Game Mechanic: Mobility in Jumping

Nefnate

Jun 23, 2021
My Mind
EDIT: This is not me trying to balance the Alvarin race in PvP, or anything of the like. This is me trying to say that I think the jump height in combat mode for 3 of the 4 races feels gross and clunky. I dont want to nerf Alvarin, or really comment on balance in that sense. I just feel I should be able to jump more than a foot off the ground when sprinting with my weapon out, regardless of race. Anyway, details below:

Right now, in my and many others opinion, Alvarin are objectively the most fun race to play if you're on foot. They are fast, they have increased combat jump height, swim longer, and take less fall damage. It makes everything else feel boring to me.

It's also seriously annoying to go from an Alvarin and being able to jump over a small fence in Combat Mode, and then to a Human and barely leaving the ground...

My suggestion:
  1. First, allow ALL races as a basic mechanic to be able to jump full height in combat mode.
    1. Yes, remove this from being an Alvarin only thing, or even a clade thing.
    2. Make it normal - or make it a passive under Jumping that we need to get a good book for.
  2. Second, in place of the Clade Gift allowing Alvarin to do this, make the clade a small flat bonus to all jump height.

Alvarin would still be set apart due to their speed and other utilities, and would still jump higher. This however would make every other race feel less slow and clunky in comparison when it comes to combat mode.

What do you think?

Last edited:
Reactions: Snozzle and Tuhtram

MolagAmur

Jul 15, 2020
You guys are really trying to strip Alvarin of everything that makes them unique. Every thread I read seems like they want to nerf their speed and now this. You gotta realize 99% of mages are Alvarin and them being able to jump onto something to escape a 30% damage bonus warrior is one of the few ways for them to survive.

These threads are getting silly.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
The other clades are fun, thats why people are largely playing those instead of Alverian which is really strong.

Nefnate

Jun 23, 2021
My Mind
You guys are really trying to strip Alvarin of everything that makes them unique. Every thread I read seems like they want to nerf their speed and now this. You gotta realize 99% of mages are Alvarin and them being able to jump onto something to escape a 30% damage bonus warrior is one of the few ways for them to survive.

These threads are getting silly.
I'm not complaining about their balance really in PvP, just in general. I feel like most of us can agree that it feels really gross to have to sheathe and attempt jumps and redraw. To me, it is less about Alvarins and more about the game in general. I dont see why sprinting with a weapon out halves our jump potential. It feels clunky.

I did add in the same suggestion that Alvarin could have a flat bonus to jump height, still, which would still enable them to get away more effectively. I am not an expert in balance - this is all subject to those who are. I just seriously feel that is a poor mechanic that I can't jump over a fence that barely touched my thigh when I have a weapon out if I am not an Alvarin.

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
37.76655478735988, -122.48572468757628
I feel like most of us can agree that it feels really gross to have to sheathe and attempt jumps and redraw. To me, it is less about Alvarins and more about the game in general. I dont see why sprinting with a weapon out halves our jump potential. It feels clunky.
I've seen relay (races) where batons are passed, and hurdling races, and shuttle relays where there is a team running hurdles together-- but they aren't holding batons. I suppose it can be done, and could be done by someone sprinting with a sword. Not going to see it in schools and competitions, but doable by an athlete who didn't mind the danger of falling and cutting or stabbing himself. Heh, a chance of that happening is too much realismm for Mortal Online 2, though.

But the reason I agree with you
that reaching only half of jump potential while running with something pointy is excessive is that it seems like punishing you for carrying something in hand, but not really for how much it weighs and slows you down. Athletes do run and carry things. Slower people can't jump as high over hurdles. If you're still fast 'enough' with a weapon out, then you should be able to reach most of your jump, not half of it. 75%?

Last edited:
Reactions: Tuhtram and Nefnate

Nefnate

Jun 23, 2021
My Mind
I've seen relay (races) where batons are passed, and hurdling races, and shuttle relays where there is a team running hurdles together-- but they aren't holding batons. I suppose it can be done, and could be done by someone sprinting with a sword. Not going to see it in schools and competitions, but doable by an athlete who didn't mind the danger of falling and cutting or stabbing himself. Heh, a chance of that happening is too much realismm for Mortal Online 2, though.

But the reason I agree with you
that reaching only half of jump potential while running with something pointy is excessive is that it seems like punishing you for carrying something in hand, but not really for how much it weighs and slows you down. Athletes do run and carry things. Slower people can't jump as high over hurdles. If you're still fast 'enough' with a weapon out, then you should be able to reach most of your jump, not half of it. 75%?

View attachment 2060
I didn't factor in the dangerous aspect of it because I assumed that when running from someone trying to behead you, you'd stop caring (probably). It's a good point though. Thanks for the feedback :)

EDIT:
If this change came in the form of a passive skill under Athletics -> Jumping, the skill could factor in damage chance on jump. I don't see why not! Just chip damage though, or it may be too much.

Reactions: Najwalaylah

Anabolic Man

Sep 7, 2020
EDIT: This is not me trying to balance the Alvarin race in PvP, or anything of the like. This is me trying to say that I think the jump height in combat mode for 3 of the 4 races feels gross and clunky. I dont want to nerf Alvarin, or really comment on balance in that sense. I just feel I should be able to jump more than a foot off the ground when sprinting with my weapon out, regardless of race. Anyway, details below:

Right now, in my and many others opinion, Alvarin are objectively the most fun race to play if you're on foot. They are fast, they have increased combat jump height, swim longer, and take less fall damage. It makes everything else feel boring to me.

It's also seriously annoying to go from an Alvarin and being able to jump over a small fence in Combat Mode, and then to a Human and barely leaving the ground...

My suggestion:
  1. First, allow ALL races as a basic mechanic to be able to jump full height in combat mode.
    1. Yes, remove this from being an Alvarin only thing, or even a clade thing.
    2. Make it normal - or make it a passive under Jumping that we need to get a good book for.
  2. Second, in place of the Clade Gift allowing Alvarin to do this, make the clade a small flat bonus to all jump height.

Alvarin would still be set apart due to their speed and other utilities, and would still jump higher. This however would make every other race feel less slow and clunky in comparison when it comes to combat mode.

What do you think?

I agree but jumping should cost less stamina with an Alvarin, so he can jump out of range more often and can make a jumping Overhead attack. ATm you can´t do that, becuase jumping cost so much Stamina ! It is just fun i loved to make jumping overheads during the early beta.

Reactions: ulfy and Nefnate

Nefnate

Jun 23, 2021
My Mind
I agree but jumping should cost less stamina with an Alvarin, so he can jump out of range more often and can make a jumping Overhead attack. ATm you can´t do that, becuase jumping cost so much Stamina ! It is just fun i loved to make jumping overheads during the early beta.
Thank you for the feedback! I like your suggestion as a possibility :)