, mates!

Is it viable? That is up for debate. The STR is very low, and daggers are tough to use in PvP. You would have extremely low melee output, and need to rely much more on magic, which is fine for PvP perhaps, but not so much PvE, as in most cases you can't mage safely while solo.

To answer your direct questions:
  • Yes, you can kite Risar, most races can.
    • The issue is that, you can't kite fast enough most of the time to charge an entire spell.
      • This goes for every race, I think.
    • You would need to lead in with a magic combo, then be mostly locked to melee.
    • You could escape, though. Most of the time.
    • -
  • Damage without weakspot ?
    • So, with 23 STR, even using a dagger, your damage is going to be low. Quite low.
    • In PvP, you will be like a fly.
      • This is made worse by the lack of weakspot chance, which is a chance to ignore armor.
    • In PvE, it depends.
      • Doing things like undead or fight wolves, it might be fine.
      • Having low damage in a long battle with a powerful Risar leaves you vulnerable to mistakes and chip damage.
        • They have big health pools and are meant to be a serious threat.
      • So, it depends on what severity of content you are looking at doing.
      • -
  • Is more STR with Human worth it?
    • You would lose mana and spell resistance, for Damage, Weapon Accessibility, Inventory Weight, and some stamina.
    • I think this is the path to take, it will make PvE and PvP easier by a landslide.
    • -
  • Just play Sheevra?
    • I think Human is the better choice all around for what I am seeing as your intention.
      • You have more flexibility in your build, and general 'tank' factor.

I think another option, if you want to main Mage, but be able to solo content, would be to pick up taming. Send in a beast to deal with the Risar, and support it. That is what I would do, personally.

• If you like flexibility, consider playing a full Tindremene. I play one as a hybrid mage / melee / tamer character.
    • I have 100 Str, 102 Dex, 100 Int, 17 Psy, and 98 Con.
    • I am not the best at anything, but, I have tons of options and have a lot of fun.
    • If I lowered my Str into my Psy, I can have a ton of mana, too.
      • Though having around 130 mana feels nice already.

Reactions: Solaris

oykd

Nov 26, 2020
Is it viable? That is up for debate. The STR is very low, and daggers are tough to use in PvP. You would have extremely low melee output, and need to rely much more on magic, which is fine for PvP perhaps, but not so much PvE, as in most cases you can't mage safely while solo.

To answer your direct questions:
  • Yes, you can kite Risar, most races can.
    • The issue is that, you can't kite fast enough most of the time to charge an entire spell.
      • This goes for every race, I think.
    • You would need to lead in with a magic combo, then be mostly locked to melee.
    • You could escape, though. Most of the time.
    • -
  • Damage without weakspot ?
    • So, with 23 STR, even using a dagger, your damage is going to be low. Quite low.
    • In PvP, you will be like a fly.
      • This is made worse by the lack of weakspot chance, which is a chance to ignore armor.
    • In PvE, it depends.
      • Doing things like undead or fight wolves, it might be fine.
      • Having low damage in a long battle with a powerful Risar leaves you vulnerable to mistakes and chip damage.
        • They have big health pools and are meant to be a serious threat.
      • So, it depends on what severity of content you are looking at doing.
      • -
  • Is more STR with Human worth it?
    • You would lose mana and spell resistance, for Damage, Weapon Accessibility, Inventory Weight, and some stamina.
    • I think this is the path to take, it will make PvE and PvP easier by a landslide.
    • -
  • Just play Sheevra?
    • I think Human is the better choice all around for what I am seeing as your intention.
      • You have more flexibility in your build, and general 'tank' factor.

I think another option, if you want to main Mage, but be able to solo content, would be to pick up taming. Send in a beast to deal with the Risar, and support it. That is what I would do, personally.

• If you like flexibility, consider playing a full Tindremene. I play one as a hybrid mage / melee / tamer character.
    • I have 100 Str, 102 Dex, 100 Int, 17 Psy, and 98 Con.
    • I am not the best at anything, but, I have tons of options and have a lot of fun.
    • If I lowered my Str into my Psy, I can have a ton of mana, too.
      • Though having around 130 mana feels nice already.
last week i was using lean veela hybrid 0 dmg bonus i did quite good with daggers did decent dmg and magic dmg was good if the enemy runned away
unless they hit me first :D
my opinion veela master race :D

Nefnate

Jun 23, 2021
My Mind
last week i was using lean veela hybrid 0 dmg bonus i did quite good with daggers did decent dmg and magic dmg was good if the enemy runned away
unless they hit me first :D
my opinion veela master race :D
That is something different entirely from what the OP is asking, he would have negative bonus and 23 str. If you have suggestions, make them to him :)

oykd

Nov 26, 2020
That is something different entirely from what the OP is asking, he would have negative bonus and 23 str. If you have suggestions, make them to him :)
didnt have negative bonus i went up to 0%dmg bonus rest points were for int psy !

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
I mean the meta builds are always going to be the best builds. But if you want to try something different and you like it then that's ok.

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
Keep in mind damage bonus adds up. You're definitely not winning a trade with this build.

Also str effects ur max stam, so your max stam is crap compared to any other fighters, and is even crap compared to alv mages who have more dext.

Also when I tried daggers in this game I was really unimpressed. Theres no way to get around block so stab only weapon in this game are really bad outside group fights where you can just hit people who arent trying to block you.

I think human mages have a lot of potential in this game because they have a ton of mana and can regen in heavier armor. But I've always hated low str hybrids. It feels like a waste of primaries to spec into. If you want melee you need to commit to making it good (high str and more primaries) otherwise you'd just be better off using magic or running 99% of the time.

Alternatively go higher str and be a high mana human hybrid, and use not daggers. You will be doing a lot less damage with magic and using it to finish targets while chasing or heal yourself / allies. But your melee is actually decent.

But its beta, I'd say if you want to try it try out the 20 str dagger mage. I think it will feel bad but you could like it. Nothing helps more than trying something out yourself.

Calcal

Dec 11, 2021
Did you ever try the build out? would be curious to hear your thoughts

Tashka

Dec 4, 2021
Theres no way to get around block so stab only weapon in this game are really bad outside group fights where you can just hit people who arent trying to block you.
You can land a hit when the enemy is charging a weapon and you have good enough reflexes and good enough ping so you can stab and immediately parry. Or you can punish overhead swings 'cuz you're cool and fast. It's a very dangerous playstyle though since any mistake and you loose 30-60% of your tiny health pool (that's with steel armor, i wouldn't even try this on a mage lmao).

Veradey

Jun 9, 2021
With only a 100dex you will be too slow to be a light mage. Youd have to consider some sort of heavy tank mage to pve and even pvp since you cant get away from anything, nor do enough melee damage comparatively. You also have have a low HP pool. Personally I think you would make things very hard on yourself

pooternackle

Mar 21, 2021
Sadly it is impossible to be a competitive dex build that is non-alvarin. Alvarin dex bonus is just too excessive, and combined with clade gifts, only the most obese alvarin will be outpaced by any other clade. Non-alvarin dex mages are especially gimped since they either have to sacrifice dex by going old age or sacrifice magic damage by going young.