Housing...

Biaxil

Aug 28, 2021
Quick question regarding it? How will it work. I doubt it will be instanced because i don't think this take will have any. So with it probably being in the open world, will there be limited plots or can you build anywhere? If you can build anywhere, i could imagine all of the added assets in the environment really stressing the servers as well as people's systems. Ive seen it happen in arch age and last oasis, causing extreme frame rate drops or crashing.

Reactions: Najwalaylah

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
37.76655478735988, -122.48572468757628
Nothing instanced in a Mortal game; that's been a principle. I doubt that will change?

Limited plots were in the first iteration followed by building lots of things (not just houses) almost-- but not absolutely-- everywhere. The Devs will do, this time, whatever they think caused the fewest problems for the game over all. Even if that means limited plots, there's a lot of free real estate out there.

[[FORM]Fnord

Last edited:
Reactions: Tuhtram

Xunila

May 28, 2020
Germany
The spots will not be limited like in the first years of MO1 when we had fixed house spots in the world. But spots will be limited in a way because you need enough flat and empty space to place a house not touching rocks or trees.

Philthie

Sep 13, 2020
I have never been able to find if anyone made a good guide on modular housing stating styles and whether things like stables or bankers were still possible in a normal player house without having to use actual TC ones.

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
I have never been able to find if anyone made a good guide on modular housing stating styles and whether things like stables or bankers were still possible in a normal player house without having to use actual TC ones.
Star Vault made a pretty detailed guide in PDF format to their MO1 Modular Housing system, and it's no longer online-- I did look for it. No joy.

If anyone has a copy, the answer to your question might be in it.
. The Devs will do, this time, whatever they think caused the fewest problems for the game over all. Even if that means limited plots, there's a lot of free real estate out there.
And as per what @Henrik Nyström said in his latest Twitch stream, you will have free House placement in Morta lOnline 2, but not too close to cities, dungeon entrances, & content that would be 'blocked' by construction. Houses will get storage Chests, floor & wall texture options (as usual with Mortal modular housing, for a price), decorative items (for a price; maybe from Tinkerers?), and Workbenches. Prices of House Deeds & upkeep are not yet decided,

Last edited:

Biaxil

Aug 28, 2021
Star Vault made a pretty detailed guide in PDF format to their MO1 Modular Housing system, and it's no longer online-- I did look for it. No joy.

If anyone has a copy, the answer to your question might be in it.

And as per what @Henrik Nyström said in his latest Twitch stream, you will have free House placement in Morta lOnline 2, but not too close to cities, dungeon entrances, & content that would be 'blocked' by construction. Houses will get storage Chests, floor & wall texture options (as usual with Mortal modular housing, for a price), decorative items (for a price; maybe from Tinkerers?), and Workbenches. Prices of House Deeds & upkeep are not yet decided,

Theoretically couldn't a group of people build a giant wall of houses that could block off content, if it were far enough, or even worse crash a server from asset overload?

Chef

Sep 17, 2021
Theoretically couldn't a group of people build a giant wall of houses that could block off content, if it were far enough, or even worse crash a server from asset overload?
Crash the server? no. Block off content? To a degree yes.

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
Hypothetically, yes. (We'd have to test that, and by "we" I mean SWIM¹

In MO1, someone set a forest fire outside Moh'ki using about forty Campfires that nearly broke the locale, so maybe enough of anything in a line... Hm.

¹ Someone Who Isn't Me.

Biaxil

Aug 28, 2021
Crash the server? no. Block off content? To a degree yes.

In last oasis, a guild created a wall of crafted vehicles to form a blockade around the node that acts like a heart of a city. They put so many of them up that it caused that specific server to become unstable, so yes a server can crash from too many assets.

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
In last oasis, a guild created a wall of crafted vehicles to form a blockade around the node that acts like a heart of a city. They put so many of them up that it caused that specific server to become unstable, so yes a server can crash from too many assets.
I've heard serious & convincing discussion in the first iterantion of MO about building a wall out of banks instead of wall sections.

Also I seem to recall a ramp built out of gaming tables for getting over a wall.

Last edited:
Reactions: Biaxil

Chef

Sep 17, 2021
MO2 =/= LO... In MO1 people did make a lot of walls that blocked off content yes, but the way server nodes were set up you couldn't just spam buildings in an area and expect the entire game to collapse. Actually, it would be difficult to crash a single node with how TC worked in MO1.

In MO2 I doubt SV would design TC such that having enough buildings placed would mean significantly lagging/crashing the server.

Biaxil

Aug 28, 2021
MO2 =/= LO... In MO1 people did make a lot of walls that blocked off content yes, but the way server nodes were set up you couldn't just spam buildings in an area and expect the entire game to collapse. Actually, it would be difficult to crash a single node with how TC worked in MO1.

In MO2 I doubt SV would design TC such that having enough buildings placed would mean significantly lagging/crashing the server.

Aren't the way these single shard mmos are made, are by weaving many servers together, which each server acting as an area or like a zone from games like everquest?

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
Aren't the way these single shard mmos are made, are by weaving many servers together, which each server acting as an area or like a zone from games like everquest?
The Zones in EQ are not a great example. Those Were The Days, though.
Bagbokk: "Train to xone, unless I fucking well feel like Feigning Death."
Almost all servers (not just for games) are multiples, I bet, at this time.