Give Monster Ai the ability to count number of players. Reducing damage and defense/resist of monsters for solo players.

PoisonArrows

Aug 7, 2020
Guild names or anything else probably won't work since players can find work arounds to exploit it. So I figure the simplest solution the monster will have a Radius of like 50 feet. It will count all players in that area. If it counts 2 players then it's damage, defense/resist will be the same. But if it counts just 1 player then it will deal reduced damage and have less defense/resist and take more damage from the solo player. But the moment a 2nd player enters it's range it will have the normal amount of damage, defense/resist so that players can't exploit it and farm it faster.

• Angry
Reactions: Fang

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
37.76655478735988, -122.48572468757628
Guild names or anything else probably won't work since players can find work arounds to exploit it. So I figure the simplest solution the monster will have a Radius of like 50 feet. It will count all players in that area. If it counts 2 players then it's damage, defense/resist will be the same. But if it counts just 1 player then it will deal reduced damage and have less defense/resist and take more damage from the solo player. But the moment a 2nd player enters it's range it will have the normal amount of damage, defense/resist so that players can't exploit it and farm it faster.
This is an interesting idea.
Unfortunately for this idea, I'm not sure the creature AI has anything to do with the damage it does or the way it resists anything you can throw at it, or the defenses it puts up. It probably doesn't.

• There's a history of discussion involving @Sebastian Persson about the AI for MOBs like Risar and Bandits that might spawn as a raid, make a camp somewhere in the wilderness, and keep enlarging their presence all the while creeping toward the nearest town. IIRC, the point was that playsers would be able to ignore the Incursion and let it grow, if they couldn't be arsed-- but grow it would, and at some point be capable of resisting all efforts to wipe it out. ... A LOT of discussion on this. I don't know if that's coming in Mortal Online 2, but it was thought out and maybe nearly ready to go some time ago. We'll see, in these interesting times ahead.

This Idea: It is also a form of instancing.

I think there's a philosophical argument outlined, here, and that you will be on one side and the Devs on the other. It's normal, natural, and forgiveable for a player to think that MOBs exist for them to kill. That's partly true. But they also exist, and this is very clear in Mortal games, to kill you, unless you can kill them first, and to make you use up reagents, and to remind you that there is power & 'safety' in numbers.

Laylah's W Sig by Rathius_X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett.png

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
Having more people to kill a boss faster is not exploiting. Its team work. Its exactly how bosses are intended to be killed; by groups of people.

Reducing damage/ defences for single players only helps solo players. Bosses should not be farmable by solo players. They are group content.

if anything bosses in this game need to have higher defences period. Make it require 5 to 10 people to even be able to attempt.

Reactions: Kelzyr and Kokolo

Kelzyr

Sep 22, 2020
Yeah I agree with jack on this one. It isn't exploiting to work with a group, if anything it should be encouraged (same reason why we only have one character slot).

I've never found bandits or risars that hard to tackle solo, you just have to make sure you only pull one at a time.

By no means should any of the bosses be soloable, that would defeat the purpose.

EZgold

Jan 28, 2021
Dumbing down content to suit solo play is not acceptable. We have to accept (and celebrate) that some content is meant only for groups. If you want to experience that content join a group or if all you want is the loot just buy it from a hard working group.

Reactions: bbihah

PoisonArrows

Aug 7, 2020
Having more people to kill a boss faster is not exploiting. Its team work. Its exactly how bosses are intended to be killed; by groups of people.

Reducing damage/ defences for single players only helps solo players. Bosses should not be farmable by solo players. They are group content.

if anything bosses in this game need to have higher defences period. Make it require 5 to 10 people to even be able to attempt.
When I was talking about exploiting it was referencing the idea I posted. So example: One might think guild names could be a good way for the Ai to scan who is around to attack it. But If 1 player walked up to a boss and it had lowered stats because it only saw 1 guild player and then a player that was in the same guild on a alt, attacked it with the idea of not joining the guild as to exploit the boss, because now the boss or monster in question has lower stats then it originally would. So I thought if they wanted to help solo players they could just make the Ai have a scan radius that scans for all players in the area and the boss/monster would determine it's stats difficulty. And for this idea I was really just thinking about Normal monsters not bosses. So that Farm Time, and gold gained is better for the solo player who would need to replace their weapons a lot faster then a group and thus get negative return on investment. I know a lot of players who just killed Skeletons/Bandits/Scoundrels/RazorPigs in Mo1 for the longest time because there wasn't enough weaker monsters to invest time into farming, because reward vs weapon durability only worked on certain monsters, until they introduced Sarducca Ma cricket/Golden Danburru/ Akrep Farming.